* [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-10  6:33 Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-10  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi

I need help with porting Xenomai on Sabre Lite Board with iMx6 Quad. Can you specify the resources and process to be done.

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-10  7:16 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 06:33:32AM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> Hi
>

> I need help with porting Xenomai on Sabre Lite Board with iMx6
> Quad. Can you specify the resources and process to be done.

There is nothing board-specific in Xenomai, only SOC specific
support. And since Xenomai has already been ported to imx6, you do
not need to port anything, you just need to install Xenomai. We
provide installation instructions here (not imx6-specific, but the
installation instructions are the same for any SOC).

For 3.x:
https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/

For 2.x:
https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-2-x/
(pay attention to the Caution at the beginning; in a nut shell, if
you are starting a new development, there is no reason to start with
2.x).

--
					    Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-10  7:32   ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-10  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, xenomai

Should i do this process in a Linux Environment under the target board. Basically i am a newbie and its kindof looking complex. It would really help if the process to be done can be explained.

Let me explain what i am trying to do.
I am deploying debian on Freescale with imX6 SOC
Then im looking for packages in debian (if they are precompiled) or else i will follow the proces you mentioned from knowledge base. Can you suggest which would be better.

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

@ 2016-06-10  7:45     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-10  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 07:32:30AM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> Should i do this process in a Linux Environment under the target
> board. Basically i am a newbie and its kindof looking complex. It
> would really help if the process to be done can be explained.

The process is explained on the page I sent you. Whether you
cross-compile or not is your choice, the procedure is almost the
same in both cases.

> Let me explain what i am trying to do. I am deploying debian on
> Freescale with imX6 SOC Then im looking for packages in debian (if
> they are precompiled) or else i will follow the proces you
> mentioned from knowledge base. Can you suggest which would be
> better.

Your choice again. We have a page explaining how to build Debian
packages.
https://xenomai.org/2014/06/building-debian-packages/

My opinion on that is that building debian packages is more complex
than simply compiling and installing following the generic
instructions, so there are many more things that can go wrong. So, I
would only do it if I need the benefits of using debian packages:
being able to build the packages once, and deploy them on several
machines. But this is simply my opinion.

--
					    Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-10  7:51       ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-10  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Thanks

I am going ahead with following the instructions from the given page.
https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/

I will do the following (Correct me if i am wrong)
1) Install Debian on Sabre Lite Board
2) Download Xenomai Kernel (in the target board running Debian)
3) Follow the process given in the link https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/

Am i headed in a right way??

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

@ 2016-06-13  8:36         ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-13  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

While installing the package in Jessie debian resulted no package found.

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti
Assistant Professor
Department of ECE
(DST- FIST Sponsored Department)
KL University
________________________________

@ 2016-06-13  8:42           ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-13  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:36:39AM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> While installing the package in Jessie debian resulted no package found.
>
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc

So, you are trying to cross compile?
See:
https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/#Cross-compilation

--
					    Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-13  8:52             ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-13  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Yes

I tried running directly from BBB. but got an error stating timer files not found. Now im trying an alternate way doing from my PC and cross compiling.

Process i tried on BBB which resulted errors

  1.  ./prepare-kernel.sh --linux=/home/debian/linux-4.1.18 --arch=arm –ipipe=/home/debian/xenomai-3.0.2/kernel/cobalt/arch/arm/patches/ipipe-core-4.1.18-arm-4.patch

  2.  make bzImage module -------- > under linux kernel tree

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti
________________________________

@ 2016-06-13  8:57               ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-13  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:52:11AM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> Yes
>
> I tried running directly from BBB. but got an error stating timer
> files not found. Now im trying an alternate way doing from my PC
> and cross compiling.

Do not waste your time doing that. Please report the problem you get
when compiling directly on the board, but clearly, more than just
"got an error stating timer files not found", at which point, during
compilation, at run-time? etc... Send the full compilation logs if
this is an error at compilation time, or the full kernel logs if
this is a run-time error.

Changing where the compiler run will probably not change anything.

--
					    Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-14  4:23                 ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-14  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

I am done with building a new kernel from BBB. but it took me more than 4 hours to complete the kernel compilation.

Now i have zImage and Image available in arch/arm/boot/ .... unable to install the kernel

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

________________________________

@ 2016-06-14  8:59                   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 04:23:26AM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> I am done with building a new kernel from BBB. but it took me more
> than 4 hours to complete the kernel compilation.

Yes, that is the downside of compiling on target. Did you expect a
processor with such a low consumption to have the power of your PC?

> Now i have zImage and Image available in arch/arm/boot/ ....
> unable to install the kernel

I have the same remark as before. You tell us something is wrong,
but you do not give us any information. We need to see the exact
error you get in order to be able to help you.

Anyway, what is needed to install the kernel depends on the
distribution you use, the bootloader you use etc... but the good
news is that installing the kernel with Xenomai included is not
different from installing a custom-built Linux kernel, so the
information you find on your board website apply.

--
					    Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Resources for Installation of Xenomai 2.6 and 3 on iMx6 Sabre Lite Dev Board
@ 2016-06-15 12:54                     ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-06-15 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

I tried to install the following way

Added this repo

add this repo
deb [arch=armhf] http://repos.rcn-ee.com/debian/ jessie main

sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-xenomai-r78 linux-headers-3.8.13-xenomai-r78 linux-firmware-image-3.8.13-xenomai-r78

wget https://xenomai.org/downloads/xenomai/stable/xenomai-
2.6.4.tar.bz<http://2.6.4.tar.bz/>2
tar xvjf xenomai-2.6.4.tar.bz<http://xenomai-2.6.4.tar.bz/>2
cd xenomai-2.6.4
./configure
make
sudo make install

after that i tried to run apps from /usr/xenomai/bin  i got this

Xenomai: native skin or CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE disabled.
(modprobe xeno_native?)

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

________________________________

@ 2016-06-15 13:50                       ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2016-06-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:54:35PM +0000, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> I tried to install the following way
>

> Added this repo
>
> add this repo
> deb [arch=armhf] http://repos.rcn-ee.com/debian/ jessie main
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-xenomai-r78 linux-headers-3.8.13-xenomai-r78 linux-firmware-image-3.8.13-xenomai-r78
>
> wget https://xenomai.org/downloads/xenomai/stable/xenomai-
> 2.6.4.tar.bz<http://2.6.4.tar.bz/>2
> tar xvjf xenomai-2.6.4.tar.bz<http://xenomai-2.6.4.tar.bz/>2
> cd xenomai-2.6.4
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>

> after that i tried to run apps from /usr/xenomai/bin  i got this
>

> Xenomai: native skin or CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE disabled.
> (modprobe xeno_native?)

So, you changed the procedure again? Can you not finish just once
what you started? I am sorry, but I do not know that debian
repository and what it contains exactly, maybe it has a website with
some information?

Other than that, that error is documented in the troubleshooting
guide:
https://xenomai.org/troubleshooting-a-dual-kernel-configuration/#native_skin_or_CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PERVASIVE_disabled

--
					    Gilles.