* [U-Boot] Travis CI
@ 2016-11-30 19:47 york sun
From: york sun @ 2016-11-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Guys,

I noticed you have been improving .travis.yml. Can you share some
performance data when using it? I am still using Jenkins to verify my
branches for every commit. Due to the limitation of computing power, I
don't cover all targets. This has caused several "oops". Please share
your experience. Thanks.

York

* [U-Boot] Travis CI
@ 2016-11-30 21:35 ` Stephen Warren
       [not found]   ` <2e04617f-6b6b-00a0-9ee4-1e33615881c5@nxp.com>
From: Stephen Warren @ 2016-11-30 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/30/2016 12:47 PM, york sun wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I noticed you have been improving .travis.yml. Can you share some
> performance data when using it? I am still using Jenkins to verify my
> branches for every commit. Due to the limitation of computing power, I
> don't cover all targets. This has caused several "oops". Please share
> your experience. Thanks.

The Travis results are all public. For example, you can look at the URL
below to see the build for Tom's github clone of the main u-boot.git:

https://travis-ci.org/u-boot/u-boot

The last test run appears to have taken about 49 minutes total. IIRC Tom
mentioned 1-2 hours total in the past.

Travis uses github hooks to detect pushes, so I typically see it start
builds almost immediately after a push to an enabled branch.

* [U-Boot] Travis CI
@ 2016-11-30 21:43   ` york sun
       [not found]   ` <2e04617f-6b6b-00a0-9ee4-1e33615881c5@nxp.com>
From: york sun @ 2016-11-30 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/30/2016 01:35 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 12:47 PM, york sun wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I noticed you have been improving .travis.yml. Can you share some
>> performance data when using it? I am still using Jenkins to verify my
>> branches for every commit. Due to the limitation of computing power, I
>> don't cover all targets. This has caused several "oops". Please share
>> your experience. Thanks.
>
> The Travis results are all public. For example, you can look at the URL
> below to see the build for Tom's github clone of the main u-boot.git:
>
> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftravis-ci.org%2Fu-boot%2Fu-boot&data=01%7C01%7Cyork.sun%40nxp.com%7C09609202d44942fb21e908d41968d98b%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0&sdata=gD64O8j98pt1nZZW39YCPWd7NDM4OcctfJG8pjBGsNc%3D&reserved=0
>
> The last test run appears to have taken about 49 minutes total. IIRC Tom
> mentioned 1-2 hours total in the past.
>
> Travis uses github hooks to detect pushes, so I typically see it start
> builds almost immediately after a push to an enabled branch.

Stephen,

Thanks for the pointer. I am getting myself familiar with Travis CI. I
have been using Jenkins. Compiling 100 commits for powerpc (418 targets)
takes many hours to finish.

York

* [U-Boot] Travis CI
       [not found]   ` <2e04617f-6b6b-00a0-9ee4-1e33615881c5@nxp.com>
@ 2016-11-30 21:55     ` york sun
From: york sun @ 2016-11-30 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/30/2016 01:43 PM, york.sun at nxp.com wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 01:35 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> On 11/30/2016 12:47 PM, york sun wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I noticed you have been improving .travis.yml. Can you share some
>>> performance data when using it? I am still using Jenkins to verify my
>>> branches for every commit. Due to the limitation of computing power, I
>>> don't cover all targets. This has caused several "oops". Please share
>>> your experience. Thanks.
>>
>> The Travis results are all public. For example, you can look at the URL
>> below to see the build for Tom's github clone of the main u-boot.git:
>>
>> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftravis-ci.org%2Fu-boot%2Fu-boot&data=01%7C01%7Cyork.sun%40nxp.com%7C09609202d44942fb21e908d41968d98b%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0&sdata=gD64O8j98pt1nZZW39YCPWd7NDM4OcctfJG8pjBGsNc%3D&reserved=0
>>

>> The last test run appears to have taken about 49 minutes total. IIRC Tom
>> mentioned 1-2 hours total in the past.
>>
>> Travis uses github hooks to detect pushes, so I typically see it start
>> builds almost immediately after a push to an enabled branch.
>>

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I am getting myself familiar with Travis CI. I
> have been using Jenkins. Compiling 100 commits for powerpc (418 targets)
> takes many hours to finish.

I took a test run and found without the "-b", buildman only builds
current source tree, not for each commit. It is a good tool but maybe
this is not for my purpose.

York

* [U-Boot] Travis CI
@ 2016-12-01  0:39       ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-12-01  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:55:52PM +0000, york sun wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 01:43 PM, york.sun at nxp.com wrote:

> >> The Travis results are all public. For example, you can look at the URL
> >> below to see the build for Tom's github clone of the main u-boot.git:
> >>
> >> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftravis-ci.org%2Fu-boot%2Fu-boot&data=01%7C01%7Cyork.sun%40nxp.com%7C09609202d44942fb21e908d41968d98b%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0&sdata=gD64O8j98pt1nZZW39YCPWd7NDM4OcctfJG8pjBGsNc%3D&reserved=0
> >>

> >> The last test run appears to have taken about 49 minutes total. IIRC Tom
> >> mentioned 1-2 hours total in the past.

Note that the "elapsed time" can become quite wrong if you go to a
failed build, see that one of the sub-jobs failed for bad reasons (for
example, sometimes we get a failure with the ppa we use for qemu), and
restart just that part and it completes.  Most recently I see one took
around 2.5 hours as I've added in more build targets since I gave the
initial time.

That said, those 2.5 hours build just about every buildable target in
U-Boot, and run test.py via qemu for a few.  And it's totally free.  To
me it's a great "last test" before sending out a PR or a big series.  I
use it as part of my pre-pushing tests.

> >> Travis uses github hooks to detect pushes, so I typically see it start
> >> builds almost immediately after a push to an enabled branch.
> >>

> > Stephen,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. I am getting myself familiar with Travis CI. I
> > have been using Jenkins. Compiling 100 commits for powerpc (418 targets)
> > takes many hours to finish.
>
> I took a test run and found without the "-b", buildman only builds
> current source tree, not for each commit. It is a good tool but maybe
> this is not for my purpose.

Yes, this is not a tool for building every part of a series.  I still
use a different machine to build before/after for just about everything
and look at size changes for example.

--
Tom
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:55:52PM +0000, york sun wrote:

> Note that the "elapsed time" can become quite wrong if you go to a
> failed build, see that one of the sub-jobs failed for bad reasons (for
> example, sometimes we get a failure with the ppa we use for qemu), and
> restart just that part and it completes.  Most recently I see one took
> around 2.5 hours as I've added in more build targets since I gave the
> initial time.
>
> That said, those 2.5 hours build just about every buildable target in
> U-Boot, and run test.py via qemu for a few.  And it's totally free.  To
> me it's a great "last test" before sending out a PR or a big series.  I
> use it as part of my pre-pushing tests.

>>> Stephen,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the pointer. I am getting myself familiar with Travis CI. I
>>> have been using Jenkins. Compiling 100 commits for powerpc (418 targets)
>>> takes many hours to finish.
>>
>> I took a test run and found without the "-b", buildman only builds
>> current source tree, not for each commit. It is a good tool but maybe
>> this is not for my purpose.
>
> Yes, this is not a tool for building every part of a series.  I still
> use a different machine to build before/after for just about everything
> and look at size changes for example.

Thanks, Tom. I noticed Travis CI runs on low powered servers. It takes
quite long to finish everything. But as you said, it is good to compile
everything before pushing.

York