* Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc,accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-21 22:20 jim burns
From: jim burns @ 2016-09-21 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Pls cc me with any replies.

I didn't get any responses in xen-users, so I'm posting here. My use case is
as below, but the jist of it is is the qemu option -machine pc,accel=xen meant
to be usable in standalone qemu, or is it only available from a guest launched
by xl, or libvirtd via libxl? If the latter, are there any plans to make it
available as a standalone qemu option?

Thank you.

Subject: Openindiana, using -machine pc,accel=xen in qemu
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2016
From: jim burns <jim_burn@bellsouth.net>
To: xen-users@lists.xen.org

I have not been able to run OpenSolaris / openindiana (OI) in xen. OI is very
sensitive to the -machine parm in qemu. You can get grub to come up with hvm,
and add -v to the kernel line, and see that for -machine xenfv, the messages
stop / hang right after the printing of the cpuid features, and just before
pci bus enumeration. Qemu's -machine q35 is not much better. After the cpuid
features, it complains that the usb controllers ohci / ehci are unusable (no
SOF? Interrupts), enumerates the keyboard, then hangs. The next messages
should be about the usb mouse, and pci devices.

Awhile back, Jun 2013, patches were discussed in xen-devel to add an accel=
parm to the -machine type. I can use -machine pc,accel=kvm:tcg in stand alone
qemu. Booting under xen, there is no kvm, so the slow tcg emulation is chosen,
but it works. I can reboot bare-metal, and and kvm works marvelously, but I
have other guests I want to run under xen.

If I use accel=xen:kvm:tcg, and start my stand alone qemu OI guest as an
unpriviledged user, it complains about not having access to a priviledged
interface (xenpriv?), but other wise goes on to reject kvm, and pick tcg - no
surprise since you need root access to run xl, so why would stand alone qemu
work? However, when I do run as root, I get the following error:

failed to get HVM_PARAM_IOREQ_PFN
qemu-system-x86_64: failed to get ioreq server info: error 22
handle=0x562306ea5680
qemu-system-x86_64: xen hardware virtual machine initialisation failed

and then aborts, w/o going on to check kvm or tcg. Any ideas on where the
error is, how to correct? Any other parms needed in qemu? I've checked the
qemu-discuss and xen lists. There was one suggestion to use
'xen_platform_pci=0' in your xen cfg, which changes the -machine from xenfv to
pc,accel=xen, but the xen guest just aborts in the same place it was hanging
before. Hence, I'm trying to just use stand alone qemu.

Thx.

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-22 11:22 ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2016-09-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim burns; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 06:20:16PM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> I didn't get any responses in xen-users, so I'm posting here. My use case is
> as below, but the jist of it is is the qemu option -machine pc,accel=xen meant
> to be usable in standalone qemu, or is it only available from a guest launched
> by xl, or libvirtd via libxl? If the latter, are there any plans to make it
> available as a standalone qemu option?

Hi,

-machine pc,accel=xen is to be used by libxl (used by xl or libvirt).
libxl takes care of creating a guest and launch QEMU when needed.

There are some QEMU options to start a xen guest with standalone qemu,
but I don't know if they works. Look for -xen-create. But I don't think
that is what you would need.

What is your xen config file for OI ?

Also, how do you start OI with KVM/tcg? (qemu command line)

> I have not been able to run OpenSolaris / openindiana (OI) in xen. OI is very
> sensitive to the -machine parm in qemu. You can get grub to come up with hvm,
> and add -v to the kernel line, and see that for -machine xenfv, the messages
> stop / hang right after the printing of the cpuid features, and just before
> pci bus enumeration. Qemu's -machine q35 is not much better. After the cpuid

q35 won't work with Xen.

--
Anthony PERARD

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-22 14:37   ` jim burns
From: jim burns @ 2016-09-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD; +Cc: xen-devel

Pls cc me with any replies.

On Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:22:02 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 06:20:16PM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > I didn't get any responses in xen-users, so I'm posting here. My use case
> > is as below, but the jist of it is is the qemu option -machine
> > pc,accel=xen meant to be usable in standalone qemu, or is it only
> > available from a guest launched by xl, or libvirtd via libxl? If the
> > latter, are there any plans to make it available as a standalone qemu
> > option?
>
> Hi,
>
> -machine pc,accel=xen is to be used by libxl (used by xl or libvirt).
> libxl takes care of creating a guest and launch QEMU when needed.

That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook libxl
from a standalone qemu option?

> There are some QEMU options to start a xen guest with standalone qemu,
> but I don't know if they works. Look for -xen-create. But I don't think
> that is what you would need.

Tried that, and -xen-attach - no effect.

> What is your xen config file for OI ?

name = "osol134"
uuid = "f80856df-3180-acc5-931d-32190cfe4062"
memory=2048
vcpus=4
localtime=1
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
on_crash = "preserve"
#
boot="dc"
builder="hvm"
xen_platform_pci=0  # forces -machine pc,accel=xen
device_model_args=[ '-cpu','Haswell-noTSX' ]
#device_model_override='/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
#pvh=1
#viridian=1
#hdtype='ahci'
#device_model_stubdomain_override = 1 # using soundhw causes failure, can't
use qxl
#kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_32.gz" # upstream legacy grub doesn't
understand zfs

## live cd installer

Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]
#bootloader="pygrub"
#bootloader_args=[ "--kernel=/home/jimb/hipster/unix","--ramdisk=/home/jimb/
hipster/boot_archive","--args='-B
install_media=cdrom,console=ttya,livemode=text" ] #runtime
#kernel = "/home/jimb/hipster/unix" # the kernel and ramdisk are extracted
from the install dvd, and are intended for a pv domain, which doesn't work
#ramdisk = "/home/jimb/hipster/boot_archive"
#extra = "/platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix -B
install_media=cdrom,console=ttya,livemode=vesa" #live cd istaller

# runtime

#disk = [ "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w", "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r" ]
#disk = [ "format=raw,vdev=xvda,access=rw,target=/dev/dm-2",
"format=raw,vdev=xvdc,access=ro,devtype=cdrom,target=/home/jimb/Documents/
rpms/OI-hipster-gui-20160421.iso" ]
#kernel = "/home/jimb/hipster/unix.install"
#ramdisk = "/home/jimb/hipster/boot_archive.install"
#extra = "/platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix -B zfs-bootfs=rpool/ROOT/
openindiana-16,console=graphics" #runtime
##
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:72:da:33,bridge=virbr0,script=vif-bridge,model=e1000" ]
#vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,keymap=en-us" ]
#vga="stdvga"
vga="qxl"
videoram=128
#soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'
monitor=1
#
sdl=0
vnc=1
#vncconsole=1
#vncviewer=1
vncpasswd=''
vncdisplay=3 # means use :0
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
vncunused=0
keymap='en-us'
serial='pty'
usbdevice='mouse'
#
#spice
#vga='qxl' # can't use qemu-xen-traditional, supports (doesn't conflict with)
ovmf bios
spice=1
spiceport=6080
spicehost='0.0.0.0'
spicedisable_ticketing = 1 # default is 0
spicedisable_copy_paste = 0
#spicepasswd = 'test'
spicevdagent=1
spice_clipboard_sharing=1
#spiceusbredirection=4
##soundhw="hda" #for spice, no stubdom, see below for other options

> Also, how do you start OI with KVM/tcg? (qemu command line)

This script has a number of options. I invoke it as 'bin/osol151' to boot
normally from the hard disk. I can also boot from the dvd WHILE osol151 is
running, by changing the connection ports, and invoking as 'bin/osol134'. This
is to test various options with out disturbing my guest.

sock=spice.sock
vncport=0
spiceport=6070
if [ "`basename $0`" = "osol134" ]; then
  sock=spice.sock134
  vncport=3
  spiceport=6080
fi
#if libvirtd isn't working (after an update), I use xenbr0, else virbr0
netdev="tap,br=xenbr0,id=net0,script=no,downscript=no" #requires root
netdev="bridge,id=net0,br=virbr0"
#experimenting with sockets
Spice_opts="-device virtio-vga,virgl=on -spice unix,gl=on,addr=/run/user/1000/
$sock"
spice_opts="-device qxl-vga,vram_size_mb=64,ram_size_mb=64 -spice port=
$spiceport,tls-port=0,addr=127.0.0.1"
set -x
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -nodefaults -name `basename $0` -localtime -vnc
0.0.0.0:0,to=99 -display none $spice_opts,disable-ticketing,agent-mouse=on -
device virtio-serial -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent -device
virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -k en-us -serial pty -
cpu Haswell-noTSX -machine pc,accel=xen:kvm:tcg,kernel_irqchip=on -m 3000 -
boot order=dc -usb -usbdevice mouse -soundhw
sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a -smp 4,maxcpus=4 -device
e1000,id=nic0,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:3e:72:da:33 -netdev $netdev -drive file=/
dev/dm-2,if=ide,index=0,media=disk,format=raw,cache=writeback -drive file=/
home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
gui-20160421.iso,if=ide,index=2,readonly=on,media=cdrom,format=raw,cache=writeback,id=ide-51744
&
sleep 2; if echo $spice_opts|grep -q virgl; then remote-viewer spice+unix:///
run/user/1000/$sock& else ( remote-viewer spice://localhost:$spiceport ||
vncviewer :$vncport )& fi

> > I have not been able to run OpenSolaris / openindiana (OI) in xen. OI is
> > very sensitive to the -machine parm in qemu. You can get grub to come up
> > with hvm, and add -v to the kernel line, and see that for -machine xenfv,
> > the messages stop / hang right after the printing of the cpuid features,
> > and just before pci bus enumeration. Qemu's -machine q35 is not much
> > better. After the cpuid
>
> q35 won't work with Xen.

Just out of idle curiosity, any plans to make it work?

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-26 11:32     ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2016-09-26 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim burns; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37:14AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> Pls cc me with any replies.
>
> On Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:22:02 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 06:20:16PM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > > I didn't get any responses in xen-users, so I'm posting here. My use case
> > > is as below, but the jist of it is is the qemu option -machine
> > > pc,accel=xen meant to be usable in standalone qemu, or is it only
> > > available from a guest launched by xl, or libvirtd via libxl? If the
> > > latter, are there any plans to make it available as a standalone qemu
> > > option?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > -machine pc,accel=xen is to be used by libxl (used by xl or libvirt).
> > libxl takes care of creating a guest and launch QEMU when needed.
>
> That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook libxl
> from a standalone qemu option?

With xl, you can add arguments to the qemu command line via the option:
device_model_args_hvm = [ "-extra-option", 'example' ]

> > What is your xen config file for OI ?
>
> name = "osol134"
> uuid = "f80856df-3180-acc5-931d-32190cfe4062"
> memory=2048
> vcpus=4
> localtime=1
> on_poweroff = "destroy"
> on_reboot = "destroy"
> on_crash = "preserve"
> #
> boot="dc"
> builder="hvm"
> xen_platform_pci=0  # forces -machine pc,accel=xen
> device_model_args=[ '-cpu','Haswell-noTSX' ]

This -cpu would not work, QEMU have no control over the cpu when running
with Xen.

> ## live cd installer
>
> Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
> gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]

Would the guest works if you change xvda and xvdc to respectively hda
and hdc?

> vga="qxl"
> videoram=128
> #soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
> soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'

You could specify only one sound card, instead of all, and you could use
'hda' to start with.

> usbdevice='mouse'

Try with a tablet instead of the mouse:
usbdevice='tablet'
That is usually the virtual device I use for a mouse.
You could try also without the usbdevice option, and see if the guest
boot.

--
Anthony PERARD

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-26 15:02       ` jim burns
From: jim burns @ 2016-09-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD; +Cc: xen-devel

On Monday, 26 September 2016, 12:32:01 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37:14AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > Pls cc me with any replies.

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > -machine pc,accel=xen is to be used by libxl (used by xl or libvirt).
> > > libxl takes care of creating a guest and launch QEMU when needed.
> >
> > That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook
> > libxl from a standalone qemu option?
>
> With xl, you can add arguments to the qemu command line via the option:
> device_model_args_hvm = [ "-extra-option", 'example' ]

And you saw me use that, as below. What I was asking is is there an option for
standalone qemu that will let it connect to libxl?

> > > What is your xen config file for OI ?
> >
> > name = "osol134"
> > uuid = "f80856df-3180-acc5-931d-32190cfe4062"
> > memory=2048
> > vcpus=4
> > localtime=1
> > on_poweroff = "destroy"
> > on_reboot = "destroy"
> > on_crash = "preserve"
> > #
> > boot="dc"
> > builder="hvm"
> > xen_platform_pci=0  # forces -machine pc,accel=xen
> > device_model_args=[ '-cpu','Haswell-noTSX' ]
>
> This -cpu would not work, QEMU have no control over the cpu when running
> with Xen.

Well, that may be, but if you do a process list, and grep for the qemu process
that xl just created, the -cpu option shows up. Also, when I can get a verbose
boot log from an xl initiated OpenIndiana (OI), the cpuid options listed
correspond to the cpuid options listed when I run OI with standalone qemu with
'-cpu Haswell-noTSX', including sse4.n, avx*, and x2apic. Of course, my system
IS an Haswell Icore-5, so xen may just be passing the host cpu along.

> > ## live cd installer
> >
> > Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
> > gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]
>
> Would the guest works if you change xvda and xvdc to respectively hda
> and hdc?
>
> > vga="qxl"
> > videoram=128
> > #soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
> > soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'
>
> You could specify only one sound card, instead of all, and you could use
> 'hda' to start with.
>
> > usbdevice='mouse'
>
> Try with a tablet instead of the mouse:
> usbdevice='tablet'
> That is usually the virtual device I use for a mouse.
> You could try also without the usbdevice option, and see if the guest
> boot.

Neither '-soundhw hda' or '-usbdevice tablet' work in standalone qemu OI. OI
has initialization problems with hda, and I had to use another sound driver.
That's why I pass all the drivers except hda to standalone qemu. Also, OI
software is quite old (Gnome 2, gcc 4.9, xorg 1.14, etc.) and they don't
really have a tablet driver, and passing a tablet to standalone qemu resulted
in a non functional mouse.

None the less, I tried all three changes to my xen cfg, and commenting out the
Haswell option, and there was no difference.

To reiterate from my OP, when 'xen_platform_pci=1', I can boot into grub, edit
the kernel line for verbose booting (-v), and the boot msgs list the decoded
cpuid flags, then hang on the enumeration of the first pci device. If I pass
'xen_platform_pci=0', I get the same msgs, but then the domain aborts with a
null pointer dereference in an OI kernel driver.

My only concern here is getting hardware acceleration for my OI domain, which
right now is only thru kvm/qemu, which is inconvenient to have to boot bare
metal, or have a very slow domain under a xen boot. However, I've tried
numerous variations in my xen cfg, to no avail. If there is no standalone qemu
option to connect it to libxl, are there any plans to include one down the
road? (Which was my original question.)

P.S. - I have read with interest your xen-devel posts this month on OVMF (as a
user, not a developer). I had to re-compile xen with '-enable-ovmf', since
Fedora (at least) does not deliver it that way, and that was not straight
forward. That code path needs a little love since -Werror is used a lot. There
were a couple of source files that gcc choked on for improper indentation, and
a ton of files in the compile of edk2 that choked on a variable that was set
but not used, except in an 'assert' statement. I had to add '-Wno-unused-but-
set-variable' to BaseTools/Conf/tools_def.template. Then, in the compile of
gmp, the configure script couldn't calculate sizeof(unsigned short),
sizeof(unsigned), etc., and I had to force reasonable values.

I'll be interested to see what OVMF becomes next.

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-26 16:21         ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2016-09-26 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim burns; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:02:44AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> On Monday, 26 September 2016, 12:32:01 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37:14AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > > Pls cc me with any replies.

> > > That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook
> > > libxl from a standalone qemu option?
> >
> > With xl, you can add arguments to the qemu command line via the option:
> > device_model_args_hvm = [ "-extra-option", 'example' ]
>
> And you saw me use that, as below. What I was asking is is there an option for
> standalone qemu that will let it connect to libxl?

No, that is not possible.

> > > ## live cd installer
> > >
> > > Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
> > > gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]
> >
> > Would the guest works if you change xvda and xvdc to respectively hda
> > and hdc?
> >
> > > vga="qxl"
> > > videoram=128
> > > #soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
> > > soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'
> >
> > You could specify only one sound card, instead of all, and you could use
> > 'hda' to start with.
> >
> > > usbdevice='mouse'
> >
> > Try with a tablet instead of the mouse:
> > usbdevice='tablet'
> > That is usually the virtual device I use for a mouse.
> > You could try also without the usbdevice option, and see if the guest
> > boot.
>
> Neither '-soundhw hda' or '-usbdevice tablet' work in standalone qemu OI. OI
> has initialization problems with hda, and I had to use another sound driver.
> That's why I pass all the drivers except hda to standalone qemu. Also, OI
> software is quite old (Gnome 2, gcc 4.9, xorg 1.14, etc.) and they don't
> really have a tablet driver, and passing a tablet to standalone qemu resulted
> in a non functional mouse.
>
> None the less, I tried all three changes to my xen cfg, and commenting out the
> Haswell option, and there was no difference.
>
> To reiterate from my OP, when 'xen_platform_pci=1', I can boot into grub, edit
> the kernel line for verbose booting (-v), and the boot msgs list the decoded
> cpuid flags, then hang on the enumeration of the first pci device. If I pass
> 'xen_platform_pci=0', I get the same msgs, but then the domain aborts with a
> null pointer dereference in an OI kernel driver.
>
> My only concern here is getting hardware acceleration for my OI domain, which
> right now is only thru kvm/qemu, which is inconvenient to have to boot bare
> metal, or have a very slow domain under a xen boot. However, I've tried
> numerous variations in my xen cfg, to no avail. If there is no standalone qemu
> option to connect it to libxl, are there any plans to include one down the
> road? (Which was my original question.)

Try this (apix_enable=0):
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27307/html/vmrns-bugs.html#vmrns-solaris10hangs
with 'xen_platform_pci=1' in your config. (it did not work for me with
xen_platform_pci=0.)

It worked for me with the "OpenIndiana Build 151a8 Server CD".

--
Anthony PERARD

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu
@ 2016-09-26 19:27           ` jim burns
From: jim burns @ 2016-09-26 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD; +Cc: xen-devel

On Monday, 26 September 2016, 17:21:12 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> Try this (apix_enable=0):
> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27307/html/vmrns-bugs.html#vmrns-solar
> is10hangs with 'xen_platform_pci=1' in your config. (it did not work for me
> with xen_platform_pci=0.)
>
> It worked for me with the "OpenIndiana Build 151a8 Server CD".

Glad you provided a link. I was going to put apix_enable=0 in the xen cfg
file. Unfortunately, I went ahead and put in the vhd's /etc/system before I
shutdown, and then found I couldn't boot back up again.

I tried the OI-hipster-gui-20160421 and oi-dev-151a8-live-x86 DVDs with the -
kd procedure on the grub kernel command line. I got a little further with the
boot msgs, but it still panic-ed with a null dereference.

Finally, I was able to boot the vhd with standalone qemu and accel=tcg (no
accel) for some reason, and was able to comment out the apix_enable line in /
etc/system, then tested rebooting with the -kd procedure, with the same
results as the DVDs. I tried with the drives defined as xvd{a,c} and hd{a,c},
with and without the -cpu definition in the xen cfg. (Interestingly enough,
you can't see the debugger prompt with the Xorg progress screen, but the
debugger still accepts input.)

The web page link refers to the Westmere cpu family. I don't know what cpu
family you had success on, but it didn't work for me.

Unless you have any other ideas, I'm giving up for now. Thanx for your help.

* Re: Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu - Success!
@ 2016-10-05 18:46             ` jim burns
       [not found]               ` <339333DD-C225-4648-98A5-68A7F75496D9@netgate.net>
From: jim burns @ 2016-10-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD; +Cc: xen-users, xen-devel

Pls cc: me with any replies.

On Monday, 26 September 2016, 15:27:59 EDT, jim burns wrote:
> Unless you have any other ideas, I'm giving up for now. Thanx for your help.

Things have changed on the Hipster branch of OI, giving me a new environment
to test.

Mainly, they have ditched legacy grub in favor of a Forth based boot loader.
Whereas I still cannot boot the grub based install dvds in xen, I can with the
Forth based vhd. However, things are still in flux. A lot of packages on
Hipster are changing - mostly the the python packages. Instead of being
updated, they are being removed, then, if appropriate, treated as a new
install.

The effect is that the boot process is unreliable. I have to retry the boot 4
- 10 times before it stops stalling. This is true for both kvm and xen. If I
had to guess, I'd say that the init software is having trouble bringing up the
extra vcpus. When you do an 'xl vcpu-list ...' during a boot stall, only vcpu0
is 'b' or 'r'; the others are 'p'. When I do boot successfully, all vcpus are
'b' or 'r'. Once booted, the system is reliable.

As such, installing a new OI Hipster system would be a 2 step procedure - use
kvm to install OI on the vhd, run a complete system update, then convert over
to xen with the notes below.

One other change I made which may or not be necessary: I noticed that a lot of
my panic / stack traces involve platform dependant kernel modules that should
not be loaded in an hvm machine - namely xnf, and sometimes xpvd, which are
from the para-virtualization path in OI. I uninstalled the package xvm/pv,
which is used by Solaris' lightweight container virtualization solution -
Zones, which removes the /platform/i86hvm directory. There is also a /
platform/i86xpv directory which is used by the now unmaintained xen drivers. I
couldn't remove the package corresponding to that directory without removing
the non para-virtualization drivers in /platform/i86pc, so I just renamed the
i86xpv directory. This step has to be done every time you get an update for
the package kernel/platform. Once things appear more solid, including booting,
these changes can easily be reversed.

The following guest domain cfg options are different from the cfg I posted
earlier in this thread:

vcpus=2
memory=3076
boot="cd"
xen_platform_pci=0
#viridian=1
#viridian=0
viridian=[ "all" ]
hap=1
nestedhvm=1
#pvh=1 # causes panic w/stack trace
#hdtype='ahci' # causes panic w/stack trace

The new boot loader has a sub menu for setting kernel options, like verbose. I
noticed on occasion that the stall occurs after initializing vcpus 0 & 1, with
vcpus=4, so I reduced the number of vcpus.

I increased memory to match my kvm options.

Instead of booting off grub on the dvd, then chaining to Forth, I eliminated
any left over initialization problems from grub by booting directly off the
vhd.

The value of xen_platform_pci can be 0 or 1, with no difference - except,
curiously enough, the network card generation number changes: e1000g1 for kvm
and xen_platform_pci=0, e1000g2 otherwise. I would have thought the -netdev
option would have more effect than the -machine option.

All the viridian options above are equally valid. The default is viridian=1.

Tho' commented out before, hap=1 is the default if your system supports it, as
my Haswell icore-5 does.

When adding nestedhvm=1, the cpuid option 'vmx' shows up for the first time in
the boot log.

* Re: [Xen-users]  Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu - Success!
       [not found]               ` <339333DD-C225-4648-98A5-68A7F75496D9@netgate.net>
@ 2016-10-05 19:21                 ` jim burns
From: jim burns @ 2016-10-05 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-users, Xen-devel; +Cc: Kevin Brooks

On Wednesday, 5 October 2016, 11:57:11 EDT, Kevin Brooks wrote:
> Sure. Jim can access webmail at https://mail.netgate.net/webmail
>
> Jim should have a document from us with all of his settings, including the
> link to webmail.

???? - can someone other than the OP verify that this is a legitimate web
site, and I have not just been phished? I'm not enabling javascript for this
site until I get confirmation.

Thank you.