* Test Xen 4.8 RC4  SUCCESS 26.10.16
@ 2016-10-26 18:47 Juergen Schinker
From: Juergen Schinker @ 2016-10-26 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

* Hardware:
 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz
 Sandisk SSD
 32G Ram
* Software:

Debian Stretch/testing is dom0

* Guest operating systems:

Guests Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Debian Stretch/Sid

Ubuntu 16.10 yakity yak with latest 4.8 kernel works

* Functionality tested:
xl
creating booting
pygrub
credit2

* Comments:

I can't shut down cleanly because of stupid guests and the xenstored.pid keeps stopping the start of xenstored

root@xen:/etc/xen# xl info
host                   : xen
release                : 4.7.0-1-amd64
version                : #1 SMP Debian 4.7.8-1 (2016-10-19)
machine                : x86_64
nr_cpus                : 4
max_cpu_id             : 3
nr_nodes               : 1
cores_per_socket       : 2
threads_per_core       : 2
cpu_mhz                : 2312
hw_caps                : b7ebfbff:77bae3ff:28100800:00000001:00000001:00000281:00000000:00000100
virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
total_memory           : 32711
free_memory            : 0
sharing_freed_memory   : 0
sharing_used_memory    : 0
outstanding_claims     : 0
free_cpus              : 0
xen_major              : 4
xen_minor              : 8
xen_extra              : .0-rc
xen_version            : 4.8.0-rc
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xen_scheduler          : credit2
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset          : Wed Oct 26 12:06:17 2016 +0100 git:0d250b6
xen_commandline        : placeholder sched=credit2 iommu=1
cc_compiler            : gcc (Debian 6.2.0-6) 6.2.0 20161010
cc_compile_by          : root
cc_compile_domain      :
cc_compile_date        : Wed Oct 26 12:55:28 BST 2016
build_id               : b8fcc0bce9447f4afd630bf0c7f72a6134413ac8
xend_config_format     : 4

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4  SUCCESS 26.10.16
@ 2016-10-27  9:53 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-10-27  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Schinker; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 07:47:59PM +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:
> * Hardware:
>  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz
>  Sandisk SSD
>  32G Ram
> * Software:
>
> Debian Stretch/testing is dom0
>
> * Guest operating systems:
>
> Guests Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Debian Stretch/Sid
>
> Ubuntu 16.10 yakity yak with latest 4.8 kernel works
>
> * Functionality tested:
> xl
> creating booting
> pygrub
> credit2
>
> * Comments:
>

> I can't shut down cleanly because of stupid guests and the xenstored.pid keeps stopping the start of xenstored

For the second part, xenstored.pid normally would be stored under
/var/run, which should be cleared whenever the system is booted [0].

Is it possible that your have other init machinery that tries to start
xenstored?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA

Wei.

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4  SUCCESS 26.10.16
@ 2016-10-27 13:58 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-10-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Schinker, Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 19:47 +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:
> * Hardware:
>  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz
>  Sandisk SSD
>  32G Ram
> * Software:
>
> Debian Stretch/testing is dom0
>
> * Guest operating systems:
>
> Guests Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Debian Stretch/Sid
>
> Ubuntu 16.10 yakity yak with latest 4.8 kernel works
>
> * Functionality tested:
> xl
> creating booting
> pygrub
> credit2
>
> * Comments:
>

> I can't shut down cleanly because of stupid guests and the
> xenstored.pid keeps stopping the start of xenstored

So, what's the issue? I've seen your other thread, but it ends up with
you pasting a message that suggests xenstored is working fine, and in
general I could not figure out what the problem is from there.

FYI, for may day-to-day testing of my development work on Xen, I use a
Debian Sid host.

I configure Xen with this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-systemd --disable-qemu-traditional --disable-stubdom --with-xenstored=oxenstored

I create a .deb package with `make debball' (because I build on a
different machine), ship it and install it on the test box.

This is what systemd sees:

root@Zhaman:~# systemctl |grep xen
  sys-devices-virtual-net-xenbr0.device                                                    loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/net/xenbr0
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-xenbr0.device                                                  loaded active plugged   /sys/subsystem/net/devices/xenbr0
  proc-xen.mount                                                                           loaded active mounted   Mount /proc/xen files
  var-lib-xenstored.mount                                                                  loaded active mounted   mount xenstore file system
  xen-init-dom0.service                                                                    loaded active exited    xen-init-dom0, initialise Dom0 configuration (xenstore nodes, JSON configuration stub)
  xen-qemu-dom0-disk-backend.service                                                       loaded active running   qemu for xen dom0 disk backend
  xen-watchdog.service                                                                     loaded active running   Xen-watchdog - run xen watchdog daemon
  xenconsoled.service                                                                      loaded active running   Xenconsoled - handles logging from guest consoles and hypervisor
  xendomains.service                                                                       loaded active exited    Xendomains - start and stop guests on boot and shutdown
  xenstored.service                                                                        loaded active exited    The Xen xenstore

About xenstored specifically:

root@Zhaman:~# systemctl status xenstored
● xenstored.service - The Xen xenstore
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/local/lib/systemd/system/xenstored.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2016-10-27 15:12:21 CEST; 43min ago
 Main PID: 1060 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/xenstored.service
           └─1092 /usr/local/sbin/oxenstored --pid-file /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid

Oct 27 15:12:21 Zhaman systemd[1]: Starting The Xen xenstore...
Oct 27 15:12:21 Zhaman systemd[1]: Started The Xen xenstore.
Oct 27 15:12:21 Zhaman launch-xenstore[1060]: Starting /usr/local/sbin/oxenstored...

And:

root@Zhaman:~# ps aux | grep xenstore
root      1092  0.0  0.5  56828  5256 ?        S    15:12   0:00 /usr/local/sbin/oxenstored --pid-file /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
root      3655  0.0  0.1  12772   980 pts/0    S+   15:56   0:00 grep xenstore
root@Zhaman:~# ls -l /var/run/xen/
total 12
-rw------- 1 root root 5 Oct 27 15:12 qemu-dom0.pid
-rw------- 1 root root 5 Oct 27 15:12 xenconsoled.pid
-rw-r----- 1 root root 5 Oct 27 15:12 xenstored.pid

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4  not stable 27.10.16
@ 2016-10-27 22:01   ` Juergen Schinker
From: Juergen Schinker @ 2016-10-27 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

----- On 27 Oct, 2016, at 09:53, Wei Liu wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

> For the second part, xenstored.pid normally would be stored under
> /var/run, which should be cleared whenever the system is booted [0].

I know but the /var/run/xenstored.pid  stays but anyway

RC4 is not so stable - I have random freezes

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4  not stable 27.10.16
@ 2016-10-28  9:29     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-10-28  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Schinker; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:01:50PM +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> ----- On 27 Oct, 2016, at 09:53, Wei Liu wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>
> > For the second part, xenstored.pid normally would be stored under
> > /var/run, which should be cleared whenever the system is booted [0].
>
> I know but the /var/run/xenstored.pid  stays but anyway

Please check the content of that file and see if there is really such
process in your system.

It is possible that some other init scripts are interfering with
systemd. I don't know.

> RC4 is not so stable - I have random freezes

Please try to extract guest / hypervisor log that contains text of
interest.

Wei.

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4 not stable 27.10.16
@ 2016-10-28 13:07       ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2016-10-28 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Juergen Schinker; +Cc: xen-devel

On 10/28/2016 05:29 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:01:50PM +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:
>>
>> ----- On 27 Oct, 2016, at 09:53, Wei Liu wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>>
>>> For the second part, xenstored.pid normally would be stored under
>>> /var/run, which should be cleared whenever the system is booted [0].
>> I know but the /var/run/xenstored.pid  stays but anyway
>>
> Please check the content of that file and see if there is really such
> process in your system.
>
> It is possible that some other init scripts are interfering with
> systemd. I don't know.

I believe at least on some distros /var/run should be soft-linked to
/run, otherwise whoever cleans up those directories (the command name
escapes me right now) will only remove files from /run and leave
/var/run (and therefore /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid) untouched.

And because xencommons checks for existence of this this file before
starting xenstored the latter never starts.

-boris

@ 2016-10-28 15:01         ` Juergen Schinker
From: Juergen Schinker @ 2016-10-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Ostrovsky, xen-devel; +Cc: Wei Liu

----- On 28 Oct, 2016, at 13:07, Boris Ostrovsky boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com wrote:

> I believe at least on some distros /var/run should be soft-linked to
> /run, otherwise whoever cleans up those directories (the command name
> escapes me right now) will only remove files from /run and leave
> /var/run (and therefore /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid) untouched.
>
> And because xencommons checks for existence of this this file before
> starting xenstored the latter never starts.
>
> -boris

root@xen:~# ls -la /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
-rw-r----- 1 root root 6 Oct 28 15:15 /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid

   33 ?        00:00:00 xenwatch
   34 ?        00:00:00 xenbus
   45 ?        00:00:00 xenbus_frontend
  785 ?        00:00:00 xen_pciback_wor
 1137 ?        00:00:00 xenwatchdogd
 1169 ?        00:00:00 xen-init-dom0
 1175 ?        00:00:00 xenconsoled

Thats exactly what I'm sayin , maybe we need a more intelligent check to see if xenstored is running

not just a simple pid check

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4 not stable 27.10.16
@ 2016-10-28 15:30           ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-10-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Schinker; +Cc: Boris Ostrovsky, Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 04:01:54PM +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> ----- On 28 Oct, 2016, at 13:07, Boris Ostrovsky boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com wrote:
>
> > I believe at least on some distros /var/run should be soft-linked to
> > /run, otherwise whoever cleans up those directories (the command name
> > escapes me right now) will only remove files from /run and leave
> > /var/run (and therefore /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid) untouched.
> >
> > And because xencommons checks for existence of this this file before
> > starting xenstored the latter never starts.
> >
> > -boris
>
> root@xen:~# ls -la /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
> -rw-r----- 1 root root 6 Oct 28 15:15 /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
>

>    33 ?        00:00:00 xenwatch
>    34 ?        00:00:00 xenbus
>    45 ?        00:00:00 xenbus_frontend
>   785 ?        00:00:00 xen_pciback_wor
>  1137 ?        00:00:00 xenwatchdogd
>  1169 ?        00:00:00 xen-init-dom0
>  1175 ?        00:00:00 xenconsoled
>
> Thats exactly what I'm sayin , maybe we need a more intelligent check to see if xenstored is running
>
> not just a simple pid check

But ... the pid check is the usual way of checking if a daemon is
active.

I think a bit work is required to work out why xenstored.pid stays
across reboot -- it is not supposed to work like that on a FHS compliant
system.

And how do other daemons work on your test host, presumably they will
see stale pid files as well.  Are there any other pid files under
/var/run? If so, do the corresponding daemon run properly?

Wei.

* Re: Test Xen 4.8 RC4 not stable 27.10.16
@ 2016-10-28 16:04             ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2016-10-28 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Juergen Schinker; +Cc: xen-devel

On 10/28/2016 11:30 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 04:01:54PM +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:
>>
>> ----- On 28 Oct, 2016, at 13:07, Boris Ostrovsky boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com wrote:
>>
>>> I believe at least on some distros /var/run should be soft-linked to
>>> /run, otherwise whoever cleans up those directories (the command name
>>> escapes me right now) will only remove files from /run and leave
>>> /var/run (and therefore /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid) untouched.
>>>
>>> And because xencommons checks for existence of this this file before
>>> starting xenstored the latter never starts.
>>>
>>> -boris
>> root@xen:~# ls -la /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
>> -rw-r----- 1 root root 6 Oct 28 15:15 /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
>>

>>    33 ?        00:00:00 xenwatch
>>    34 ?        00:00:00 xenbus
>>    45 ?        00:00:00 xenbus_frontend
>>   785 ?        00:00:00 xen_pciback_wor
>>  1137 ?        00:00:00 xenwatchdogd
>>  1169 ?        00:00:00 xen-init-dom0
>>  1175 ?        00:00:00 xenconsoled
>>
>> Thats exactly what I'm sayin , maybe we need a more intelligent check to see if xenstored is running
>>
>> not just a simple pid check
>>
> But ... the pid check is the usual way of checking if a daemon is
> active.
>
> I think a bit work is required to work out why xenstored.pid stays
> across reboot -- it is not supposed to work like that on a FHS compliant
> system.

I remember now: it's systemd-tmpfiles that creates and cleans up those
files. I think the way it works is it checks
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/var.conf for the rules. On my fedora24:

L /var/run - - - - ../run

Which IIUIC means that /var/run should be linked to ../run (i.e. /run)
during boot. Or something along these lines. Perhaps because when we
shut down xenstored.pid is still there and so the link cannot be made.

-boris

@ 2016-10-28 16:08               ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-10-28 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: Juergen Schinker, Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:04:29PM -0400, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 10/28/2016 11:30 AM, Wei Liu wrote:

> >> root@xen:~# ls -la /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
> >> -rw-r----- 1 root root 6 Oct 28 15:15 /var/run/xen/xenstored.pid
> >>

> >>    33 ?        00:00:00 xenwatch
> >>    34 ?        00:00:00 xenbus
> >>    45 ?        00:00:00 xenbus_frontend
> >>   785 ?        00:00:00 xen_pciback_wor
> >>  1137 ?        00:00:00 xenwatchdogd
> >>  1169 ?        00:00:00 xen-init-dom0
> >>  1175 ?        00:00:00 xenconsoled

And this ^

xenconsoled requires xenstored.service, so if xenstored is not available
xenconsoled wouldn't be started, I think.

xen-init-dom0 as well.

> >> Thats exactly what I'm sayin , maybe we need a more intelligent check to see if xenstored is running
> >>
> >> not just a simple pid check
> >>
> > But ... the pid check is the usual way of checking if a daemon is
> > active.
> >
> > I think a bit work is required to work out why xenstored.pid stays
> > across reboot -- it is not supposed to work like that on a FHS compliant
> > system.
>
> I remember now: it's systemd-tmpfiles that creates and cleans up those
> files. I think the way it works is it checks
> /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/var.conf for the rules. On my fedora24:
>
> L /var/run - - - - ../run
>
> Which IIUIC means that /var/run should be linked to ../run (i.e. /run)
> during boot. Or something along these lines. Perhaps because when we
> shut down xenstored.pid is still there and so the link cannot be made.

It's the same on my Debian Jessie box, but it works just fine, FWIW.

Wei.