* uninative support on non-x86 platforms
@ 2016-06-22 16:43 Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2016-06-22 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Maillist; +Cc: Bradley Bishop

The current poky fails when building on a non-x86 platform with a
message like:

    uninative selected but not configured, please set UNINATIVE_CHKSUM[ppc64le]

We have a number of developers that use ppc64le systems to do work on,
so we would like to help get this support in place.  Are there any
pointers to the work needed to get this going?

In the meantime, is there an intermediate commit that could be made to
disable uninative on all unsupported platforms?  It seems like instead
of:
   INHERIT += "uninative"
we could have:
   INHERIT[i686,x86_64] += "uninative"

This will allow those building on ARM and Power systems to continue to
function without manually disabling uninative themselves.

--
Patrick Williams

* Re: uninative support on non-x86 platforms
@ 2016-06-22 20:00 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-06-22 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: Yocto Maillist, Bradley Bishop

On 22 June 2016 at 17:43, Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:

> The current poky fails when building on a non-x86 platform with a
> message like:
>
>     uninative selected but not configured, please set
> UNINATIVE_CHKSUM[ppc64le]
>
> We have a number of developers that use ppc64le systems to do work on,
> so we would like to help get this support in place.  Are there any
> pointers to the work needed to get this going?

INHERIT_remove = "uninative" in local.conf should do the trick.

Or, don't use poky for your work. :)

Ross

* Re: uninative support on non-x86 platforms
@ 2016-06-22 20:02   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-06-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: Yocto Maillist, Bradley Bishop

On 22 June 2016 at 21:00, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2016 at 17:43, Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>
>> The current poky fails when building on a non-x86 platform with a
>> message like:
>>
>>     uninative selected but not configured, please set
>> UNINATIVE_CHKSUM[ppc64le]
>>
>> We have a number of developers that use ppc64le systems to do work on,
>> so we would like to help get this support in place.  Are there any
>> pointers to the work needed to get this going?
>>

> INHERIT_remove = "uninative" in local.conf should do the trick.
>
> Or, don't use poky for your work. :)

Or, finish writing the reply before sending.

The best solution here would be to build your own uninative tarball for
ppc64le and verify it works, then we could add that to the yocto downloads
so it works out of the box.

Ross

* Re: uninative support on non-x86 platforms
@ 2016-06-23 16:18     ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2016-06-23 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto Maillist, Bradley Bishop

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 09:02:46PM +0100, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 22 June 2016 at 21:00, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>
> The best solution here would be to build your own uninative tarball for
> ppc64le and verify it works, then we could add that to the yocto downloads
> so it works out of the box.
>
> Ross
Ross,

Thanks. We will give it a try.  I suspected there might be more to it than that
based on this line:

UNINATIVE_LOADER ?= "${STAGING_DIR}-uninative/${BUILD_ARCH}-linux/lib/${@bb.utils.contains('BUILD_ARCH', 'x86_64', 'ld-linux-x86-64.so.2', 'ld-linux.so.2', d)}"

Which tag should we use to build this for publication?

I was discussing with two of my colleagues and they mentioned that there
is a free-for-opensource path to get a ppc64le virtual machine:
    http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev/request_hosting
Would it be useful for us to set this up to build the uninative
tarballs?  I don't know what the process is for updating them for the
x86 builds.

It seems that the current autobuild runs on an x86 machine as well.
Would there be any interest in a ppc64le slave?
--

@ 2016-06-27 14:29       ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-06-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: Yocto Maillist, Bradley Bishop