* vendor extension moratorium?
@ 2016-02-17  8:55 Christoph Hellwig
       [not found] ` <20160217085508.GA3578-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-02-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

While doing heavy lifting in the RDMA stack I keep running into
badly designed vendor extensions over and over.

Is there any support for requiring that we'll only add features that
actually are peer reviewed and standardized before keeping on piling
up crap?  It seems like at least vendors seems to be fighting for death
by features unfortunately.

* Re: vendor extension moratorium?
       [not found] ` <20160217085508.GA3578-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-02-17 10:02   ` Leon Romanovsky
       [not found]     ` <20160217100207.GB30450-2ukJVAZIZ/Y@public.gmane.org>
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-02-17 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Or Gerlitz

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:55:08AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> While doing heavy lifting in the RDMA stack I keep running into
> badly designed vendor extensions over and over.
>
> Is there any support for requiring that we'll only add features that
> actually are peer reviewed and standardized before keeping on piling
> up crap?  It seems like at least vendors seems to be fighting for death
> by features unfortunately.

Your description of current state is pretty accurate, except one thing -
there are a lot of actively used code in user space with real consumers
which eager to get new features.

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the adding and exporting
of new IB features?

@ 2016-02-17 15:05       ` Christoph Hellwig
       [not found]         ` <20160217150500.GA8164-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-02-17 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Or Gerlitz

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:02:07PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the adding and exporting
> of new IB features?

Mostly by slowing down and asking if there is a) a real need and
b) if this really is the right interface.

@ 2016-02-17 19:18           ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-02-17 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Or Gerlitz

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 07:05:00AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:02:07PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the adding and exporting
> > of new IB features?
>
> Mostly by slowing down and asking if there is a) a real need and
> b) if this really is the right interface.

Every vendor has different opinion on (a) and (b). It is not scalable.