* Translating perf events to raw event codes via sysfs
@ 2016-03-22 10:31 Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2016-03-22 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukadev Bhattiprolu; +Cc: Peter Zijlstra, LKML

Hi Sukadev,

I'm curious about commit e0728b50d480 ("powerpc/perf: Export Power8
generic and cache events to sysfs"). This commit translates perf
high-level event names into raw codes but only on one architecture for
one CPU.

While I can see how that is useful, I'm wondering why this was implemented
as being specific to a single processor family. Should this not be done
generically for all architectures? I accept that translating event names to
raw codes for perf can be difficult but there are also tools like evt2raw
whose output can then be used with perf.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

* Re: Translating perf events to raw event codes via sysfs
@ 2016-03-22 10:33 ` Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2016-03-22 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukadev Bhattiprolu; +Cc: Peter Zijlstra, LKML

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:31:21AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> Hi Sukadev,
>
> I'm curious about commit e0728b50d480 ("powerpc/perf: Export Power8
> generic and cache events to sysfs"). This commit translates perf
> high-level event names into raw codes but only on one architecture for
> one CPU.

Never mind, it's obvious to me now even if only one power8 CPU is
supported.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs