* [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 10:53 Paolo Bonzini
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-19 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Alexander Graf

Hi all,

another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.

The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.

The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.

The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
website.  For example:

- http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download

- http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks

- http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page

Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
(now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 11:02 ` Daniel P. Berrange
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2016-10-19 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:53:55PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>
> The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
> pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.
>
> The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
> from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.
>
> The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
> migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
> website.  For example:
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
> http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
> page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page
>
> Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
> (now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
> design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).

My main question is about the styling + logo. We have a logo for QEMU,
but neither the old website nor your new website use it.

   http://wiki.qemu.org/Logo

It has a quite distinct black + orange colourscheme, which IMHO doesn't
fit with the greenish colour scheme you've used here.

Do we still like that logo ? If so, we should use it, and align the
website colour scheme with that logo colourscheme, so we have a consistent
brand style.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 11:36   ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2016-10-19 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 19/10/2016 13:02, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:53:55PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
>> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
>> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>>
>> The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
>> pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.
>>
>> The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
>> from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.
>>
>> The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
>> migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
>> website.  For example:
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
>> http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
>> page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page
>>
>> Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
>> (now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
>> design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).
>
> My main question is about the styling + logo. We have a logo for QEMU,
> but neither the old website nor your new website use it.
>
>    http://wiki.qemu.org/Logo
>
> It has a quite distinct black + orange colourscheme, which IMHO doesn't
> fit with the greenish colour scheme you've used here.
>
> Do we still like that logo ? If so, we should use it, and align the
> website colour scheme with that logo colourscheme, so we have a consistent
> brand style.

I agree. I also wouldn't mind something more imageful for the top
banner. I'm sure you can assemble something out of this amazing photo
which I happily license under whatever CC works for the web page:

  https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx2t4r4rrgu1yf5/P1160725.jpg?dl=0

Also, SUSE is spelled "SUSE" for - uh - 10 years I think now :). Also,
the command line to install qemu is:

  zypper install qemu

as you would expect ;)

But I like it so far - it's a really good start!

Alex

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 11:46   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-19 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

On 19/10/2016 13:02, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> My main question is about the styling + logo. We have a logo for QEMU,
> but neither the old website nor your new website use it.
>
>    http://wiki.qemu.org/Logo
>
> It has a quite distinct black + orange colourscheme, which IMHO doesn't
> fit with the greenish colour scheme you've used here.

Green was just the default for the theme I started with.  I'm not good
at colors, but we can change it to red/orange.

We can do that even without including the QEMU logo on the website
(which I wouldn't do without consulting a graphics designer).

Paolo

> Do we still like that logo ? If so, we should use it, and align the
> website colour scheme with that logo colourscheme, so we have a consistent
> brand style.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 12:07 ` Lluís Vilanova
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lluís Vilanova @ 2016-10-19 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

Paolo Bonzini writes:

> Hi all,
> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.

Tiny nit pick: I would clarify that user-mode emulation can also run Linux/BSD
apps for *any architecture/machine* on any supported architecture (just like
full-system emulation).

Cheers,
  Lluis

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 12:19   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-19 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On 19/10/2016 14:07, Lluís Vilanova wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
>> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
>> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>
> Tiny nit pick: I would clarify that user-mode emulation can also run Linux/BSD
> apps for *any architecture/machine* on any supported architecture (just like
> full-system emulation).

Yeah, that's what I meant by "another Linux/BSD target"... Help
clarifying that is welcome.

@ 2016-10-20  2:14 ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2016-10-20  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

On Wed, 10/19 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>
> The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
> pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.
>
> The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
> from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.
>
> The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
> migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
> website.  For example:
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
> http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
> page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page
>
> Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
> (now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
> design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).
>
> Paolo

In download page, should putting Linux commands in <pre></pre> look better, like
in macOS? (also applies to the git command line in contribute page).

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-20  6:43 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2016-10-20  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel; +Cc: Alexander Graf

On 19.10.2016 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.

Looks good to me! Two comments, though:

- The main font color is not black, but rather some dark grey. I think
  I'd rather change that to something darker (either black or a darker
  grey) instead - there are people who have problems with low contrasts,
  and especially the "What is QEMU?" section with the light grey
  background might be hard to read for them.

- For the final website, please make sure that the pages pass an HTML
  validator like http://validator.w3.org. Currently it reports an error:

    Error: Self-closing syntax (/>) used on a non-void HTML element.
    Ignoring the slash and treating as a start tag.
    From line 163, column 8; to line 163, column 40
    i>↩			<li><a href="http://xenproject.org"/>Xen</a

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-20 12:06   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-20 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fam Zheng, qemu-devel

On 20/10/2016 04:14, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Wed, 10/19 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
>> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
>> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>>
>> The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
>> pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.
>>
>> The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
>> from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.
>>
>> The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
>> migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
>> website.  For example:
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
>> http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
>> page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks
>>
>> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page
>>
>> Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
>> (now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
>> design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).
>
> In download page, should putting Linux commands in <pre></pre> look better, like
> in macOS? (also applies to the git command line in contribute page).

The problem is that there are many such lines.  I've now tried a
compromise where all monospaced font has the grey background.

@ 2016-10-20 12:16   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, qemu-devel; +Cc: Alexander Graf

On 20/10/2016 08:43, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 19.10.2016 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
>> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
>> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>
> Looks good to me! Two comments, though:
>
> - The main font color is not black, but rather some dark grey. I think
>   I'd rather change that to something darker (either black or a darker
>   grey) instead - there are people who have problems with low contrasts,
>   and especially the "What is QEMU?" section with the light grey
>   background might be hard to read for them.

Reload for a surprise. :)

> - For the final website, please make sure that the pages pass an HTML
>   validator like http://validator.w3.org. Currently it reports an error:
>
>     Error: Self-closing syntax (/>) used on a non-void HTML element.
>     Ignoring the slash and treating as a start tag.
>     From line 163, column 8; to line 163, column 40
>     i>↩			<li><a href="http://xenproject.org"/>Xen</a

Fixed all, thanks!

@ 2016-10-20 13:23     ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2016-10-20 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Thomas Huth, qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 02:16:37PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 20/10/2016 08:43, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > On 19.10.2016 12:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> >> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> >> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
> >
> > Looks good to me! Two comments, though:
> >
> > - The main font color is not black, but rather some dark grey. I think
> >   I'd rather change that to something darker (either black or a darker
> >   grey) instead - there are people who have problems with low contrasts,
> >   and especially the "What is QEMU?" section with the light grey
> >   background might be hard to read for them.
>
> Reload for a surprise. :)

I'm not a fan of the huge page in the background - even with it faded
out it still distracts from the content above it. The bright red banner
is a bit too brash too and some of the different colour shades clash.

I mocked up a variant on your styling to illustrate a potential
alternative approach:

  https://berrange.com/~dan/qemu/index.html

There's essentially only 2 colors used there - the orange from the
QEMU logo is used for links when you hover/click them. That orange
then has lightness value reduced, so give the darker orange for
header and non-active links. That ensures the relative color mix
between the two is consistent, avoiding clashing color.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-21 13:34 ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2016-10-21 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:53:55PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> another small PSA. :)  I have created a small but hopefully useful
> example of a new QEMU website at http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/.  The
> site aims at providing and also a home for blog posts about QEMU.
>
> The site resides in a single git tree, so that requests to modify the
> pages (and even blog posts :)) can be posted to qemu-devel as usual.
>
> The blog post in there is dummy, and the "blog" link will be removed
> from navigation until there's a first post, if the site goes online.
>
> The site is designed to live together with the wiki and provide a
> migration path for qemu-project.org, from the wiki to a standalone
> website.  For example:
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/Download redirects to the new page
> http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/download
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/BiteSizedTasks redirects to the wiki
> page http://wiki.qemu-project.org/BiteSizedTasks
>
> - http://qemu-bonzini.rhcloud.com/foobar is a 404 page
>
> Impressions, ideas and lart-ing for my feeble attempts at Javascript
> (now I understand why people are so keen on stackoverflow!) and graphic
> design are welcome.  (Yes, the icons in the homepage are not definitive).

BTW, it would be good practice to have a prominent link to QEMU security
issue reporting procedure somewhere on the front page.

@ 2016-10-21  9:22           ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-21  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Weil, Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 21/10/2016 07:23, Stefan Weil wrote:
> That won't make the situation better, because the desktops also include
> elements with copyright. That's why the QEMU article on Wikipedia shows
> ReactOS, not a Windows desktop.

It's still possible to show a selection of guests (certainly not Apple
ones, but that's okay).  Wikipedia in general (though not all language
editions are the same!) wants to ensure minimum hassle for those that
reuse the contents.

Linux guests obviously pose no issues, and Microsoft's policy for
screenshots is longish but very reasonable
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/permissions/default.aspx):

* Use full product name
If your use includes references to a Microsoft product, you must use the
full name of the product. When referencing any Microsoft trademarks,
follow the General Microsoft Trademark Guidelines.

* Link Methods
You may link to Microsoft content by using either a plain text link with
words such as "This way to Microsoft.com" or by participating in an
applicable Link Logo program. No other images may be used as a link to a
Microsoft site.

* No offensive use
Your use may not be obscene or pornographic, and you may not be
disparaging, defamatory, or libelous to Microsoft, any of its products,
or any other person or entity.

* Permitted by Microsoft
You must include the following statement: "Used with permission from
Microsoft."

* You may not use screenshots of Microsoft product boot-up screens,
opening screens, "splash screens," or screens from beta release products
or other products that have not been commercially released.

* You may use other screenshots in advertising, in documentation
(including educational brochures), in tutorial books, in videos, or on
websites, provided that, in addition to the requirements above, you:
  - Do not alter the screenshot except to resize it.
  - Do not use portions of screenshots.
  - Do not include screenshots in your product user interface.
  - Do not use screenshots that contain third-party content.
  - Do not use screenshots that contain an image of an identifiable
    individual.

In fact, the ugly icons in the front page are supposed to be replaced by
a screenshot gallery!  My plan was to take inspiration from the QEMU
advent calendar, but if you have other ideas please send 800x600 JPG or
PNG screenshots to me off list.

@ 2016-10-21  5:23         ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2016-10-21  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 10/21/16 04:10, Programmingkid wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-21  2:10       ` Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-10-21  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, qemu-devel qemu-devel

@ 2016-10-20 15:05       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2016-10-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid, Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 10/20/2016 08:57 AM, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> I'm thinking icons and logos for operating systems could be on the
>>> emulator's page that can run that emulator. Maybe a few links to HD
>>> image files of preinstalled operating systems would help the user too.
>>
>> Using official icons/logos from various OS vendors/products is likely to
>> stumble into trademark usage restrictions/problems, whereby you need to
>> get permission for usage from the trademark holder. As such it is best
>> to avoid using any logos unless they're clearly under a trademark rule
>> that allows us to use them.
>
> So what you are saying is we can't display a Windows logo or an Apple logo? I am sure I have seen plenty of websites with these logos displayed. If we can't use the offical logo/icon, maybe someone could make an unofficial one.

[you may want to teach your mailer to wrap long lines]

You are correct that we don't want to risk displaying someone's logo,
because they could turn around and complain that their logo is only to
be used on products they endorse but that we don't meet their criteria
for endorsing.  In legal matters, it's better to ask permission first,
than to deal with fallout for violating terms, but since permission can
be lengthy to obtain and difficult to document, it's simpler to just
avoid the matter altogether.  But your suggestion to use an unofficial
logo is even worse - drawing one ourselves that is different than the
official logo is legally questionable because it infringes on the
trademark protections of the original.

Just because other sites are taking a legal risk doesn't mean that we
have to follow their ill-advised actions.  Or maybe those sites HAVE
obtained written permission.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-20 14:47       ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2016-10-20 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 20 October 2016 at 14:57, Programmingkid <programmingkidx@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what you are saying is we can't display a Windows logo or an
> Apple logo? I am sure I have seen plenty of websites with these
> logos displayed. If we can't use the offical logo/icon, maybe someone
> could make an unofficial one.

There's not much point using an unofficial one because it would
fail to do the job of being instantly recognizable. (And depending
on how close it was to the official logo it might still fall foul
of trademark law.)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-20 14:02       ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2016-10-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel, Paolo Bonzini

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 09:57:57AM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:

> >> I really like the homepage you made. It looks really good. Reminds me of ReactOS's site.
> >>
> >> My idea is to have a page for each emulator: qemu-system-ppc, qemu-system-i386,...
> >>
> >> I'm thinking icons and logos for operating systems could be on the
> >> emulator's page that can run that emulator. Maybe a few links to HD
> >> image files of preinstalled operating systems would help the user too.
> >
> > Using official icons/logos from various OS vendors/products is likely to
> > stumble into trademark usage restrictions/problems, whereby you need to
> > get permission for usage from the trademark holder. As such it is best
> > to avoid using any logos unless they're clearly under a trademark rule
> > that allows us to use them.
>
> So what you are saying is we can't display a Windows logo or an Apple logo?

Yes.

> I am sure I have seen plenty of websites with these logos displayed.

Some sites will have permission to use them in certain scenarios, but
many/most sites are likely just violating trademarks.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-20 13:57     ` Programmingkid
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-10-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel, Paolo Bonzini

@ 2016-10-20 12:56     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

@ 2016-10-20  8:30   ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2016-10-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel, Paolo Bonzini

@ 2016-10-20  2:05     ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2016-10-20  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On Wed, 10/19 22:46, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Having an official binary installer for people who are not
> > comfortable with building QEMU would be a nice feature to have.
>
> As usual, this needs volunteers.  Windows has Stefan.

For the rest of those, distro way to install (apt, dnf, brew...) would be good
enough I think.

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
@ 2016-10-19 20:46   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-10-19 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 19/10/2016 21:54, Programmingkid wrote:
> I really like the homepage you made. It looks really good. Reminds me
> of ReactOS's site.
>
> My idea is to have a page for each emulator: qemu-system-ppc,
> qemu-system-i386,...

I think this is more of a wiki thing.  The website shouln't become much
bigger than it is now, also because it's harder to maintain than a wiki
(more curated, with graphics etc.).

However, having a gallery of screenshots would certainly fit in the
website's scope.  We will have a git repository and accept patches for
the website too!

> I'm thinking icons and logos for operating systems could be on the
> emulator's page that can run that emulator. Maybe a few links to HD
> image files of preinstalled operating systems would help the user
> too.

Yes, I had a lot of feedback from Reddit and I'll implement it ASAP
(https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/589nxh/hi_rlinux_would_you_review_my_attempt_at_a_new/).

       [not found] <mailman.11411.1476878784.22740.qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
@ 2016-10-19 19:54 ` Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-10-19 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)