* v2.29 plan: kill mtab
@ 2016-04-07 10:54 Karel Zak
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Karel Zak @ 2016-04-07 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

libmount supports three scenarios:

 1) regular classic /etc/mtab

 2) /etc/mtab symlink to /proc/self/mount -- in this case libmount uses
    /proc/self/mountinfo and /run/mount/utab

 The current default is to detect symlink and on-the-fly switch
 between 1) and 2).

 3) --enable-libmount-force-mountinfo -- don't care about the symlink and
    always use /proc/self/mountinfo. This is robust solution required
    for example by systemd, because unfortunately sometimes people use
    broken stuff (init scripts, tools, etc.) which removes the symlink.

 I'd like to make 3) default, the question is what with mtab code:

    a) #ifdef all mtab code (and add --enable-libmount-support-mtab)

    b) remove mtab support at all (because it's evil and horrible code)

 Comments?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: v2.29 plan: kill mtab
@ 2016-04-11  4:35 Robby Workman
From: Robby Workman @ 2016-04-11  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: kzak

Karel Zak wrote:

> libmount supports three scenarios:
>
> 1) regular classic /etc/mtab
>
> 2) /etc/mtab symlink to /proc/self/mount -- in this case libmount uses
>    /proc/self/mountinfo and /run/mount/utab
>
> The current default is to detect symlink and on-the-fly switch
> between 1) and 2).
>
> 3) --enable-libmount-force-mountinfo -- don't care about the symlink
>    and always use /proc/self/mountinfo. This is robust solution required
>    for example by systemd, because unfortunately sometimes people use
>    broken stuff (init scripts, tools, etc.) which removes the symlink.
>

> I'd like to make 3) default, the question is what with mtab code:
>
>    a) #ifdef all mtab code (and add --enable-libmount-support-mtab)
>
>    b) remove mtab support at all (because it's evil and horrible code)
>
> Comments?

We still use SysV init because it suits our needs just fine, and we
have no plans to migrate to systemd in the foreseeable future, so
we don't have any other compelling reason to use anything other than
classic /etc/mtab. As such, we'd certainly appreciate, at the very
least, leaving the mtab support in util-linux.

-RW