* link references in the merged patch
@ 2016-04-29  8:16 Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2016-04-29  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-mm

Hi Andrew,
I was suggesting this during your mm workflow session at LSF/MM so this
is just a friendly reminder. Could you add something like tip tree and
reference the original email where the patch came from? Tip uses

Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id

and this is really helpful when trying to find the discussion around the
patch. I would even welcome to add such a link for each follow up -fix*
patches and do
[ $email: $(comment for the follow up chaneg)]
Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id

So it is clear what the follow up change was.

Thanks a lot!
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

* Re: link references in the merged patch
@ 2016-04-29 21:06 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2016-04-29 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Hocko; +Cc: linux-mm

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:16:02 +0200 Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
> I was suggesting this during your mm workflow session at LSF/MM so this
> is just a friendly reminder. Could you add something like tip tree and
> reference the original email where the patch came from? Tip uses
>
> Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id
>
> and this is really helpful when trying to find the discussion around the
> patch. I would even welcome to add such a link for each follow up -fix*
> patches and do
> [ $email: $(comment for the follow up chaneg)]
> Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id
>
> So it is clear what the follow up change was.

Yeah, that's in my todo list (along with "do expense reports", sigh).
But who ever reads those things?

<fiddle fiddle>

OK, let's see how this goes.

* Re: link references in the merged patch
@ 2016-05-02  7:48   ` Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2016-05-02  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-mm

On Fri 29-04-16 14:06:28, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:16:02 +0200 Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> > I was suggesting this during your mm workflow session at LSF/MM so this
> > is just a friendly reminder. Could you add something like tip tree and
> > reference the original email where the patch came from? Tip uses
> >
> > Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id
> >
> > and this is really helpful when trying to find the discussion around the
> > patch. I would even welcome to add such a link for each follow up -fix*
> > patches and do
> > [ $email: $(comment for the follow up chaneg)]
> > Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/$msg_id
> >
> > So it is clear what the follow up change was.
> >

> Yeah, that's in my todo list (along with "do expense reports", sigh).
> But who ever reads those things?

I do quite often when I try to understand some subtle details which are
not clear from the changelog (that is not an exception) and the
discussion in the email thread sometimes helps. Plus it is good to see
where the fixups came from.

> <fiddle fiddle>
>
> OK, let's see how this goes.

Thanks!