* using SDT events
@ 2016-09-27 13:55 Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2016-09-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masami Hiramatsu

Masami,

	Testing something else (event aliases/JSON) I saw the many sdt
events available via 'perf list', decided to use the usual workflow,
failed, what am I doing wrong?

[root@jouet ~]# perf list sdt_qemu:pci*

List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):

  sdt_qemu:pci_cfg_read                              [SDT event]
  sdt_qemu:pci_cfg_write                             [SDT event]
  sdt_qemu:pci_update_mappings_add                   [SDT event]
  sdt_qemu:pci_update_mappings_del                   [SDT event]
[root@jouet ~]# perf record -e sdt_qemu:pci* -a
event syntax error: 'sdt_qemu:pci*'
                     \___ unknown tracepoint

Error:	File /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/sdt_qemu/pci* not found.
Hint:	Perhaps this kernel misses some CONFIG_ setting to enable this
feature?.

Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

 Usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]

    -e, --event <event>   event selector. use 'perf list' to list
available events
[root@jouet ~]#

* Re: using SDT events
@ 2016-09-27 18:40 ` Masami Hiramatsu
From: Masami Hiramatsu @ 2016-09-27 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:55:38 -0300
Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:

> Masami,
>
> 	Testing something else (event aliases/JSON) I saw the many sdt
> events available via 'perf list', decided to use the usual workflow,
> failed, what am I doing wrong?

No, that is not supported yet. So I dropped perf-list support from
the latest series...

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/7/1/133

The unresolved problems are
 - how we treat sdt events after recorded? remove or leave it as tracepoint?
 - what should be done if we found the tracepoint which has same name of the
   SDT. (we can not reserve tracepoint name beforehand)
 - Sometimes SDT name can be conflict, even on same binary.

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>

* Re: using SDT events
@ 2016-09-28 13:34   ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2016-09-28 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masami Hiramatsu
  Cc: Wang Nan, Jiri Olsa, David Ahern, Namhyung Kim,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Em Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:40:26AM -0700, Masami Hiramatsu escreveu:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:55:38 -0300
> Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > Masami,
> >
> > 	Testing something else (event aliases/JSON) I saw the many sdt
> > events available via 'perf list', decided to use the usual workflow,
> > failed, what am I doing wrong?
>
> No, that is not supported yet. So I dropped perf-list support from
> the latest series...

Ok, I guess I recall that discussion, will add some warning about that
in the 'perf list' output.

- Arnaldo