From: Johannes Weiner <hannes@cmpxchg.org>
To: Dave Hansen <dave@sr71.net>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>,
	"Kleen, Andi" <andi.kleen@intel.com>,
	ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Memory thrashing, was Re: Self nomination
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 14:19:24 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 01:08:46PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> > > We really wouldn't want this.  All cloud jobs seem to have memory they
> > > allocate but rarely use, so we want the properties of the LRU list to
> > > get this on swap so we can re-use the memory pages for something else.
> > >  A random replacement algorithm would play havoc with that.
> >
> > I don't want to put words in Andi's mouth, but what we want isn't
> > necessarily something that is random, but it's something that uses less
> > CPU to swap out a given page.
>
> Random eviction doesn't mean random outcome of what stabilizes in
> memory and swap. The idea is to apply pressure on all pages equally
> but in no particular order, and then the in-memory set forms based on
> reference frequencies and refaults/swapins.

Anyway, this is getting a little off-topic.

I only brought up CPU cost to make the point that, while sustained
swap-in rate might be a good signal to unload a machine or reschedule
a job elsewhere, it might not be a generic answer to the question of
how much a system's overall progress is actually impeded due to
somebody swapping; or whether the system is actually in a livelock
state that requires intervention by the OOM killer.