* gma500: color distortion on framebuffer console unbind
@ 2016-10-10  8:01 Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2016-10-10  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrik Jakobsson; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi Patrik,

I am using the gma500 driver of the latest stable kernel, 4.8.1. My hardware
is Atom N2600 processor integrated graphics controller, PCI PID: 0x0be1.
Output is LVDS. The system starts with framebuffer console enabled. Later in
the boot process I unbind the console with the following command:

  echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind

Immediately as the console is unbound some colors on the screen appear
distorted. The links below show the output of 'fb-test'
(https://github.com/prpplague/fb-test-app) before and after unbind.

  http://filebin.ca/2xxwlwtBBzBN/display-good.jpg
  http://filebin.ca/2xxxTyIboJnR/display-bad.jpg

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
baruch

   - baruch@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -

* Re: gma500: color distortion on framebuffer console unbind
@ 2016-10-19 22:39 ` Patrik Jakobsson
From: Patrik Jakobsson @ 2016-10-19 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Siach; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. Could be that we're not restoring the state
properly. Not sure though that we guarantee that the framebuffer
contents is valid after unbind. Perhaps take a look at what other
drivers do. I see the same issue on my PSB systems which run SDVO so
it is at least not LVDS related. Unfortunately I wont have time to
look at anything gma500 related at the moment. Feel free to dig into
this and I'll also put it on my todo-list.

Cheers
Patrik

@ 2016-10-25  7:34   ` Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2016-10-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrik Jakobsson; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi Patrik,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 12:39:35AM +0200, Patrik Jakobsson wrote:
> Sorry for late reply. Could be that we're not restoring the state
> properly. Not sure though that we guarantee that the framebuffer
> contents is valid after unbind. Perhaps take a look at what other
> drivers do. I see the same issue on my PSB systems which run SDVO so
> it is at least not LVDS related. Unfortunately I wont have time to
> look at anything gma500 related at the moment. Feel free to dig into
> this and I'll also put it on my todo-list.

Thanks for taking the time to reproduce this issue. This rules out any local
board layout issue on my side. For the record, my hardware is the Advantech
SIMB-M02 Mini-ITX board.

I should have mentioned that the issue persists after unbind. That is, when I
run fb-test only after unbind, I see the same corrupted display. So
framebuffer content invalidation on console unbind is unlikely to be the issue
here.

One more point that we see a similar issue with our Qt based application that
uses the "linuxfb" plugin. The interesting twist here is that SOMETIMES the
display corruption issue just disappears after a few minutes. The application
is idle during that time. Not sure what to make of that.

Thanks,
baruch

   - baruch@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -