* [Buildroot] Unable to choose libgtk3 when using rpi-userland package
@ 2016-08-19 11:43 Michael Toldo
From: Michael Toldo @ 2016-08-19 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Unable to choose libgtk3 when using rpi-userland package
@ 2016-08-19 17:34 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-08-19 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:43 AM, Michael Toldo <Michael_Toldo@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to set up buildroot for my Raspberry Pi so I can use it as a lightweight kiosk device. For this I want to install Midori which is based on the libgtk3.
> When using rpi-userland (OpenGL is included there) I cannot select the libgtk3 package. Following info is displayed: *** libgtk3 needs an OpenGL or OpenGL EGL backend provided by mesa3d ***

Look into the build its most probably not able to deduce that userland supports it because the little tests it does for deciding that are failing.

@ 2016-08-19 19:35   ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-08-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2016-08-19 14:34, Khem Raj wrote:

>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:43 AM, Michael Toldo <Michael_Toldo@gmx.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>> I'm trying to set up buildroot for my Raspberry Pi so I can use it
>> as a lightweight kiosk device. For this I want to install Midori
>> which is based on the libgtk3. When using rpi-userland (OpenGL is
>> included there) I cannot select the libgtk3 package. Following info
>> is displayed: *** libgtk3 needs an OpenGL or OpenGL EGL backend
>> provided by mesa3d ***
>
> Look into the build its most probably not able to deduce that userland
> supports it because the little tests it does for deciding that are
> failing.

Hi.
The problem at the bottom is that rpi-userland doesn't provide
wayland-egl which is required glue for wayland/weston support.
Right now the only declared provider of wayland-egl in buildroot is
mesa, which means he'd have to use vc4-drm instead of the broadcom
blobs.
Yann is working on making this a virtual since other EGL providers will
show up.
Currently we lack a vc4-drm sample defconfig, i have a WIP but it isn't
quite functional yet.
Regards.

* [Buildroot] Unable to choose libgtk3 when using rpi-userland package
@ 2016-08-19 20:08 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-08-19 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:43:42 +0200, Michael Toldo wrote:

> I'm trying to set up buildroot for my Raspberry Pi so I can use it as
> a lightweight kiosk device. For this I want to install Midori which
> is based on the libgtk3. When using rpi-userland (OpenGL is included
> there) I cannot select the libgtk3 package. Following info is
> displayed: *** libgtk3 needs an OpenGL or OpenGL EGL backend provided
> by mesa3d ***

There has been some discussion on the IRC channel today about this
question. libgtk3 requires either an OpenGL implementation, or an EGL
implementation that provides egl-wayland.

rpi-userland provides neither OpenGL, nor an egl-wayland
implementation, which explains why you cannot select rpi-userland.

Of course, this is our current understanding of what rpi-userland
provides, and what libgtk3 requires. If you believe this is wrong and
you're able to make things work differently, let us know.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Unable to choose libgtk3 when using rpi-userland package
@ 2016-08-19 20:45     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-08-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Gustavo Zacarias <gustavo@zacarias.com.ar> wrote:
>
> On 2016-08-19 14:34, Khem Raj wrote:
>
>>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:43 AM, Michael Toldo <Michael_Toldo@gmx.net>
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>> I'm trying to set up buildroot for my Raspberry Pi so I can use it
>>> as a lightweight kiosk device. For this I want to install Midori
>>> which is based on the libgtk3. When using rpi-userland (OpenGL is
>>> included there) I cannot select the libgtk3 package. Following info
>>> is displayed: *** libgtk3 needs an OpenGL or OpenGL EGL backend
>>> provided by mesa3d ***
>> Look into the build its most probably not able to deduce that userland
>> supports it because the little tests it does for deciding that are
>> failing.
>
> Hi.
> The problem at the bottom is that rpi-userland doesn't provide wayland-egl which is required glue for wayland/weston support.
> Right now the only declared provider of wayland-egl in buildroot is mesa, which means he'd have to use vc4-drm instead of the broadcom blobs.
> Yann is working on making this a virtual since other EGL providers will show up.
> Currently we lack a vc4-drm sample defconfig, i have a WIP but it isn't quite functional yet.
> Regards.

here is collection of patches for wayland support with userland

https://github.com/kraj/userland/commits/kraj/master

We use it with meta-raspberrypi in OE and it works well.