* How does ALSALIB commuciates with low level kernel API
@ 2016-06-14 23:12 Chemsi Mehdi
From: Chemsi Mehdi @ 2016-06-14 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Dear experts,

I am too new in ALSA, trying to read a little bit and understand.
I want to underatnd how ALSA userspace API calls kernel space code ?
for example when I call  snd_pcm_open() which code is called in kernel
sound code ?
and how the link is made ? via IOCTL/write ?

Please clarify

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mehdi

* Re: How does ALSALIB commuciates with low level kernel API
@ 2016-06-15  7:00 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2016-06-15  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chemsi Mehdi, alsa-devel

Chemsi Mehdi wrote:
> I want to underatnd how ALSA userspace API calls kernel space code ?
> for example when I call  snd_pcm_open() which code is called in kernel
> sound code ?

The generic PCM code in alsa-lib/src/pcm/pcm.c calls some plugin.
The "hw" plugin (in pcm_hw.c) handles communication with the kernel.

The kernel code is in sound/core/.

> and how the link is made ? via IOCTL/write ?

Yes.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: How does ALSALIB commuciates with low level kernel API
@ 2016-06-20 17:43 ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2016-06-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chemsi Mehdi; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:12:24AM +0100, Chemsi Mehdi wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> I am too new in ALSA, trying to read a little bit and understand.
> I want to underatnd how ALSA userspace API calls kernel space code ?
> for example when I call  snd_pcm_open() which code is called in kernel
> sound code ?

easist would be to start gdb on alsa-lib snd_pcm_open() and start tracing
the steps.

> and how the link is made ? via IOCTL/write ?

IOCTL, see sound/core/pcm_native.c on kernel side..

--
~Vinod