* nilfs_cleanerd not running
@ 2016-08-30 20:01 mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w
       [not found] ` <2a90bda59a98d4f35e8dbab5534c014e-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w @ 2016-08-30 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

It seems my NILFS is not garbage collected. The other day I was not able
to boot up my NixOS due to a full disk. I booted on a USB stick and ran
nilfs-clean which freed about 20 Gbytes. I suppose there should always
be a process nilfs_cleanerd running on a system in order to clean up old
check points. I have actually not read on the NILFS web site that
nilfs_cleanerd should be running normally, but maybe I have missed this.
Should it not be running normally?

When I am running nilfs-clean on my device, I get:

'No cleaner found on /dev/dm-0.'

mount | grep nilfs gives:

/dev/mapper/cryptroot on / type nilfs2 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mapper/cryptroot on /nix/store type nilfs2 (ro,relatime)

nilfs-clean -V gives:

nilfs-clean version 2.2.3

I am only able to run nilfs_cleanerd after setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
/nix/store/*-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/lib

nilfs_cleanerd /dev/mapper/cryptroot
NILFS_CLEANERD_PID=24468

It seems however like the process terminates since there does not seem
to exist any process when running 'ps aux | grep nilfs'

When trying 'sudo mount -t nilfs2 -o remount,pp=1 /dev/mapper/cryptroot
/', I get:

/nix/store/y0ldq0j9qpax23d6g5iww7nz17xgx32q-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/sbin/nilfs_cleanerd:
error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
mount.nilfs2: Warning: cannot get pid of cleanerd
mount.nilfs2: cannot modify /etc/mtab.
Please remount the partition with -f option after making /etc/mtab
writable.

I am running NixOS 16.03

'uname -r' gives:
4.4.14

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Mikael Andersson

* Re: nilfs_cleanerd not running
       [not found] ` <2a90bda59a98d4f35e8dbab5534c014e-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-08-30 22:28   ` mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w
       [not found]     ` <ef82ce0808205f8ecda06baa9a3f9232-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w @ 2016-08-30 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi again,

I am now able to run nilfs_cleanerd after running it as root... :) When
I am running it with sudo I get below, although I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
first:

nilfs_cleanerd: error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0:

Maybe sudo starts a new shell and loses the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?

I think it is rather strange and confusing that nilfs_cleanerd says
'NILFS_CLEANERD_PID=25215' without being able to start a process
properly. Is that perhaps a bug?

My problem is still:

[root@nixos:/home/mikael]# nilfs_cleanerd /dev/mapper/cryptroot
nilfs_cleanerd: error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0:

If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I am however able to start nilfs_cleanerd as
root.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Mikael Andersson

@ 2016-08-31  4:03   ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2016-08-31  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:01:09 +0200, mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems my NILFS is not garbage collected. The other day I was not
> able to boot up my NixOS due to a full disk. I booted on a USB stick
> and ran nilfs-clean which freed about 20 Gbytes. I suppose there
> should always be a process nilfs_cleanerd running on a system in order
> to clean up old check points. I have actually not read on the NILFS
> web site that nilfs_cleanerd should be running normally, but maybe I
> have missed this. Should it not be running normally?
>
> When I am running nilfs-clean on my device, I get:
>
> 'No cleaner found on /dev/dm-0.'
>
> mount | grep nilfs gives:
>
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot on / type nilfs2 (rw,relatime)
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot on /nix/store type nilfs2 (ro,relatime)
>
> nilfs-clean -V gives:
>
> nilfs-clean version 2.2.3
>
> I am only able to run nilfs_cleanerd after setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> /nix/store/*-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/lib
>
> nilfs_cleanerd /dev/mapper/cryptroot
> NILFS_CLEANERD_PID=24468
>
> It seems however like the process terminates since there does not seem
> to exist any process when running 'ps aux | grep nilfs'
>
> When trying 'sudo mount -t nilfs2 -o remount,pp=1
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot /', I get:
>
> /nix/store/y0ldq0j9qpax23d6g5iww7nz17xgx32q-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/sbin/nilfs_cleanerd:
> error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0: cannot open

I don't know the detail of NixOS, but the reason why nilfs_cleanerd
aborted looks to be in this environmental issue.

> mount.nilfs2: Warning: cannot get pid of cleanerd

This message indicates mount.nilfs2 failed to receive pid
from nilfs_cleanerd.  It looks like nilfs_cleanerd aborted before
handing over the pid completes.

> mount.nilfs2: cannot modify /etc/mtab.
> Please remount the partition with -f option after making /etc/mtab
> writable.

Is /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/self/mounts ?

If so, this mount.nilfs2 (NixOS distro package ?) looks to be
wrongly built.

There are two version with regards to mount.nilfs2, one uses /etc/mtab
and another uses libmount.  The latter doesn't rewrite /etc/mtab.

The latter version of mount.nilfs2 can be built with "--with-libmount"
configure option from the nilfs-utils source package.

 $ ./configure --with-libmount
 $ make

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi

@ 2016-08-31  4:27       ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2016-08-31  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:28:04 +0200, mikael-m2T68/X/qvZAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I am now able to run nilfs_cleanerd after running it as root... :)
> When I am running it with sudo I get below, although I set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH first:
>
> nilfs_cleanerd: error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0:
>
> Maybe sudo starts a new shell and loses the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?
>
> I think it is rather strange and confusing that nilfs_cleanerd says
> 'NILFS_CLEANERD_PID=25215' without being able to start a process
> properly. Is that perhaps a bug?

Seems that libnilfs.so is loaded when its function is used first time.
nilfs_cleanerd first tries to deliver PID to the parent process and
then call a function of libnilfs.  So, this order looks to be natural.

> My problem is still:
>
> [root@nixos:/home/mikael]# nilfs_cleanerd /dev/mapper/cryptroot
> nilfs_cleanerd: error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0:
>
> If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I am however able to start nilfs_cleanerd as
> root.
>
> Any ideas?

Try ldd to investigate library dependency.

 $ ldd /sbin/nilfs_cleanerd

If libnilfs.so is "not found", add the library path
where libnilfs.so exists, to /etc/ld.so.conf or /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf.
And, then run ldconfig.

Usually we don't have to care this kind of task.  It looks like there
is a problem in the NixOS distro package or your system environment.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi