* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 18:55 Steve Rae
From: Steve Rae @ 2016-04-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Tom & Albert,
Please approve the creation of a custodian repo for the Broadcom (arm) boards.
( Wolfgang already has my public key... )

Wolfgang stated:
> Before I can set up a new custodian repo, please post your
> offer on the U-Boot mailing list -  I think the chips in question
> belong to the ARM architecture (?), so both the ARM custodian (Albert)
> and Tom should agree with the creation of such a new repo.  Once I
> have their "go" it is only a matter of minutes.

Thanks!
Steve

* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 21:37 ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2016-04-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 04/11/2016 12:55 PM, Steve Rae wrote:
> Tom & Albert,
> Please approve the creation of a custodian repo for the Broadcom (arm) boards.
> ( Wolfgang already has my public key... )
>
> Wolfgang stated:
>> Before I can set up a new custodian repo, please post your
>> offer on the U-Boot mailing list -  I think the chips in question
>> belong to the ARM architecture (?), so both the ARM custodian (Albert)
>> and Tom should agree with the creation of such a new repo.  Once I
>> have their "go" it is only a matter of minutes.

Will bcm283x/Raspberry Pi changes go through any such repo too? Either
way is fine by me; I just need to know whether to Cc Steve or not when I
post patches, and perhaps update some MAINTAINERS entries so others can
do that too.

* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 21:40   ` Steve Rae
From: Steve Rae @ 2016-04-11 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I would prefer NOT to handle bcm283x (raspberry pi) stuff....
        (That project is really outside of Broadcom Ltd's control...)
Thanks, Steve

@ 2016-04-11 21:56 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-04-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:55:49AM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:

> Tom & Albert,
> Please approve the creation of a custodian repo for the Broadcom (arm) boards.
> ( Wolfgang already has my public key... )
>
> Wolfgang stated:
> > Before I can set up a new custodian repo, please post your
> > offer on the U-Boot mailing list -  I think the chips in question
> > belong to the ARM architecture (?), so both the ARM custodian (Albert)
> > and Tom should agree with the creation of such a new repo.  Once I
> > have their "go" it is only a matter of minutes.

So, I do have a few BCM patches outstanding (and I'm build testing them
now).  ELC kicked -rc1 out a week (I'll be tagging it once I have this
series happy enough to push out with it).  Are you expecting the volume
of boards to increase?  Thanks!

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 22:01   ` Steve Rae
From: Steve Rae @ 2016-04-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tom,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:55:49AM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
>
>> Tom & Albert,
>> Please approve the creation of a custodian repo for the Broadcom (arm) boards.
>> ( Wolfgang already has my public key... )
>>
>> Wolfgang stated:
>> > Before I can set up a new custodian repo, please post your
>> > offer on the U-Boot mailing list -  I think the chips in question
>> > belong to the ARM architecture (?), so both the ARM custodian (Albert)
>> > and Tom should agree with the creation of such a new repo.  Once I
>> > have their "go" it is only a matter of minutes.
>
> So, I do have a few BCM patches outstanding (and I'm build testing them
> now).  ELC kicked -rc1 out a week (I'll be tagging it once I have this
> series happy enough to push out with it).  Are you expecting the volume
> of boards to increase?  Thanks!

No -- only planning to add 2 new boards....
It is just that with the current process, I waiting "months" to get
patches applied - so Marek suggested that maybe I need to be a
custodian, so that I can move things along....

@ 2016-04-11 22:08     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-04-11 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:01:10PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:55:49AM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
> >
> >> Tom & Albert,
> >> Please approve the creation of a custodian repo for the Broadcom (arm) boards.
> >> ( Wolfgang already has my public key... )
> >>
> >> Wolfgang stated:
> >
> > So, I do have a few BCM patches outstanding (and I'm build testing them
> > now).  ELC kicked -rc1 out a week (I'll be tagging it once I have this
> > series happy enough to push out with it).  Are you expecting the volume
> > of boards to increase?  Thanks!
>
> No -- only planning to add 2 new boards....
> It is just that with the current process, I waiting "months" to get
> patches applied - so Marek suggested that maybe I need to be a
> custodian, so that I can move things along....

Er, months?  Sorry, I'm not seeing it right away at least:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=*
(and questions about how did .... get into state ... ? are answered with
"I took a stab at it").

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 22:13       ` Steve Rae
From: Steve Rae @ 2016-04-11 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:01:10PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
>> Hi Tom,

>> > So, I do have a few BCM patches outstanding (and I'm build testing them
>> > now).  ELC kicked -rc1 out a week (I'll be tagging it once I have this
>> > series happy enough to push out with it).  Are you expecting the volume
>> > of boards to increase?  Thanks!
>>
>> No -- only planning to add 2 new boards....
>> It is just that with the current process, I waiting "months" to get
>> patches applied - so Marek suggested that maybe I need to be a
>> custodian, so that I can move things along....
>
> Er, months?  Sorry, I'm not seeing it right away at least:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=*
> (and questions about how did .... get into state ... ? are answered with
> "I took a stab at it").

how about:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=
shows two outstanding from Feb 9  !!!
(plus the three that I assume you are currently working on.....)
Thanks, Steve

@ 2016-04-11 22:34         ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-04-11 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:13:37PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:01:10PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
> >> Hi Tom,

> >> No -- only planning to add 2 new boards....
> >> It is just that with the current process, I waiting "months" to get
> >> patches applied - so Marek suggested that maybe I need to be a
> >> custodian, so that I can move things along....
> >
> > Er, months?  Sorry, I'm not seeing it right away at least:
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=*
> > (and questions about how did .... get into state ... ? are answered with
> > "I took a stab at it").
>
> how about:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=
> shows two outstanding from Feb 9  !!!
> (plus the three that I assume you are currently working on.....)

... yes, the gadget ones that wouldn't go through a BCM tree anyhow :)

But... I think I mis-assigned them in patchwork and it should be in my
queue anyhow, sorry.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] Custodian Repo for Broadcom (arm) boards
@ 2016-04-11 22:54           ` Steve Rae
From: Steve Rae @ 2016-04-11 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:13:37PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:

>> > Er, months?  Sorry, I'm not seeing it right away at least:
>> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=*
>> > (and questions about how did .... get into state ... ? are answered with
>> > "I took a stab at it").
>>
>> how about:
>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=
>> shows two outstanding from Feb 9  !!!
>> (plus the three that I assume you are currently working on.....)
>
> ... yes, the gadget ones that wouldn't go through a BCM tree anyhow :)
>
> But... I think I mis-assigned them in patchwork and it should be in my
> queue anyhow, sorry.

OK -- then I am OK to abandon this "custodian request" .....

I guess I just need to know:
-- what is a "typical" timeframe for getting stuff applied, and
-- "how" and "who" to nudge in order to get things moving along - when
that timeframe has expired....
-- how to escalate when those "nudges" seem to be ignored....

Thanks, Steve

@ 2016-04-12 12:55             ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-04-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 03:54:01PM -0700, Steve Rae wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:

> >> how about:
> >> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?submitter=64015&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=
> >> shows two outstanding from Feb 9  !!!
> >> (plus the three that I assume you are currently working on.....)
> >
> > ... yes, the gadget ones that wouldn't go through a BCM tree anyhow :)
> >
> > But... I think I mis-assigned them in patchwork and it should be in my
> > queue anyhow, sorry.
> >

> OK -- then I am OK to abandon this "custodian request" .....
>
> I guess I just need to know:
> -- what is a "typical" timeframe for getting stuff applied, and
> -- "how" and "who" to nudge in order to get things moving along - when
> that timeframe has expired....

Well, this was probably the outside edge of it.  I saw these before
making v2016.03 but since it's a tricky enough area I didn't want to
grab them before release.  Then I figured they would get picked up by
the custodian for v2016.05-rc1.  They didn't since I mis-assigned them.

> -- how to escalate when those "nudges" seem to be ignored....

Well, if something is posted after $X-rc1 and not merged by $((X +
1))-rc1, please reply to the release email asking if someone can grab
$patches as they've been around for a while.

--
Tom