* Driver directory selection for Power Supply Status chip
@ 2016-04-18 16:14 Thor Thayer
From: Thor Thayer @ 2016-04-18 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio, arnd, gregkh

Hi,

The Arria10 System Resource chip (A10SR) is a SPI based MFD implementing
a GPIO expander, reset controller, and power supply monitoring. I'm not
sure where the driver for the A10SR power monitoring driver should
reside and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I'd originally submitted the RFC to the HWMON list but the maintainer
pointed out that it wasn't a good fit because the A10SR only indicates
boolean power supply status - not the voltage level as required by HWMON.

I read that IIO acts as a bridge between IO and HWMON but I'm also not
sure this fits those drivers (although I did find some power supply
supervistors there). It isn't quite a power supply supervisor - the
A10SR is a comparator instead of an Analog-to-Digital Converter.

One additional thing, the A10SR also had a number of enable bits for
enabling devices external to Altera's SoC (but still on the development
board). These don't quite fit into the reset controller framework but
would seem to fit a MISC directory driver better.

If neither IIO or MISC is a good fit, can someone suggest a more
appropriate place?

Thank you for your help,

Thor

* Re: Driver directory selection for Power Supply Status chip
@ 2016-04-18 16:41 ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2016-04-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tthayer, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh, Guenter Roeck

On 04/18/2016 06:14 PM, Thor Thayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Arria10 System Resource chip (A10SR) is a SPI based MFD implementing a
> GPIO expander, reset controller, and power supply monitoring. I'm not sure
> where the driver for the A10SR power monitoring driver should reside and I'm
> hoping someone can offer some advice.
>
> I'd originally submitted the RFC to the HWMON list but the maintainer
> pointed out that it wasn't a good fit because the A10SR only indicates
> boolean power supply status - not the voltage level as required by HWMON.
>
> I read that IIO acts as a bridge between IO and HWMON but I'm also not sure
> this fits those drivers (although I did find some power supply supervistors
> there). It isn't quite a power supply supervisor - the A10SR is a comparator
> instead of an Analog-to-Digital Converter.
>
> One additional thing, the A10SR also had a number of enable bits for
> enabling devices external to Altera's SoC (but still on the development
> board). These don't quite fit into the reset controller framework but would
> seem to fit a MISC directory driver better.
>
> If neither IIO or MISC is a good fit, can someone suggest a more appropriate
> place?

How does the device work, does it generate an interrupt when the voltage
level goes below the threshold? I'd like to pass the ball back and say that
this sounds like something that should go into hwmon.

* Re: Driver directory selection for Power Supply Status chip
@ 2016-04-18 19:43   ` Thor Thayer
       [not found]     ` <571538D5.5020209-yzvPICuk2ABMcg4IHK0kFoH6Mc4MB0Vx@public.gmane.org>
From: Thor Thayer @ 2016-04-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh, Guenter Roeck

On 04/18/2016 11:41 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 04/18/2016 06:14 PM, Thor Thayer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Arria10 System Resource chip (A10SR) is a SPI based MFD implementing a
>> GPIO expander, reset controller, and power supply monitoring. I'm not sure
>> where the driver for the A10SR power monitoring driver should reside and I'm
>> hoping someone can offer some advice.
>>
>> I'd originally submitted the RFC to the HWMON list but the maintainer
>> pointed out that it wasn't a good fit because the A10SR only indicates
>> boolean power supply status - not the voltage level as required by HWMON.
>>
>> I read that IIO acts as a bridge between IO and HWMON but I'm also not sure
>> this fits those drivers (although I did find some power supply supervistors
>> there). It isn't quite a power supply supervisor - the A10SR is a comparator
>> instead of an Analog-to-Digital Converter.
>>
>> One additional thing, the A10SR also had a number of enable bits for
>> enabling devices external to Altera's SoC (but still on the development
>> board). These don't quite fit into the reset controller framework but would
>> seem to fit a MISC directory driver better.
>>
>> If neither IIO or MISC is a good fit, can someone suggest a more appropriate
>> place?
>
> How does the device work, does it generate an interrupt when the voltage
> level goes below the threshold? I'd like to pass the ball back and say that
> this sounds like something that should go into hwmon.

Good question but no, there is no interrupt.

The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the power
supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings, and
thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail interrupt was
not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be read from
the chip.

I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references to a
boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.

Thank you for your reply!

* Re: Driver directory selection for Power Supply Status chip
@ 2016-04-18 20:06         ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2016-04-18 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tthayer-yzvPICuk2ABMcg4IHK0kFoH6Mc4MB0Vx, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	linux-iio-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, arnd-r2nGTMty4D4,
	gregkh-hQyY1W1yCW8ekmWlsbkhG0B+6BGkLq7r, Guenter Roeck, linux-pm,
	Sebastian Reichel, Dmitry, David Woodhouse

On 18/04/16 20:43, Thor Thayer wrote:

> On 04/18/2016 11:41 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
>> On 04/18/2016 06:14 PM, Thor Thayer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Arria10 System Resource chip (A10SR) is a SPI based MFD implementing a
>>> GPIO expander, reset controller, and power supply monitoring. I'm not sure
>>> where the driver for the A10SR power monitoring driver should reside and I'm
>>> hoping someone can offer some advice.
>>>
>>> I'd originally submitted the RFC to the HWMON list but the maintainer
>>> pointed out that it wasn't a good fit because the A10SR only indicates
>>> boolean power supply status - not the voltage level as required by HWMON.
>>>
>>> I read that IIO acts as a bridge between IO and HWMON but I'm also not sure
>>> this fits those drivers (although I did find some power supply supervistors
>>> there). It isn't quite a power supply supervisor - the A10SR is a comparator
>>> instead of an Analog-to-Digital Converter.
>>>
>>> One additional thing, the A10SR also had a number of enable bits for
>>> enabling devices external to Altera's SoC (but still on the development
>>> board). These don't quite fit into the reset controller framework but would
>>> seem to fit a MISC directory driver better.
>>>
>>> If neither IIO or MISC is a good fit, can someone suggest a more appropriate
>>> place?
>>
>> How does the device work, does it generate an interrupt when the voltage
>> level goes below the threshold? I'd like to pass the ball back and say that
>> this sounds like something that should go into hwmon.
>>

> Good question but no, there is no interrupt.
>
> The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the
> power supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings, and
> thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
> programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail interrupt
> was not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be
> read from the chip.
>
> I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
> states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references to
> a boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.
That's one impressively uninformative output...  Hmm.
Not obvious where to put it - it doesn't fit in IIO really either.

Could report as a power supply?  There is 'health' support in there.
See Documentation/power/power_supply_class.txt
and include/linux/power_supply.h
though I'm not sure which type a fail on this would count as...
perhaps UNSPEC_FAILURE.

It's intended for batteries really - not sure how far you can stretch
that.

Cc'd linux-pm and maintainers.  Perhaps they will have a better idea!

From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2016-04-18 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tthayer, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh,
	Guenter Roeck, linux-pm, Sebastian Reichel, Dmitry,
	David Woodhouse

On 18/04/16 20:43, Thor Thayer wrote:

> On 04/18/2016 11:41 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
>> On 04/18/2016 06:14 PM, Thor Thayer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Arria10 System Resource chip (A10SR) is a SPI based MFD implementing a
>>> GPIO expander, reset controller, and power supply monitoring. I'm not sure
>>> where the driver for the A10SR power monitoring driver should reside and I'm
>>> hoping someone can offer some advice.
>>>
>>> I'd originally submitted the RFC to the HWMON list but the maintainer
>>> pointed out that it wasn't a good fit because the A10SR only indicates
>>> boolean power supply status - not the voltage level as required by HWMON.
>>>
>>> I read that IIO acts as a bridge between IO and HWMON but I'm also not sure
>>> this fits those drivers (although I did find some power supply supervistors
>>> there). It isn't quite a power supply supervisor - the A10SR is a comparator
>>> instead of an Analog-to-Digital Converter.
>>>
>>> One additional thing, the A10SR also had a number of enable bits for
>>> enabling devices external to Altera's SoC (but still on the development
>>> board). These don't quite fit into the reset controller framework but would
>>> seem to fit a MISC directory driver better.
>>>
>>> If neither IIO or MISC is a good fit, can someone suggest a more appropriate
>>> place?
>>
>> How does the device work, does it generate an interrupt when the voltage
>> level goes below the threshold? I'd like to pass the ball back and say that
>> this sounds like something that should go into hwmon.
>>

> Good question but no, there is no interrupt.
>
> The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the
> power supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings, and
> thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
> programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail interrupt
> was not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be
> read from the chip.
>
> I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
> states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references to
> a boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.
That's one impressively uninformative output...  Hmm.
Not obvious where to put it - it doesn't fit in IIO really either.

Could report as a power supply?  There is 'health' support in there.
See Documentation/power/power_supply_class.txt
and include/linux/power_supply.h
though I'm not sure which type a fail on this would count as...
perhaps UNSPEC_FAILURE.

It's intended for batteries really - not sure how far you can stretch
that.

Cc'd linux-pm and maintainers.  Perhaps they will have a better idea!

> Thank you for your reply!

* Re: Driver directory selection for Power Supply Status chip
  (?)
@ 2016-04-18 23:50         ` Guenter Roeck
       [not found]           ` <20160418235015.GA20720-0h96xk9xTtrk1uMJSBkQmQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2016-04-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: tthayer, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh, linux-pm,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:06:02PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 18/04/16 20:43, Thor Thayer wrote:

> >> How does the device work, does it generate an interrupt when the voltage
> >> level goes below the threshold? I'd like to pass the ball back and say that
> >> this sounds like something that should go into hwmon.
> >>

> > Good question but no, there is no interrupt.
> >
> > The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the
> > power supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings, and
> > thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
> > programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail interrupt
> > was not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be
> > read from the chip.
> >
> > I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
> > states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references to
> > a boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.
> That's one impressively uninformative output...  Hmm.

Please clarify what you mean with "impressively uninformative output".

FWIW, hwmon alarm attributes are boolean.

Thanks,
Guenter

@ 2016-04-19 16:18               ` Thor Thayer
From: Thor Thayer @ 2016-04-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck, Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	arnd-r2nGTMty4D4, gregkh-hQyY1W1yCW8ekmWlsbkhG0B+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-pm, Sebastian Reichel, Dmitry, David Woodhouse

Hi Guenter,

On 04/18/2016 06:50 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:06:02PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

>>> Good question but no, there is no interrupt.
>>>
>>> The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the
>>> power supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings, and
>>> thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
>>> programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail interrupt
>>> was not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be
>>> read from the chip.
>>>
>>> I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
>>> states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references to
>>> a boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.
>> That's one impressively uninformative output...  Hmm.
>
> Please clarify what you mean with "impressively uninformative output".
>
> FWIW, hwmon alarm attributes are boolean.
>
> Thanks,
> Guenter

Thank you for pointing out the alarms - I missed that but they would
fit. I'll investigate further.

Thanks!

From: Thor Thayer @ 2016-04-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck, Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh, linux-pm,

@ 2016-04-19 16:24           ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2016-04-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck, Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: tthayer, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio, arnd, gregkh, linux-pm,

On 19 April 2016 00:50:15 BST, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:06:02PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

>implementing a
>not sure
>reside and I'm

>maintainer
>indicates
>by HWMON.

>also not sure
>supervistors
>comparator

>for
>development
>but would

>appropriate

>voltage
>say that
>> >>

>> > Good question but no, there is no interrupt.
>> >
>> > The chip is actually a power supply sequencer for bringing up the
>> > power supplies in the correct order. Since the sequence, timings,
>and
>> > thresholds are hard coded in the chip and can't be changed
>> > programatically, I assume it was decided that a power fail
>interrupt
>> > was not needed. However, the status of the power (OK/Fail) can be
>> > read from the chip.
>> >
>> > I was directed to look at Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface which
>> > states the units are in millivolts and I didn't see any references
>> > a boolean output so I'm leaning away from hwmon.
>> That's one impressively uninformative output...  Hmm.

It's not an alarm on anything in particular but rather simply means 'something is wrong somewhere in the power supply startup'.