* does the linux NFS client support for failover to a replica share (read-only share)
@ 2016-06-07 20:02 sebastien cabaniols
From: sebastien cabaniols @ 2016-06-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hello linux-nfs mailing list.

I would like to know if the linux nfs client included in current
versions of the kernel supports fail-over to a replica on another nfs
server, I am using (manually) synchronized read-only shares...

I found very few information on Google about this topic and I suspect
this is not implemented.

I actually tried to setup this using SLES12SP1 (3.12.49 kernel) but I
failed so far. I am not attached to this distribution/version in
particular, just trying to see it working for real.

( I did some "rpcdebug -m nfs" session and it seems the fs_locations
is not getting properly populated on my setup )

Any confirmation this should work or not would actually help me.

THX.

note from the exports man page:

       replicas=path@host[+host][:path@host[+host]]
              If  the  client  asks for alternative locations for the
export point, it will be given this list of alternatives.
              (Note that actual replication of the filesystem must be
handled elsewhere.)

* Re: does the linux NFS client support for failover to a replica share (read-only share)
@ 2016-06-13 15:52 ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2016-06-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastien cabaniols; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 10:02:19PM +0200, sebastien cabaniols wrote:
> Hello linux-nfs mailing list.
>
> I would like to know if the linux nfs client included in current
> versions of the kernel supports fail-over to a replica on another nfs
> server, I am using (manually) synchronized read-only shares...
>
> I found very few information on Google about this topic and I suspect
> this is not implemented.

That's correct (unless I've missed something!).

> I actually tried to setup this using SLES12SP1 (3.12.49 kernel) but I
> failed so far. I am not attached to this distribution/version in
> particular, just trying to see it working for real.
>
> ( I did some "rpcdebug -m nfs" session and it seems the fs_locations
> is not getting properly populated on my setup )
>
> Any confirmation this should work or not would actually help me.
>
> THX.
>

> note from the exports man page:
>
>        replicas=path@host[+host][:path@host[+host]]
>               If  the  client  asks for alternative locations for the
> export point, it will be given this list of alternatives.
>               (Note that actual replication of the filesystem must be
> handled elsewhere.)

Yes, the server side (assuming you've got the backend replication
working) is pretty easy, and should work (though I don't know if it's
gotten any testing).  The client has the harder job here.

--b.

* Re: does the linux NFS client support for failover to a replica share (read-only share)
@ 2016-06-14  0:10   ` Malahal Naineni
From: Malahal Naineni @ 2016-06-14  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: sebastien cabaniols, linux-nfs

J. Bruce Fields [bfields@fieldses.org] wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 10:02:19PM +0200, sebastien cabaniols wrote:
> > Hello linux-nfs mailing list.
> >
> > I would like to know if the linux nfs client included in current
> > versions of the kernel supports fail-over to a replica on another nfs
> > server, I am using (manually) synchronized read-only shares...
> >
> > I found very few information on Google about this topic and I suspect
> > this is not implemented.
>
> That's correct (unless I've missed something!).
>
> > I actually tried to setup this using SLES12SP1 (3.12.49 kernel) but I
> > failed so far. I am not attached to this distribution/version in
> > particular, just trying to see it working for real.
> >
> > ( I did some "rpcdebug -m nfs" session and it seems the fs_locations
> > is not getting properly populated on my setup )
> >
> > Any confirmation this should work or not would actually help me.
> >
> > THX.
> >

> > note from the exports man page:
> >
> >        replicas=path@host[+host][:path@host[+host]]
> >               If  the  client  asks for alternative locations for the
> > export point, it will be given this list of alternatives.
> >               (Note that actual replication of the filesystem must be
> > handled elsewhere.)
>
> Yes, the server side (assuming you've got the backend replication
> working) is pretty easy, and should work (though I don't know if it's
> gotten any testing).

Bruce, we did test the server side couple years ago. I don't remember
any issues on the server side. We did some rudimentary support on the
client side (we were using rsync for replication and our exports were
read-only!). I remember "find" having an issue with inode number change
while it was running, but don't remember any other issues. The client
patches never made it to mainline though.

Regards, Malahal.

* Re: does the linux NFS client support for failover to a replica share (read-only share)
@ 2016-06-14 14:57     ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2016-06-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastien cabaniols, linux-nfs

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:10:56PM -0500, Malahal Naineni wrote:
> J. Bruce Fields [bfields@fieldses.org] wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 10:02:19PM +0200, sebastien cabaniols wrote:
> > > Hello linux-nfs mailing list.
> > >
> > > I would like to know if the linux nfs client included in current
> > > versions of the kernel supports fail-over to a replica on another nfs
> > > server, I am using (manually) synchronized read-only shares...
> > >
> > > I found very few information on Google about this topic and I suspect
> > > this is not implemented.
> >
> > That's correct (unless I've missed something!).
> >
> > > I actually tried to setup this using SLES12SP1 (3.12.49 kernel) but I
> > > failed so far. I am not attached to this distribution/version in
> > > particular, just trying to see it working for real.
> > >
> > > ( I did some "rpcdebug -m nfs" session and it seems the fs_locations
> > > is not getting properly populated on my setup )
> > >
> > > Any confirmation this should work or not would actually help me.
> > >
> > > THX.
> > >

> > > note from the exports man page:
> > >
> > >        replicas=path@host[+host][:path@host[+host]]
> > >               If  the  client  asks for alternative locations for the
> > > export point, it will be given this list of alternatives.
> > >               (Note that actual replication of the filesystem must be
> > > handled elsewhere.)
> >
> > Yes, the server side (assuming you've got the backend replication
> > working) is pretty easy, and should work (though I don't know if it's
> > gotten any testing).
>
> Bruce, we did test the server side couple years ago. I don't remember
> any issues on the server side. We did some rudimentary support on the
> client side (we were using rsync for replication and our exports were
> read-only!). I remember "find" having an issue with inode number change
> while it was running, but don't remember any other issues. The client
> patches never made it to mainline though.

Oh, thanks for the reminder.

I wonder if the client's closer to ready for failover support now.  I
don't remember what the issues were.

--b.

* Re: does the linux NFS client support for failover to a replica share (read-only share)
@ 2016-06-14 16:56       ` sebastien cabaniols
From: sebastien cabaniols @ 2016-06-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: linux-nfs

If the patch/git commit is somewhere, I can give it a go... for
failing over to a different server without shared storage I replicate
using dd so that the same inodes get served. I am really interested to
see the client failover to another IP address alone.

--
et où qu'y va en vacances Nicolas Hulot ?