* basic bitbake commands to create an SDK?
@ 2016-10-22 16:05 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-10-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

  i'm about to dive into SDKs seriously for the first time, so a
shamefully dumb question to make sure i'm starting with the correct
understanding.

  starting with up-to-date OE master branch, i selected

MACHINE=mpc8315e-rdb

now, as i see it, i can create just the SDK with either of:

$ bitbake meta-toolchain
$ bitbake -s populate_sdk core-image-minimal

(in that second command, i'm assuming the choice of image is
irrelevant, i just always use core-image-minimal out of habit.)

  i'm assuming those commands are entirely equivalent in terms f
generating the SDK, given that meta-toolchain.bb consists solely of:

  SUMMARY = "Meta package for building a installable toolchain"
  LICENSE = "MIT"

  PR = "r7"

  LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://${COREBASE}/LICENSE;md5=4d92cd373abda3937c2bc47fbc49d690 \
file://${COREBASE}/meta/COPYING.MIT;md5=3da9cfbcb788c80a0384361b4de20420"

  inherit populate_sdk

so the more efficient of those commands would be just

$ bitbake meta-toolchain

  also, i did notice the generated host.manifest and target.manifest
files created along with the SDK -- am i correct in assuming those
files represent, respectively, the TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK and
TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK values?

  anyway, as long as i'm starting with the right info, pretty sure i
can take it from there, accompanied by the SDK manual:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.2/sdk-manual/sdk-manual.html

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: basic bitbake commands to create an SDK?
@ 2016-10-22 16:37 ` Khem Raj
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-10-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 9:05 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>

>  i'm about to dive into SDKs seriously for the first time, so a
> shamefully dumb question to make sure i'm starting with the correct
> understanding.
>
>  starting with up-to-date OE master branch, i selected
>
> MACHINE=mpc8315e-rdb
>
> now, as i see it, i can create just the SDK with either of:
>
> $ bitbake meta-toolchain
> $ bitbake -s populate_sdk core-image-minimal
>
> (in that second command, i'm assuming the choice of image is
> irrelevant, i just always use core-image-minimal out of habit.)
>
>  i'm assuming those commands are entirely equivalent in terms f
> generating the SDK, given that meta-toolchain.bb consists solely of:
>
>  SUMMARY = "Meta package for building a installable toolchain"
>  LICENSE = "MIT"
>
>  PR = "r7"
>
>  LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://${COREBASE}/LICENSE;md5=4d92cd373abda3937c2bc47fbc49d690 \
> file://${COREBASE}/meta/COPYING.MIT;md5=3da9cfbcb788c80a0384361b4de20420"
>
>  inherit populate_sdk
>
> so the more efficient of those commands would be just
>
> $ bitbake meta-toolchain
>
>  also, i did notice the generated host.manifest and target.manifest
> files created along with the SDK -- am i correct in assuming those
> files represent, respectively, the TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK and
> TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK values?
>
>  anyway, as long as i'm starting with the right info, pretty sure i
> can take it from there, accompanied by the SDK manual:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.2/sdk-manual/sdk-manual.html

generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image specific
SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it will include the
needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given image automatically
it can be any image

I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using -cpopulate_sdk_ext
see

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible_SDK

Thanks
-Khem

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: basic bitbake commands to create an SDK?
@ 2016-10-22 16:53   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-10-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:

> generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> image automatically it can be any image

  ah, good to know, i was starting to get that impression from the
readings. (is there any mention in the docs that meta-toolchain is
deprecated? if that's the correct word.)

> I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using
> -cpopulate_sdk_ext see
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible_SDK

  i was just perusing the testsdk.bbclass file, where i read at the
top:

  # testsdk.bbclass enables testing for SDK and Extensible SDK
  #
  # For run SDK tests you need to do,
  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk
  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdk
  #
  # For run eSDK tests you need to do,
  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk_ext
  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdkext

does that testing actually require the core-image-sato image? that's
certainly what those comments seem to suggest.

@ 2016-10-22 16:55     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-10-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 9:53 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
>
>> generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
>> specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
>> will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
>> image automatically it can be any image
>
>  ah, good to know, i was starting to get that impression from the
> readings. (is there any mention in the docs that meta-toolchain is
> deprecated? if that's the correct word.)
>
>> I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using
>> -cpopulate_sdk_ext see
>>
>> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible_SDK
>
>  i was just perusing the testsdk.bbclass file, where i read at the
> top:
>
>  # testsdk.bbclass enables testing for SDK and Extensible SDK
>  #
>  # For run SDK tests you need to do,
>  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk
>  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdk
>  #
>  # For run eSDK tests you need to do,
>  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk_ext
>  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdkext
>
> does that testing actually require the core-image-sato image? that's
> certainly what those comments seem to suggest.

it should work with any image.

@ 2016-10-22 17:03       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-10-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Oct 22, 2016, at 9:53 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
> >
> >> generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> >> specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> >> will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> >> image automatically it can be any image
> >
> >  ah, good to know, i was starting to get that impression from the
> > readings. (is there any mention in the docs that meta-toolchain is
> > deprecated? if that's the correct word.)
> >
> >> I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using
> >> -cpopulate_sdk_ext see
> >>
> >> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible_SDK
> >
> >  i was just perusing the testsdk.bbclass file, where i read at the
> > top:
> >
> >  # testsdk.bbclass enables testing for SDK and Extensible SDK
> >  #
> >  # For run SDK tests you need to do,
> >  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk
> >  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdk
> >  #
> >  # For run eSDK tests you need to do,
> >  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c populate_sdk_ext
> >  # - bitbake core-image-sato -c testsdkext
> >
> > does that testing actually require the core-image-sato image? that's
> > certainly what those comments seem to suggest.
>
> it should work with any image.

  i suspected as much ... i'll send in a patch that changes that image
name to the more generic <image-name>.

@ 2016-10-22 17:24   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-10-22 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:

> generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> image automatically it can be any image

  yet another dumb question while my build is cranking away ... am i
correct in assuming that i can generate the SDKs for multiple images
(same architecture of course) in the same build directory, and the
resulting generated artifacts will be distinguishable? that is, they
won't step on each other?

@ 2016-10-24  9:51   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-10-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:

... snip ...

> I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using
> -cpopulate_sdk_ext see
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible_SDK

  just reading up on eSDKs now, am i correct in assuming that if i
have the time and space to build an eSDK, there is no downside
compared to building a standard SDK? as in, i don't lose anything from
the standard SDK, i just get a richer feature set, etc.

@ 2016-10-25  1:01     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-10-25  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 13:24:58 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
> > generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> > specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> > will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> > image automatically it can be any image
>
>   yet another dumb question while my build is cranking away ... am i
> correct in assuming that i can generate the SDKs for multiple images
> (same architecture of course) in the same build directory, and the
> resulting generated artifacts will be distinguishable? that is, they
> won't step on each other?

Yes, that will work just fine.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: basic bitbake commands to create an SDK?
@ 2016-10-25  2:18     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-10-25  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 05:51:16 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
> > I would recommend to try using eSDK, which can be generated using
> > -cpopulate_sdk_ext see
> >
> > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Application_Development_with_Extensible
> > _SDK
>   just reading up on eSDKs now, am i correct in assuming that if i
> have the time and space to build an eSDK, there is no downside
> compared to building a standard SDK? as in, i don't lose anything from
> the standard SDK, i just get a richer feature set, etc.

Mostly correct, especially for master/morty where we sorted out the lack of
gdb and a few scripts required to support the Eclipse plugin. There are
differences though - please see the introduction of the latest SDK manual [1]
for a comparison chart.

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/sdk-manual/sdk-manual.html#sdk-manual-intro

--

@ 2016-10-25 18:29     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2016-10-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 12:53:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
>
> > generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> > specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> > will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> > image automatically it can be any image
>
>   ah, good to know, i was starting to get that impression from the
> readings. (is there any mention in the docs that meta-toolchain is
> deprecated? if that's the correct word.)

It's not really depricated! It's still useful in cases when you need a
standalone toolchain that is not based on any specific image recipe.
It's prone to errors and more complicated for beginners, hence the new "-c
populate_sdk" method is recommended by default, unless you know what you
are doing...