* [diamon-discuss] Diamon Meeting on Tuesday February 9th, 2016, at 11h EDT (15h UTC)
@ 2016-01-28 20:08 Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2016-01-28 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diamon-discuss

Hi,

Following the blog post published two weeks ago [1], we would like to
propose organizing a phone meeting with all interested members of this
workgroup on February 9th to gather feedback and ideas for improvement
on the subject of measuring and detecting high response time.

At EfficiOS, we have developed a kernel module for monitoring at run-time
the delay between the moment the kernel starts processing an interrupt
(do_IRQ) and the moment the target task gets scheduled in or has finished
processing the data.

When a high latency is detected, it emits a tracepoint event and can
wakeup a user-space script to take arbitrary actions as soon as
possible.

The main intent is to provide an entry point in a kernel trace. After
that, everyone has their own methodology to process the trace. The blog
post illustrates what we can do with LTTng as an example but the
detection and triggers are not coupled with any tracer.

The proposed agenda is a discussion around these points:
- presentation of the scope of the problem
- limitation of the current tools
- overview of the latency_tracker module applied for this use-case
-- current state
-- use-cases
-- future plans
- from the audience: comments, ideas, other approaches, etc.

If you have other points you would like to discuss around this subject,
please let me know and I will add them.

Also, if you wish to attend but can't make it at the proposed date and
time, let us know.

The details for the conference call will be sent soon.

Thanks,

Julien & Mathieu

[1] https://lttng.org/blog/2016/01/06/monitoring-realtime-latencies/

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: [diamon-discuss] Diamon Meeting on Tuesday February 9th, 2016, at 11h EDT (15h UTC)
@ 2016-02-04  9:31 ` Oberhuber, Martin
From: Oberhuber, Martin @ 2016-02-04  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers, diamon-discuss

Hi Mathieu,

This looks like a very interesting approach and I've read the Blog,
but unfortunately I can't make the 9th.

I don't think I would have much to contribute, but I am certainly
interested in what others say. Could the session be recorded, or
meeting notes posted? - Otherwise I'd be available from the 15th on,
in case you'd consider moving the session.

Two questions came up for me when reading the blog,

1. Julien writes  "We are not trying to solve a problem related to the interrupts
   being masked for too long (ftrace already has some tools to help with that)."
   Which are those tools? Any pointer would be appreciated.

2. I really like the general usefulness of the latency_tracker and the many clever
    ways it can be configured / leveraged - but it feels like an expert tool to me,
    where you'd very clearly have to know what you're doing. Are there any ideas
    making such expert tools more usable and discoverable by general users ?

Many thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner - Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

@ 2016-02-08 19:00   ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-02-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oberhuber, Martin; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Hi,

> I don't think I would have much to contribute, but I am certainly
> interested in what others say. Could the session be recorded, or
> meeting notes posted? - Otherwise I'd be available from the 15th on,
> in case you'd consider moving the session.
We did not receive any other requests for moving the meeting, so we will
do it tomorrow, I will try to record it.

> Two questions came up for me when reading the blog,
>
> 1. Julien writes  "We are not trying to solve a problem related to the interrupts
>    being masked for too long (ftrace already has some tools to help with that)."
>    Which are those tools? Any pointer would be appreciated.
I was refering to the irqsoff tracer in ftrace.

> 2. I really like the general usefulness of the latency_tracker and the many clever
>     ways it can be configured / leveraged - but it feels like an expert tool to me,
>     where you'd very clearly have to know what you're doing. Are there any ideas
>     making such expert tools more usable and discoverable by general users ?
Indeed for now it is not very user-friendly as we are still defining all
the knobs that we want to expose to the users. When we will have
gathered enough feedback we will see if how we can adapt this to make it
more easy to approach.

Thanks for the feedback,

Julien

* Re: [diamon-discuss] Diamon Meeting on Tuesday February 9th, 2016, at 11h EDT (15h UTC)
@ 2016-02-08 19:13 ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-02-08 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Hi,

Here is the information for tomorrow's call:
February 9th, 2016, at 11h EDT (15h UTC)

Conference: 415-906-5657 PIN: 88326
URL for the screen sharing: www.uberconference.com/mdolan

Local International phone numbers are available at:
https://www.uberconference.com/international

Please note anyone dialing using the international numbers need to dial
the local international number for the country they are in, then enter
the US conference number (4159065657), and then enter the PIN
(88326).

Julien

@ 2016-02-09 16:02   ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2016-02-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diamon-discuss

The conference call is starting now. See you there,

Thanks,

Mathieu

--

@ 2016-02-14 11:37   ` Al Grant
From: Al Grant @ 2016-02-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez, Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Hi,

I have read the blog and this looks a very useful technique but unfortunately I
couldn't make the call.  Are slides/minutes available?

My main question is not actually technical - it's about the prospects for getting
this into mainline Linux.

Thanks,

Al

@ 2016-02-16 21:15   ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2016-02-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oberhuber, Martin, Mike Dolan; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Hi Martin,

We are trying to clarify with Mike Dolan whether the recording
feature of the conference system was working or not during the
call. As far as I can see, it did not appear to have worked,
even though the option was enabled in the conference system. :-(

Thanks,

Mathieu

@ 2016-02-16 21:22     ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-02-16 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: diamon-discuss, Mike Dolan

Mike confirmed to me that the recording did not work, so I am annotating
the slides to add a little bit more context and I will send them very
soon.

Julien

@ 2016-02-16 21:37       ` Michael Dolan
From: Michael Dolan @ 2016-02-16 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Sorry all, not sure what happened on the last call. I had a conflict so wasn’t there, but Julien, maybe you and I should try a practice run before the next meeting?

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org
---

@ 2016-02-18  4:41     ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-02-18  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Grant; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Hi,

We are currently setting up a place on the diamon website so we can
upload the slides, I will send the link soon.

Regarding the mainlining, we intend to push this projet upstream. Before
that, we are working on more measurements/benchmarks, stability testing
and usability improvements.

Also, one things that we would like to investigate before sending the
patches is the possibility of using eBPF/bcc to handle the probes while
keeping the latency-tracker as the backend to keep the state and all the
more advanced interactions with the kernel. That way, we could combine
the flexibility/safety of eBPF and the efficiency of the
latency-tracker.

Thanks for your feedback, I will keep this list updated of the progress
we make on that front.

Julien

@ 2016-02-18 13:44       ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2016-02-18 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez, Alexei Starovoitov, Brendan Gregg; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Adding Alexei and Brendan in CC, they will likely be interested
in the eBPF discussion.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--

@ 2016-02-18 19:40 Alexei Starovoitov
From: Alexei Starovoitov @ 2016-02-18 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: Josef Bacik, iovisor-dev, Alexei Starovoitov, diamon-discuss,
	Brenden Blanco

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:
> Adding Alexei and Brendan in CC, they will likely be interested
> in the eBPF discussion.

yep :)
please cc iovisor-dev as well for ideas you guys have around
making use of bpf kernel bits with 'latency-tracker'.