* Where is nilfs2 fsck
@ 2016-02-08 18:53 David Niklas
From: David Niklas @ 2016-02-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alas, my beautiful fs has become damaged and fsck does nothing, I think
it's a nop.
What is wrong, something in the btree, the original message was in
syslog but it seems to have rotated, I could tell you but I'd have to
cause my kernel to remount my home dir RO, which is not acceptable at
this time.
I'm not interested in the files that can't be accessed, I was trying to
delete them when I found the error so even an experimental fsck would do.
I do have nilfs2-utils installed but I can't find anything useful in
there.
Do I need to backup and reformat the partition?

Thanks, David

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: Where is nilfs2 fsck
@ 2016-02-08 19:41 ` Viacheslav Dubeyko
From: Viacheslav Dubeyko @ 2016-02-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Niklas; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi David,

On Mon, 2016-02-08 at 13:53 -0500, David Niklas wrote:
> Alas, my beautiful fs has become damaged and fsck does nothing, I think
> it's a nop.
> What is wrong, something in the btree, the original message was in
> syslog but it seems to have rotated, I could tell you but I'd have to
> cause my kernel to remount my home dir RO, which is not acceptable at
> this time.
> I'm not interested in the files that can't be accessed, I was trying to
> delete them when I found the error so even an experimental fsck would do.
> I do have nilfs2-utils installed but I can't find anything useful in
> there.
> Do I need to backup and reformat the partition?

The fsck utility hadn't been implemented for NILFS2. So, you haven't
another way that to reformat your partition.

There is an experimental branch in nilfs repository this some initial
state of fsck utility. But mostly it does nothing, as far as I can
judge.

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.

* Re: Where is nilfs2 fsck
@ 2016-02-08 21:53   ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2016-02-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-nilfs

On 08.02.2016, David Niklas wrote:

> Alas, my beautiful fs has become damaged and fsck does nothing, I think
> it's a nop.
> What is wrong, something in the btree, the original message was in
> syslog but it seems to have rotated, I could tell you but I'd have to
> cause my kernel to remount my home dir RO, which is not acceptable at
> this time.
> I'm not interested in the files that can't be accessed, I was trying to
> delete them when I found the error so even an experimental fsck would do.
> I do have nilfs2-utils installed but I can't find anything useful in
> there.
> Do I need to backup and reformat the partition?

There is no fsck.nilfs or similar, so yes. Nilfs2 automatically recovers most
of the time, though, so there may be underlying hardware failure. I've
been using it extensively in the last 2 years, and never seen a single
fs damage which didn't get recovered immediately.

* Re: Where is nilfs2 fsck
@ 2016-02-08 21:53   ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2016-02-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA