* TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
@ 2016-06-06 18:57 Matthew Garrett
       [not found] ` <20160606185712.GA10754-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2016-06-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	trousers-users-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi,

I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
for how PCRs should be used under Linux.

If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
discussion session, drop me an email with a description.

Thanks!
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

* Re: TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
       [not found] ` <20160606185712.GA10754-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-06 20:10   ` Peter Huewe
       [not found]     ` <A49510D3-5D4E-44CC-A97D-CAC2D6A3B5C5-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Huewe @ 2016-06-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett,
	linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

Am 6. Juni 2016 11:57:13 GMT-07:00, schrieb Matthew Garrett <mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
>Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
>bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little
>overall
>coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we
>have
>no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
>the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a
>spec
>for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
>
>If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
>http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
>topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
>discussion session, drop me an email with a description.
>
>Thanks!

Thanks for the proposal and pursuing this effort.
Not sure whether I can join, sine I should be back in Germany by that time.
Is a valid plumbers registration necessary?
Peter

--
Sent from my mobile

@ 2016-06-06 20:11       ` Matthew Garrett
       [not found]         ` <20160606201147.GA12808-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2016-06-06 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Huewe
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 01:10:22PM -0700, Peter Huewe wrote:

> Thanks for the proposal and pursuing this effort.
> Not sure whether I can join, sine I should be back in Germany by that time.
> Is a valid plumbers registration necessary?

Yes, you'd need to be registered - there's usually some number available
for people leading discussion topics at microconferences, but I don't
know for sure that that'd be possible.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

* Re: [Linux-ima-devel] TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
       [not found] ` <20160606185712.GA10754-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-07  0:35   ` Mimi Zohar
       [not found]     ` <1465259755.9683.53.camel-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2016-06-07  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 19:57 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
> Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
> bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
> coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
> no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
> the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
> for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
>
> If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
> topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> discussion session, drop me an email with a description.
>
> Thanks!

Did you consider submitting this as an Linux Security Summit (LSS)
discussion topic?

Mimi

@ 2016-06-07  0:38       ` Matthew Garrett
       [not found]         ` <20160607003839.GA20740-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2016-06-07  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:35:55PM -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:

> Did you consider submitting this as an Linux Security Summit (LSS)
> discussion topic?

Yes, I've submitted something for that, but it would probably also be
helpful to have discussion in a space with more general distribution
developers.

--

@ 2016-06-07  1:18           ` Mimi Zohar
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2016-06-07  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 01:38 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:35:55PM -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:
>
> > Did you consider submitting this as an Linux Security Summit (LSS)
> > discussion topic?
>
> Yes, I've submitted something for that, but it would probably also be
> helpful to have discussion in a space with more general distribution
> developers.

There are two types of LSS talks - refereed or a discussion topic.  I'm
suggesting submitting the latter.   I'm not sure what you mean by more
general distribution developers.  Most of the distros have someone
attending LSS.

Mimi

* Re: [Linux-ima-devel] TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
@ 2016-06-07  1:20             ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2016-06-07  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar; +Cc: linux-ima-devel, tpmdd-devel, trousers-users

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 09:18:55PM -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 01:38 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:35:55PM -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> >
> > > Did you consider submitting this as an Linux Security Summit (LSS)
> > > discussion topic?
> >
> > Yes, I've submitted something for that, but it would probably also be
> > helpful to have discussion in a space with more general distribution
> > developers.
>
> There are two types of LSS talks - refereed or a discussion topic.  I'm
> suggesting submitting the latter.   I'm not sure what you mean by more
> general distribution developers.  Most of the distros have someone
> attending LSS.

People involved in bootloader work, desktop integration and so on.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

@ 2016-06-07 13:19   ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]     ` <20160607131954.GB3855-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-06-07 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 07:57:13PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
> Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
> bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
> coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
> no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
> the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
> for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
>
> If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
> topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> discussion session, drop me an email with a description.

I'd be interested to join. If I get budget for this from my employer,
I'll be definitely here.

> Thanks!
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

/Jarkko

@ 2016-08-09  7:10       ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]         ` <20160809071030.GA5955-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-08-09  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 04:19:54PM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 07:57:13PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
> > Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
> > bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
> > coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
> > no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
> > the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
> > for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
> >
> > If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> > http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
> > topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> > discussion session, drop me an email with a description.
>
> I'd be interested to join. If I get budget for this from my employer,
> I'll be definitely here.

I can now confirm to be present here.

/Jarkko

@ 2016-08-12  9:14           ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]             ` <20160812091434.GA23740-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-08-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 10:10:30AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 04:19:54PM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 07:57:13PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
> > > Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
> > > bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
> > > coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
> > > no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
> > > the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
> > > for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
> > >
> > > If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> > > http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
> > > topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> > > discussion session, drop me an email with a description.
> >
> > I'd be interested to join. If I get budget for this from my employer,
> > I'll be definitely here.
>
> I can now confirm to be present here.

PS. One related topic worth of discussing would be event log handover
from boot loader to the OS. We need to find some defacto approach for
it shared by different boot loaders as TCG hasn't standardized anything
similar to TCPA for TPM2.

/Jarkko

@ 2016-08-12 12:25               ` Mimi Zohar
       [not found]                 ` <1471004721.4156.32.camel-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2016-08-12 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	trousers-users-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi Jarkko,

On Fri, 2016-08-12 at 12:14 +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 10:10:30AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:

> PS. One related topic worth of discussing would be event log handover
> from boot loader to the OS. We need to find some defacto approach for
> it shared by different boot loaders as TCG hasn't standardized anything
> similar to TCPA for TPM2.

Is there a reference for "TCPA"?

Thanks!

Mimi

* Re: [Linux-ima-devel] [tpmdd-devel] TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
@ 2016-08-12 20:37                 ` James Bottomley
       [not found]                   ` <1471034226.2407.74.camel-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]                 ` <1471004721.4156.32.camel-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: James Bottomley @ 2016-08-12 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar, Jarkko Sakkinen
  Cc: linux-ima-devel, tpmdd-devel, philip.b.tricca, trousers-users

On Fri, 2016-08-12 at 08:25 -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> Hi Jarkko,
>
> On Fri, 2016-08-12 at 12:14 +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 10:10:30AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
>
> > PS. One related topic worth of discussing would be event log
> > handover from boot loader to the OS. We need to find some defacto
> > approach for it shared by different boot loaders as TCG hasn't
> > standardized anything similar to TCPA for TPM2.
>
> Is there a reference for "TCPA"?

TCPA just means Trusted Computing Platform Alliance.  I'm not sure if
this is what you're looking for but it's the TCPA architecture spec:

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/tcpa-main-specification-version-1-1b/

James

@ 2016-08-15 21:03                   ` Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-08-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

Refer to http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/tcg-acpi-specification/

> Mimi

/Jarkko

* Re: [TrouSerS-users] [Linux-ima-devel] TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
       [not found]                   ` <1471034226.2407.74.camel-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-08-15 21:20                     ` Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-08-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 01:37:06PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-08-12 at 08:25 -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> > Hi Jarkko,
> >
> > On Fri, 2016-08-12 at 12:14 +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > > On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 10:10:30AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> >
> > > PS. One related topic worth of discussing would be event log
> > > handover from boot loader to the OS. We need to find some defacto
> > > approach for it shared by different boot loaders as TCG hasn't
> > > standardized anything similar to TCPA for TPM2.
> >
> > Is there a reference for "TCPA"?
>
> TCPA just means Trusted Computing Platform Alliance.  I'm not sure if
> this is what you're looking for but it's the TCPA architecture spec:
>
> http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/tcpa-main-specification-version-1-1b/

I stated things bit incorrectly in my original response.

The ACPI table called TCPA is a kind of counter part for TPM2 ACPI table
with TPM 1.x chips. The key problem with TPM2 table is that it does not
have a memory reference for the event log.

The problem to discuss is how could boot loaders handover such data to the
OS.

> James

/Jarkko

* Re: TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
       [not found] ` <20160606185712.GA10754-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-08-31 17:40   ` Nayna
From: Nayna @ 2016-08-31 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett,
  Cc: David Heller, George Wilson

On 06/07/2016 12:27 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux Plubmers
> Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we have a
> bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little overall
> coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we have
> no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on what
> the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a spec
> for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
>
> If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any additional
> topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> discussion session, drop me an email with a description.

One topic I would like to suggest for the discussion is "Standardization
of Device Tree Bindings for TPM".

Currently, TCG Specs also do not have information on Device Tree based
mechanisms either for TPM 1.2 or TPM 2.0.

> Thanks!

Thanks & Regards,
   - Nayna

* Re: [tpmdd-devel] TPM microconf at Linux Plumbers Conference?
@ 2016-08-31 18:05     ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2016-08-31 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nayna, Matthew Garrett, linux-ima-devel, trousers-users, tpmdd-devel
  Cc: David Heller, George Wilson

On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 23:10 +0530, Nayna wrote:
> On 06/07/2016 12:27 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking into running a TPM microconference at the Linux
> > Plubmers
> > Conference in Santa Fe the first week of November. Right now we
> > have a
> > bunch of individual pieces of TPM-related technology, but little
> > overall
> > coherence - almost nobody ships working TPM-enabled bootloaders, we
> > have
> > no known-good PCR values available, distributions are unclear on
> > what
> > the appropriate TPM 2.0 userlands to ship are, we don't even have a
> > spec
> > for how PCRs should be used under Linux.
> >
> > If this seems like it'd be useful, please add your name to
> > http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016:tpms along with any
> > additional
> > topics you'd like to discuss - and if you'd like to lead a short
> > discussion session, drop me an email with a description.
>
> One topic I would like to suggest for the discussion is
> "Standardization of Device Tree Bindings for TPM".

This has been accepted by Plumbers now, so the way you submit topics
for discussion is via the website:

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/events/LPC2016/proposals

James

@ 2016-09-09 16:44           ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]             ` <20160909164456.GA31343-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 09:11:48PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 01:10:22PM -0700, Peter Huewe wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the proposal and pursuing this effort.
> > Not sure whether I can join, sine I should be back in Germany by that time.
> > Is a valid plumbers registration necessary?
>
> Yes, you'd need to be registered - there's usually some number available
> for people leading discussion topics at microconferences, but I don't
> know for sure that that'd be possible.

FWIW, I will be attending plumbers as well, if there is no
conflict with the RDMA track I will try to attend the TPM sessions.

Regards,
Jason

@ 2016-09-09 16:48               ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2016-09-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, Matthew Garrett
  Cc: linux-ima-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 10:44 -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 09:11:48PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 01:10:22PM -0700, Peter Huewe wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the proposal and pursuing this effort.
> > > Not sure whether I can join, sine I should be back in Germany by
> > > that time. Is a valid plumbers registration necessary?
> >
> > Yes, you'd need to be registered - there's usually some number
> > available for people leading discussion topics at microconferences,
> > but I don't know for sure that that'd be possible.
>
> FWIW, I will be attending plumbers as well, if there is no
> conflict with the RDMA track I will try to attend the TPM sessions.

RDMA is a KS workshop, so it will be on Tuesday.  The Plumbers schedule
isn't out yet, but the plan is for Tuesday to be KS only, so the TPM MC
should be on Wed-Fri.

James