* [ANNOUNCE] Open Fabrics Verbs Working Group (OFVWG) meeting tomorrow - 9/13/2016 at 11:00PDT
@ 2016-09-12 15:04 Liran Liss
       [not found] ` <VI1PR0501MB2189FBF50563679C4E61B1EFB1FF0-o1MPJYiShExf7S7AkGKGNcDSnupUy6xnnBOFsp37pqbUKgpGm//BTAC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: Liran Liss @ 2016-09-12 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	'ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5@public.gmane.org'

Following the recent discussions on unifying RDMA user-space, it looks like it is time to talk about a process to make it happen.
Let's dedicate this week's OFVWG slot for this.

Agenda items:
- Repositories
- Code submission and mailing lists
- Release process
- Schedules
- Other?

Thanks,
--Liran

Concall details
===========
JOIN WEBEX MEETING
https://mellanox-tech.webex.com/join/Liran.Liss  |  702 830 424

JOIN BY PHONE
1-80-9453550 Israel toll free
1-855-299-5224 USA/Canada toll free
Access code: 702 830 424

Global call-in numbers:
https://mellanox-tech.webex.com/mellanox-tech/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=457637257&tollFree=1

Toll-free calling restrictions:
http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Open Fabrics Verbs Working Group (OFVWG) meeting tomorrow - 9/13/2016 at 11:00PDT
@ 2016-09-12 16:01   ` Parav Pandit
       [not found]     ` <CAG53R5XUDkVgu5R2wHOyxd0FGEuEU+CTf1H_d9=Mk+DnDS51Ug-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Parav Pandit @ 2016-09-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Liss
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

Hi Liran,

We are almost reaching conclusions with Tejun, Christoph, Matan, Leon,
Jason and me with respect to rdma cgroup patches.

There were open question towards HFI driver about how it plans to use
new uverbs API.
If time permits can we discuss this so that we can close on rdma
cgroup patchset?
I haven't been active in OFVWG meeting for uapi yet, but I will also
join this call.

Regards,
Parav Pandit

@ 2016-09-12 16:10       ` Liran Liss
From: Liran Liss @ 2016-09-12 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

> From: Parav Pandit [mailto:pandit.parav@gmail.com]

> Hi Liran,
>
> We are almost reaching conclusions with Tejun, Christoph, Matan, Leon, Jason
> and me with respect to rdma cgroup patches.
>
> There were open question towards HFI driver about how it plans to use new
> uverbs API.
> If time permits can we discuss this so that we can close on rdma cgroup
> patchset?

Sure.

> I haven't been active in OFVWG meeting for uapi yet, but I will also join this call.

Welcome aboard! :)

@ 2016-09-12 16:23       ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit
  Cc: Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 09:31:04PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Hi Liran,
>
> We are almost reaching conclusions with Tejun, Christoph, Matan, Leon,
> Jason and me with respect to rdma cgroup patches.

Interesting view on the situation :)
Feel free to join and participate.

If time doesn't permit us, we will talk next week about
these patches in regards to ABI.

> There were open question towards HFI driver about how it plans to use
> new uverbs API.
> If time permits can we discuss this so that we can close on rdma
> cgroup patchset?
> I haven't been active in OFVWG meeting for uapi yet, but I will also
> join this call.
>
> Regards,
> Parav Pandit
>

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Liran Liss <liranl-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Following the recent discussions on unifying RDMA user-space, it looks like it is time to talk about a process to make it happen.
> > Let's dedicate this week's OFVWG slot for this.
> >
> > Agenda items:
> > - Repositories
> > - Code submission and mailing lists
> > - Release process
> > - Schedules
> > - Other?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Liran
> >
> > Concall details
> > ===========
> > JOIN WEBEX MEETING
> > https://mellanox-tech.webex.com/join/Liran.Liss  |  702 830 424
> >
> > JOIN BY PHONE
> > 1-80-9453550 Israel toll free
> > 1-855-299-5224 USA/Canada toll free
> > Access code: 702 830 424
> >
> > Global call-in numbers:
> > https://mellanox-tech.webex.com/mellanox-tech/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=457637257&tollFree=1
> >
> > Toll-free calling restrictions:
> > http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf
> >
> > --

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-13  6:48       ` Christoph Hellwig
       [not found]         ` <20160913064857.GA5988-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-13  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit
  Cc: Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 09:31:04PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
> I haven't been active in OFVWG meeting for uapi yet, but I will also
> join this call.

Please keep your discussions to the mailing list.  The phone call is a
total nightmare for keeping the coordination in one place.  Getting
right of it would be really helpful for improving the RDMA workflow and
adjusting it to the process used in the rest of the kernel.

@ 2016-09-13  7:01           ` Parav Pandit
       [not found]             ` <CAG53R5UO50zXYF_oUUA_MUhx+xYS8FbDkTsAzon6Fn4syDyWvQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Parav Pandit @ 2016-09-13  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

Hi Christoph,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Christoph Hellwig <hch-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 09:31:04PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
>> I haven't been active in OFVWG meeting for uapi yet, but I will also
>> join this call.
>
> Please keep your discussions to the mailing list.  The phone call is a
> total nightmare for keeping the coordination in one place.  Getting
> right of it would be really helpful for improving the RDMA workflow and
> adjusting it to the process used in the rest of the kernel.

Sure. I just want to remind HFI folks to give their comments. There
has been no response from them to Matan's question.

I am agreement with your point that most RDMA objects will have common
structure at the start and thats sufficient for cgroup to function
correctly. There hasn't been any disagreement yet on it.
So I am believing that we are good for now. Or I am missing something?
I will continue to have mailing list as one point for review and
discussion/feedback.

@ 2016-09-13  7:04               ` Christoph Hellwig
       [not found]                 ` <20160913070418.GA31616-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-13  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:31:22PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Sure. I just want to remind HFI folks to give their comments. There
> has been no response from them to Matan's question.
>
> I am agreement with your point that most RDMA objects will have common
> structure at the start and thats sufficient for cgroup to function
> correctly. There hasn't been any disagreement yet on it.
> So I am believing that we are good for now. Or I am missing something?
> I will continue to have mailing list as one point for review and
> discussion/feedback.

I think we're fine now.  The non-verbs HFSI interfaces aren't really a
fit for our inifiband/rdma (it should really be called ibverbs I guess)
interface.

@ 2016-09-13  7:08   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-13  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liran Liss
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	'ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5@public.gmane.org'

Hi Liran,

please stop adding subscribers-only mailinglist to linux-rdma CC's.
Thank you!

@ 2016-09-13  7:29                   ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2016-09-13  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Christoph Hellwig <hch-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:31:22PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
>> Sure. I just want to remind HFI folks to give their comments. There
>> has been no response from them to Matan's question.
>>
>> I am agreement with your point that most RDMA objects will have common
>> structure at the start and thats sufficient for cgroup to function
>> correctly. There hasn't been any disagreement yet on it.
>> So I am believing that we are good for now. Or I am missing something?
>> I will continue to have mailing list as one point for review and
>> discussion/feedback.
>
> I think we're fine now.  The non-verbs HFSI interfaces aren't really a
> fit for our inifiband/rdma (it should really be called ibverbs I guess)
> interface.

ok. Current patch should be able to manage rdma devices of below drivers.
cxgb3/4, i40iw, ib_rxe, mlx4/5, ocrdma, qed.

@ 2016-09-13 10:32                   ` Leon Romanovsky
       [not found]                     ` <20160913103238.GW8812-2ukJVAZIZ/Y@public.gmane.org>
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-13 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Parav Pandit, Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:04:18AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:31:22PM +0530, Parav Pandit wrote:
> > Sure. I just want to remind HFI folks to give their comments. There
> > has been no response from them to Matan's question.
> >
> > I am agreement with your point that most RDMA objects will have common
> > structure at the start and thats sufficient for cgroup to function
> > correctly. There hasn't been any disagreement yet on it.
> > So I am believing that we are good for now. Or I am missing something?
> > I will continue to have mailing list as one point for review and
> > discussion/feedback.
>
> I think we're fine now.  The non-verbs HFSI interfaces aren't really a
> fit for our inifiband/rdma (it should really be called ibverbs I guess)
> interface.

Out of curiosity, can you point me to the discussions where you
expressed your objections while hfi1 was added to drivers/inifiniband?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-14 12:30                       ` Christoph Hellwig
       [not found]                         ` <20160914123059.GA868-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-14 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Parav Pandit, Liran Liss,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 01:32:38PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > I think we're fine now.  The non-verbs HFSI interfaces aren't really a
> > fit for our inifiband/rdma (it should really be called ibverbs I guess)
> > interface.
>
> Out of curiosity, can you point me to the discussions where you
> expressed your objections while hfi1 was added to drivers/inifiniband?

No idea what you mean.  I'm fine with HFI living in drivers/infiniband,
although other places for it might not be wrong either.

I'm not fine with HFI exposing the non-verbs interfaces through
drivers/infiniband/core interface, which as far as I can tell it
currently does not even do, although some discussions here suggest
that a future interface should cater to those interface.

The real mistake was adding usnic, which has not business in
drivers/infiniband/ at all.

@ 2016-09-14 13:09                           ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Parav Pandit, Liran Liss, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 05:30:59AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 01:32:38PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > > I think we're fine now.  The non-verbs HFSI interfaces aren't really a
> > > fit for our inifiband/rdma (it should really be called ibverbs I guess)
> > > interface.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, can you point me to the discussions where you
> > expressed your objections while hfi1 was added to drivers/inifiniband?
>
> No idea what you mean.  I'm fine with HFI living in drivers/infiniband,
> although other places for it might not be wrong either.
>
> I'm not fine with HFI exposing the non-verbs interfaces through
> drivers/infiniband/core interface, which as far as I can tell it
> currently does not even do, although some discussions here suggest
> that a future interface should cater to those interface.

I see your point. Latest discussionis or more correct lack of interest
from Intel folks for proposed ABI suggest that it is best to limit this
ABI to verbs objects only. In such way, memcg will fit natively into
the stack.

> The real mistake was adding usnic, which has not business in
> drivers/infiniband/ at all.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-14 17:13                           ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]                             ` <20160914171349.GG16014-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-14 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Leon Romanovsky, Parav Pandit, Liran Liss,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 05:30:59AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> I'm not fine with HFI exposing the non-verbs interfaces through
> drivers/infiniband/core interface, which as far as I can tell it
> currently does not even do, although some discussions here suggest
> that a future interface should cater to those interface.

The counter balance is that the Kernel Community has had a lot of bad
experiences with drivers growing their own user APIs and 'subsystem'
like functionality.

Jason

@ 2016-09-15  5:00                               ` Leon Romanovsky
       [not found]                                 ` <20160915050005.GF26069-2ukJVAZIZ/Y@public.gmane.org>
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-15  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Parav Pandit, Liran Liss,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:13:49AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 05:30:59AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
> > I'm not fine with HFI exposing the non-verbs interfaces through
> > drivers/infiniband/core interface, which as far as I can tell it
> > currently does not even do, although some discussions here suggest
> > that a future interface should cater to those interface.
>
> The counter balance is that the Kernel Community has had a lot of bad
> experiences with drivers growing their own user APIs and 'subsystem'
> like functionality.

Do you see any desire of HFI authors to move to new general user API?

> Jason

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-15  5:39                                   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-15  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Christoph Hellwig, Parav Pandit, Liran Liss,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:00:05AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> Do you see any desire of HFI authors to move to new general user API?

A general API requires something general to be implemented first.
That's usually been the problem with driver specific APIs..

Once in a while people try to implement generic concepts drivers
specific, in which case it's easy to redirect them to a generic
subsystem.  It's been a while since I look at HFI, but IIRC only
the eeprom bits feel into such an existing categeory.  In theory
anything PSM specific could fit into a PSM subsystem, but without
anyone else even looking into that it's hard to define a subsystem
for it.  And there's just lots of weird stuff which we'd either
need to reject entirely (too late for HFI now) or live with a driver
specific API.

* RE: [Ofvwg] [ANNOUNCE] Open Fabrics Verbs Working Group (OFVWG) meeting tomorrow - 9/13/2016 at 11:00PDT
       [not found]                                 ` <20160915050005.GF26069-2ukJVAZIZ/Y@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-09-16  7:19                                   ` Weiny, Ira
       [not found]                                     ` <2807E5FD2F6FDA4886F6618EAC48510E24EE469A-8k97q/ur5Z2krb+BlOpmy7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Weiny, Ira @ 2016-09-16  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky, Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Parav Pandit, ofvwg-ZwoEplunGu1OwGhvXhtEPSCwEArCW2h5

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:13:49AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 05:30:59AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not fine with HFI exposing the non-verbs interfaces through
> > > drivers/infiniband/core interface, which as far as I can tell it
> > > currently does not even do, although some discussions here suggest
> > > that a future interface should cater to those interface.
> >
> > The counter balance is that the Kernel Community has had a lot of bad
> > experiences with drivers growing their own user APIs and 'subsystem'
> > like functionality.
>
> Do you see any desire of HFI authors to move to new general user API?

Obviously we designed to have PSM be it's own interface just like qib was.

I see advantages and disadvantages for both us and the community with both directions.

The largest issue we have right now is that we are not sure about the performance of PSM through the proposed interface.  Lack of performance would, of course, be a show stopper.  Validating performance will take time and will probably not be effective until we get farther down the interface.

Frankly, I just have not had time to try to evaluate what it would take to get a command through the new interface.  I have spent some time assessing which commands (verbs and PSM) need to be fast path.  And I have done a quick review of the latest rfc from a few weeks ago from Matan.  I hoping to find more time soon.

For the current set of patches, I noticed an "escape clause" for vendor specific IOCTLs.

        if (cmd == RDMA_DIRECT_IOCTL) {
                /* TODO? */
                err = -ENOSYS;
                goto out;
        } else {

I think we should have this but to Christophs point if you have something like this why not just have a separate cdev?

Christoph, do you think the addition of the PSM interface to infiniband/core is a pollution of that ABI?  I made a similar argument that from a user side opening /dev/infiniband/uverbsX and then doing PSM on that FD was "unclean".   Jason however, brought up some good points on why we may want to do that.

Frankly I think we should focus on verbs and keep the interface flexible, which is what we are doing.

Ira

@ 2016-09-16  9:12                                       ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-16  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weiny, Ira
  Cc: Leon Romanovsky, Jason Gunthorpe, Christoph Hellwig,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Parav Pandit,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 07:19:31AM +0000, Weiny, Ira wrote:
> I think we should have this but to Christophs point if you have something like this why not just have a separate cdev?

Yes, please.  It's not relate to the verbs interface in any way, so
don't shoer horn it into the verbs interface - that's just going to
create problems for both the verbs interface and psm.

> Christoph, do you think the addition of the PSM interface to infiniband/core is a pollution of that ABI?  I made a similar argument that from a user side opening /dev/infiniband/uverbsX and then doing PSM on that FD was "unclean".   Jason however, brought up some good points on why we may want to do that.

It's not infiniband infiniband core code, so it should not go there.  If
you think there is a reasonable chance of more PSM drivers we can have a
drivers/psm for it, otherwise leave it in the driver.

* RE: [ANNOUNCE] Open Fabrics Verbs Working Group (OFVWG) meeting tomorrow - 9/13/2016 at 11:00PDT
@ 2016-09-14 11:17 Liran Liss
From: Liran Liss @ 2016-09-14 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)