* Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-02 21:53 ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2016-12-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viro; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, gregkh, jsimmons, Drokin, Oleg

Al,
Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.

James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
up in Lustre?

Cheers, Andreas

* [lustre-devel] Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-02 21:53 ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2016-12-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viro; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, gregkh, jsimmons, Drokin, Oleg

Al,
Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.

James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
up in Lustre?

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-03  8:55   ` gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
From: gregkh @ 2016-12-03  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dilger, Andreas; +Cc: viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons, Drokin, Oleg

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 09:53:08PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> Al,
> Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
> move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.
>
> James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
> issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
> were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
> up in Lustre?

Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
time since I last looked...

If you feel you are ready for a "real" review, I'll be glad to go over
the code before the vfs people look at it, just let me know.  No need to
bother them if you still have basic things wrong that I can find...

thanks,

greg k-h

* [lustre-devel] Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-03  8:55   ` gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
From: gregkh at linuxfoundation.org @ 2016-12-03  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dilger, Andreas; +Cc: viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons, Drokin, Oleg

@ 2016-12-06 15:34     ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh; +Cc: Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons

On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:55 AM, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 09:53:08PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
>> Al,
>> Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
>> move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.
>>
>> James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
>> issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
>> were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
>> up in Lustre?
>
> Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
> resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
> passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
> time since I last looked...

While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.

I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this particular front.

> If you feel you are ready for a "real" review, I'll be glad to go over
> the code before the vfs people look at it, just let me know.  No need to
> bother them if you still have basic things wrong that I can find�

I think this would be beneficial at this stage.
Thanks.

Bye,
    Oleg

From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh; +Cc: Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons

@ 2016-12-06 16:15       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-12-06 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 10:34:03AM -0500, Oleg Drokin wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:55 AM, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 09:53:08PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> >> Al,
> >> Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
> >> move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.
> >>
> >> James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
> >> issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
> >> were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
> >> up in Lustre?
> >
> > Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
> > resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
> > passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
> > time since I last looked...
>
> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.
>
> I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this particular front.
>
> > If you feel you are ready for a "real" review, I'll be glad to go over
> > the code before the vfs people look at it, just let me know.  No need to
> > bother them if you still have basic things wrong that I can find…
>
> I think this would be beneficial at this stage.

I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
all of them up first?

thanks,

greg k-h

From: Greg KH @ 2016-12-06 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel, jsimmons

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 10:34:03AM -0500, Oleg Drokin wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:55 AM, gregkh at linuxfoundation.org wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 09:53:08PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> >> Al,
> >> Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
> >> move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.
> >>
> >> James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
> >> issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
> >> were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
> >> up in Lustre?
> >
> > Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
> > resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
> > passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
> > time since I last looked...
>
> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.
>
> I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this particular front.
>
> > If you feel you are ready for a "real" review, I'll be glad to go over
> > the code before the vfs people look at it, just let me know.  No need to
> > bother them if you still have basic things wrong that I can find?
>
> I think this would be beneficial at this stage.

I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
all of them up first?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [lustre-devel] Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-06 17:50         ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, James Simmons, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 10:34:03AM -0500, Oleg Drokin wrote:

>>> Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
>>> resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
>>> passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
>>> time since I last looked...
>>
>> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
>> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.
>>
>> I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this particular front.
>>
>>> If you feel you are ready for a "real" review, I'll be glad to go over
>>> the code before the vfs people look at it, just let me know.  No need to
>>> bother them if you still have basic things wrong that I can find�
>>
>> I think this would be beneficial at this stage.
>
> I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
> all of them up first?

There are 16 errors,
of them:
8 are false positives in  drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/hash.c
1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/tracefile.h
1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h
1 I think false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h (PLDLMRES)
2 false positives in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_user.h

an error I don't really understand, what does it want us to do here?
ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
#196951: FILE: drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/mdc/mdc_request.c:1063:
+                       for (end_dirent = ent; ent;
+                            end_dirent = ent, ent = lu_dirent_next(ent));

leaving 2 real ones, one missing space in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/o2iblnd/o2iblnd_cb.c
and 1 spaces instead of tabs in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/socklnd/socklnd.h

I'll have patches shortly for these.

On the warning front, we have 879 line over 80 characters, but a bunch
of those are due to long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.
71 Prefer 'unsigned int' to bare use of 'unsigned' that is a relatively new one
22 new typedefs (all in lnet, I drove out all the lustre ones, so I guess I can tackle these too).
a bunch of comment style problems
a few "function definition argument � should also have an identifier name" that
seems to be a new one too, I don't remember seeing this before.

And a bunch of rarer ones for the total of 1243 (823 in just Lustre).
Multiple classes of them are actually not easily fixable or false positives too.
Do you really want all of these fixed too somehow?

From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, James Simmons, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

@ 2016-12-06 18:05           ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-12-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: linux-fsdevel, James Simmons, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 12:50:08PM -0500, Oleg Drokin wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> >> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
> >> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.
> >>
> >> I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this particular front.

> >> I think this would be beneficial at this stage.
> >
> > I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
> > all of them up first?
> >

> There are 16 errors,
> of them:
> 8 are false positives in  drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/hash.c
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/tracefile.h
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h
> 1 I think false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h (PLDLMRES)
> 2 false positives in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_user.h
>
> an error I don't really understand, what does it want us to do here?
> ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
> #196951: FILE: drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/mdc/mdc_request.c:1063:
> +                       for (end_dirent = ent; ent;
> +                            end_dirent = ent, ent = lu_dirent_next(ent));

That's odd, I think the perl script just got confused.

> leaving 2 real ones, one missing space in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/o2iblnd/o2iblnd_cb.c
> and 1 spaces instead of tabs in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/socklnd/socklnd.h
>
> I'll have patches shortly for these.
>
> On the warning front, we have 879 line over 80 characters, but a bunch
> of those are due to long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.

Change to use a "sane" logging function and then all of those will go
away.  You all should do that anyway, the macro mess you have now is
looney.

> 71 Prefer 'unsigned int' to bare use of 'unsigned' that is a relatively new one
> 22 new typedefs (all in lnet, I drove out all the lustre ones, so I guess I can tackle these too).
> a bunch of comment style problems
> a few "function definition argument … should also have an identifier name" that
> seems to be a new one too, I don't remember seeing this before.
>
> And a bunch of rarer ones for the total of 1243 (823 in just Lustre).
> Multiple classes of them are actually not easily fixable or false positives too.
> Do you really want all of these fixed too somehow?

The real ones, yes.  Why wouldn't you?

And work on that logging mess if at all possible as well :)

thanks,

greg k-h

From: Greg KH @ 2016-12-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: linux-fsdevel, James Simmons, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

@ 2016-12-06 18:05           ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2016-12-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List,
	James Simmons

On Dec 6, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Oleg Drokin <oleg.drokin@intel.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:
>> I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
>> all of them up first?
>
> There are 16 errors,
> of them:
> 8 are false positives in  drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/hash.c
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/tracefile.h
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h
> 1 I think false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h (PLDLMRES)
> 2 false positives in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_user.h
>
> an error I don't really understand, what does it want us to do here?
> ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
> #196951: FILE: drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/mdc/mdc_request.c:1063:
> +                       for (end_dirent = ent; ent;
> +                            end_dirent = ent, ent = lu_dirent_next(ent));
>
> leaving 2 real ones, one missing space in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/o2iblnd/o2iblnd_cb.c
> and 1 spaces instead of tabs in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/klnds/socklnd/socklnd.h
>
> I'll have patches shortly for these.
>
> On the warning front, we have 879 line over 80 characters, but a bunch
> of those are due to long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.
> 71 Prefer 'unsigned int' to bare use of 'unsigned' that is a relatively new one
> 22 new typedefs (all in lnet, I drove out all the lustre ones, so I guess I can tackle these too).

I think James already has a patch series getting rid of typedefs from LNet?

> a bunch of comment style problems
> a few "function definition argument … should also have an identifier name" that
> seems to be a new one too, I don't remember seeing this before.
>
> And a bunch of rarer ones for the total of 1243 (823 in just Lustre).
> Multiple classes of them are actually not easily fixable or false positives too.
> Do you really want all of these fixed too somehow?

Cheers, Andreas

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

From: Andreas Dilger @ 2016-12-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List,

From: Mike Marshall @ 2016-12-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: linux-fsdevel, Greg KH,
	lustre-devel-aLEFhgZF4x6X6Mz3xDxJMA@public.gmane.org List,
	James Simmons

> long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.

I split numerous Orangefs ones at substitution characters, which
didn't break grepability. No one complained, and sure made
stuff look nicer to me. You might be able to do that some places?

-Mike

From: Mike Marshall @ 2016-12-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: linux-fsdevel, Greg KH,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Oleg Drokin <oleg.drokin@intel.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> being
> >>
> >> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
> >> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.
> >>
> >> I just did a brief check and I don't see anything glaring on this
> particular front.

> >> I think this would be beneficial at this stage.
> >
> > I see loads of checkpatch.pl warnings and a few errors, how about fixing
> > all of them up first?
> >

> There are 16 errors,
> of them:
> 8 are false positives in  drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/hash.c
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/libcfs/tracefile.h
> 1 false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/
> include/lustre/lustre_idl.h
> 1 I think false positive in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_idl.h
> (PLDLMRES)
> 2 false positives in drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/
> include/lustre/lustre_user.h
>
> an error I don't really understand, what does it want us to do here?
> ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
> #196951: FILE: drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/mdc/mdc_request.c:1063:
> +                       for (end_dirent = ent; ent;
> +                            end_dirent = ent, ent = lu_dirent_next(ent));
>
> leaving 2 real ones, one missing space in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/
> klnds/o2iblnd/o2iblnd_cb.c
> and 1 spaces instead of tabs in drivers/staging/lustre/lnet/
> klnds/socklnd/socklnd.h
>
> I'll have patches shortly for these.
>
> On the warning front, we have 879 line over 80 characters, but a bunch
> of those are due to long error messages that we cannot split into a
> multiline thing anyway.
> 71 Prefer 'unsigned int' to bare use of 'unsigned' that is a relatively
> new one
> 22 new typedefs (all in lnet, I drove out all the lustre ones, so I guess
> I can tackle these too).
> a bunch of comment style problems
> a few "function definition argument ? should also have an identifier name"
> that
> seems to be a new one too, I don't remember seeing this before.
>
> And a bunch of rarer ones for the total of 1243 (823 in just Lustre).
> Multiple classes of them are actually not easily fixable or false
> positives too.
> Do you really want all of these fixed too somehow?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: [lustre-devel] Remaining work needed for moving Lustre out of staging
@ 2016-12-06 18:14               ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Marshall
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, James Simmons,
	lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

On Dec 6, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Mike Marshall wrote:

> > long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.
>
> I split numerous Orangefs ones at substitution characters, which
> didn't break grepability. No one complained, and sure made
> stuff look nicer to me. You might be able to do that some places?

Checkpatch still complains about this I believe.

From: Oleg Drokin @ 2016-12-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Marshall
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, James Simmons,

@ 2016-12-06 18:52                 ` Mike Marshall
From: Mike Marshall @ 2016-12-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, James Simmons,
	lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

> Checkpatch still complains about this I believe.

Yes. But if you leave the line longer than 80 characters,
it complains about that too. I hoped that since the point
was not to break grepability, it was better to make the
code look nicer. This is the first chance I've had to
say what I'd been doing when numerous senior
developers were looking, if my method is worse
than leaving the long lines, I'll quit doing it...

-Mike

From: Mike Marshall @ 2016-12-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin
  Cc: Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, James Simmons,

@ 2016-12-07 19:05       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2016-12-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: gregkh, Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:55 AM, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 09:53:08PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> >> Al,
> >> Greg recently raised the issue of what still needs to be done to
> >> move the Lustre code out of staging/ and into the fs/ tree.
> >>
> >> James has been doing a great job of cleaning up various checkpatch
> >> issues and keeping the code updated with the latest fixes, but we
> >> were wondering what you were aware of that needed to be cleaned
> >> up in Lustre?
> >
> > Is the whole "mixing kernel structures in userspace structures" all
> > resolved now?  For some reason I thought that you had kernel locks being
> > passed to userspace and then back into the kernel, but it's been a long
> > time since I last looked...
>
> While we certainly had our share of mixing user/kernelspace structures,
> I don't think we ever passed anything with locks around back and forth.

I think he means the use of linux list structures as a parameter for the
ioctls in LNet selftest. The work is being done under:

https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-8915

No patch ready just yet.

From: James Simmons @ 2016-12-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: gregkh, Dilger, Andreas, viro, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel

@ 2016-12-07 19:57             ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2016-12-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger
  Cc: Oleg Drokin, Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List

> > On the warning front, we have 879 line over 80 characters, but a bunch
> > of those are due to long error messages that we cannot split into a multiline thing anyway.
> > 71 Prefer 'unsigned int' to bare use of 'unsigned' that is a relatively new one
> > 22 new typedefs (all in lnet, I drove out all the lustre ones, so I guess I can tackle these too).
>
> I think James already has a patch series getting rid of typedefs from LNet?

I created a big patch some time ago but I need to break it into smaller
pieces. We should sync our tools to be able to build against these changes
as well. I pushed patches to change our tools.

From: James Simmons @ 2016-12-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger
  Cc: Oleg Drokin, Greg KH, linux-fsdevel, lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org List