* "kdumpbase" dracut module
@ 2016-03-19  7:29 ` Ronit Halder
From: Ronit Halder @ 2016-03-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I want to know what is the job of "kdumpbase" dracut module.

* "kdumpbase" dracut module
@ 2016-03-19  7:29 ` Ronit Halder
From: Ronit Halder @ 2016-03-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, kernelnewbies

I want to know what is the job of "kdumpbase" dracut module.

* "kdumpbase" dracut module
  (?)
@ 2016-03-21  2:59 ` Freeman Zhang
From: Freeman Zhang @ 2016-03-21  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

From: Dave Young @ 2016-03-21  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 03/19/16 at 12:59pm, Ronit Halder wrote:
> I want to know what is the job of "kdumpbase" dracut module.

Suppose you are using Fedora or RHEL, it is a out of tree module for creating
kdump initramfs. Fedora package kexec-tools will install it to dracut module
directory.

Thanks
Dave

* Re: "kdumpbase" dracut module
@ 2016-03-21  6:26   ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2016-03-21  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronit Halder; +Cc: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, kernelnewbies

@ 2016-03-21 13:55     ` Ronit Halder
From: Ronit Halder @ 2016-03-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for helping

So, this module is used to dump the crash kernel.
Am I right?
If not then can you explain how kdump kernel calls the makedumpfile?

* Re: "kdumpbase" dracut module
@ 2016-03-21 13:55     ` Ronit Halder
From: Ronit Halder @ 2016-03-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: Ronit Halder, initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, kernelnewbies

@ 2016-03-22  0:41       ` Freeman Zhang
From: Freeman Zhang @ 2016-03-22  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 3/21/16 9:55 PM, Ronit Halder wrote:
> Thanks for helping
>
> So, this module is used to dump the crash kernel.
> Am I right?
> If not then can you explain how kdump kernel calls the makedumpfile?

You are absolutely right Ronit. By the time the second kernel is booted,
this module will start a service called kdump-capture, which will
execute kdump.sh, which will invoke makedumpfile after all, depending on
your kdump configuration.

All the best!
Freeman

From: Freeman Zhang @ 2016-03-22  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronit Halder
  Cc: dyoung-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA,
	ronit.linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	kernelnewbies-7JyXY6prKcjpASu1u0TL5ti2O/JbrIOy,
	zhezhang-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA