* how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-14 22:22 Sage Weil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-14 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, sepia

Please read carefully if you use teuthology:

ceph-qa-suite.git is no more.  All tests are now in qa/tasks, qa/suite,
and so on.  The directory structure is the same (but now prefixed with
qa/) and the git history is intact.

If you have any pull requests outstanding against ceph-qa-suite, you'll
need to redo them as a pull-request against ceph.git.

Jenkins + shaman will build packages for both ceph.git and ceph-ci.git.

You should only push official branches (master, kraken, jewel, etc.) to
ceph.git.

You should only push a branch to ceph-ci.git if you need packages built.
I suggest

  git remote add ci git@github.com:ceph/ceph-ci

Teuthology now defaults to https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git instead of
ceph.git.

To schedule a test against something in ceph-ci.git,

  teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-foo

To schedule against something in ceph.git (e.g., master),

  teuthology-suite -s rados -c master --ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git

In both of these cases, the tests (tasks/ and suite/ yamls) are taken from
the same repo and branch that we used to resolve your branch name to a
sha1 (shaman builds are identified by sha1).

To schedule a test against a suite branch that is different from the ceph
branch you can use --suite-repo and --suite-branch.  For example,

  teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-mybuild \
	--suite-repo https://github.com/liewegas/ceph.git \
	--suite-branch wip-my-updated-test-case

This is not new, but if you want teuthology-suite to find the most recent
build for a branch (useful when master is moving quickly but you just need
a recent build) you can use -n <max # commits to backtrack>:

  teuthology-suite -s rados -c master \
	--ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git \
	-n 10

sage

* Re: how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-14 22:27 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, sepia

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> Please read carefully if you use teuthology:
>
> ceph-qa-suite.git is no more.  All tests are now in qa/tasks, qa/suite,
                                                     ^ ceph.git
> and so on.  The directory structure is the same (but now prefixed with
> qa/) and the git history is intact.

* Re: [sepia] how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-15 14:51 ` Mykola Golub
From: Mykola Golub @ 2016-12-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, sepia

Hi, Sage,

It looks like we still need to push testing branches to ceph.git for
things like below?

qa/workunits/rbd/test_librbd_python.sh:

wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py" || \
    wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=ref/heads/$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py"

Do we have some env variable (CEPH_REPO?) we could use simirlaly to
CEPH_REF here?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:22:31PM +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> Please read carefully if you use teuthology:
>
> ceph-qa-suite.git is no more.  All tests are now in qa/tasks, qa/suite,
> and so on.  The directory structure is the same (but now prefixed with
> qa/) and the git history is intact.
>
> If you have any pull requests outstanding against ceph-qa-suite, you'll
> need to redo them as a pull-request against ceph.git.
>
> Jenkins + shaman will build packages for both ceph.git and ceph-ci.git.
>
> You should only push official branches (master, kraken, jewel, etc.) to
> ceph.git.
>
> You should only push a branch to ceph-ci.git if you need packages built.
> I suggest
>
>   git remote add ci git@github.com:ceph/ceph-ci
>
> Teuthology now defaults to https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git instead of
> ceph.git.
>
> To schedule a test against something in ceph-ci.git,
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-foo
>
> To schedule against something in ceph.git (e.g., master),
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c master --ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git
>
> In both of these cases, the tests (tasks/ and suite/ yamls) are taken from
> the same repo and branch that we used to resolve your branch name to a
> sha1 (shaman builds are identified by sha1).
>
> To schedule a test against a suite branch that is different from the ceph
> branch you can use --suite-repo and --suite-branch.  For example,
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-mybuild \
> 	--suite-repo https://github.com/liewegas/ceph.git \
> 	--suite-branch wip-my-updated-test-case
>
> This is not new, but if you want teuthology-suite to find the most recent
> build for a branch (useful when master is moving quickly but you just need
> a recent build) you can use -n <max # commits to backtrack>:
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c master \
> 	--ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git \
> 	-n 10
>
> sage

Mykola Golub

* Re: [sepia] how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-15 15:00   ` Mykola Golub
From: Mykola Golub @ 2016-12-15 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, sepia

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:51:44PM +0200, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
> Hi, Sage,
>
> It looks like we still need to push testing branches to ceph.git for
> things like below?
>
> qa/workunits/rbd/test_librbd_python.sh:
>
> wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py" || \
>     wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=ref/heads/$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py"
>
> Do we have some env variable (CEPH_REPO?) we could use simirlaly to
> CEPH_REF here?

Or rather may be now we can avoid such hacks at all?

--
Mykola Golub

* Re: [sepia] how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-15 15:46     ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2016-12-15 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mykola Golub; +Cc: Sage Weil, Ceph Development, sepia

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Mykola Golub <trociny@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:51:44PM +0200, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
>> Hi, Sage,
>>
>> It looks like we still need to push testing branches to ceph.git for
>> things like below?
>>
>> qa/workunits/rbd/test_librbd_python.sh:
>>
>> wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py" || \
>>     wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=ref/heads/$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py"
>>
>> Do we have some env variable (CEPH_REPO?) we could use simirlaly to
>> CEPH_REF here?
>
> Or rather may be now we can avoid such hacks at all?

Exactly - as you notice bits like that, let's convert them to just
read their files locally instead of trying to fetch them from git.  I
guess the workunit task will be the major one here, if nobody already
adjusted it.

John

@ 2016-12-15 15:54       ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-12-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Sage Weil, Ceph Development, sepia

Correct me if I am wrong, but since we are just installing RPMs, I
wouldn't expect the full source tree to be available on the test host.
The test scripts would still need to pull the correct scripts from
git. Preferably, it would be nice if we can get a new environment
variable that includes the full git url with the branch/sha1 already
embedded. That would allow testing any script changes on teuthology
w/o forcing a push to ceph-ci and creating an unnecessary build.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM, John Spray <jspray@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Mykola Golub <trociny@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:51:44PM +0200, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
>>> Hi, Sage,
>>>
>>> It looks like we still need to push testing branches to ceph.git for
>>> things like below?
>>>
>>> qa/workunits/rbd/test_librbd_python.sh:
>>>
>>> wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py" || \
>>>     wget -O test_rbd.py "https://git.ceph.com/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;hb=ref/heads/$CEPH_REF;f=src/test/pybind/test_rbd.py"
>>>
>>> Do we have some env variable (CEPH_REPO?) we could use simirlaly to
>>> CEPH_REF here?
>>
>> Or rather may be now we can avoid such hacks at all?
>
> Exactly - as you notice bits like that, let's convert them to just
> read their files locally instead of trying to fetch them from git.  I
> guess the workunit task will be the major one here, if nobody already
> adjusted it.
>
> John
>
>> --
>> Mykola Golub
>> --

Jason

* Re: [sepia] how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-15 16:04         ` John Spray
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: John Spray @ 2016-12-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dillaman, Jason; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Sage Weil, Ceph Development, sepia

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@redhat.com> wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but since we are just installing RPMs, I
> wouldn't expect the full source tree to be available on the test host.
> The test scripts would still need to pull the correct scripts from
> git. Preferably, it would be nice if we can get a new environment
> variable that includes the full git url with the branch/sha1 already
> embedded. That would allow testing any script changes on teuthology
> w/o forcing a push to ceph-ci and creating an unnecessary build.

I'm thinking that rather than teuthology (the process executing
workunit.py) calling a git command on the test host, it would take its
local copy of the script (i.e. relative to workunit.py
../../../qa/workunits etc) and send that directly.

I think we can already avoid pushing test-only changes to ceph-ci,
because there are separate options for ceph vs. suite branches (even
though both point at ceph.git forks).  So when I want to test a
qa-suite change, I would use --suite-repo <github /jcsp/ path>
--suite-branch wip-whatever.  That would get the workunits from
wip-whatever.

John

@ 2016-12-15 16:11           ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Dillaman, Jason, Mykola Golub, Ceph Development, sepia

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016, John Spray wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but since we are just installing RPMs, I
> > wouldn't expect the full source tree to be available on the test host.
> > The test scripts would still need to pull the correct scripts from
> > git. Preferably, it would be nice if we can get a new environment
> > variable that includes the full git url with the branch/sha1 already
> > embedded. That would allow testing any script changes on teuthology
> > w/o forcing a push to ceph-ci and creating an unnecessary build.
>
> I'm thinking that rather than teuthology (the process executing
> workunit.py) calling a git command on the test host, it would take its
> local copy of the script (i.e. relative to workunit.py
> ../../../qa/workunits etc) and send that directly.
>
> I think we can already avoid pushing test-only changes to ceph-ci,
> because there are separate options for ceph vs. suite branches (even
> though both point at ceph.git forks).  So when I want to test a
> qa-suite change, I would use --suite-repo <github /jcsp/ path>
> --suite-branch wip-whatever.  That would get the workunits from
> wip-whatever.

Yes and yes!

sage

@ 2016-12-15 16:12           ` Jason Dillaman
       [not found]             ` <CALe9h7fXGBwcWE0hpk5Bvw6RSpKtqRdUQiUOBf-SXGjrc0L+fg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-12-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Sage Weil, Ceph Development, sepia

The issue is that this is an example of a workunit pulling support
files. You are suggesting that the workunit task now support listing
dependent scripts that the teuthology worker task should also download
and copy over to the test host? If so, it would definitely need to be
done in such a way that we can still run these workunits locally
(outside of teuthology).

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM, John Spray <jspray@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but since we are just installing RPMs, I
>> wouldn't expect the full source tree to be available on the test host.
>> The test scripts would still need to pull the correct scripts from
>> git. Preferably, it would be nice if we can get a new environment
>> variable that includes the full git url with the branch/sha1 already
>> embedded. That would allow testing any script changes on teuthology
>> w/o forcing a push to ceph-ci and creating an unnecessary build.
>
> I'm thinking that rather than teuthology (the process executing
> workunit.py) calling a git command on the test host, it would take its
> local copy of the script (i.e. relative to workunit.py
> ../../../qa/workunits etc) and send that directly.
>
> I think we can already avoid pushing test-only changes to ceph-ci,
> because there are separate options for ceph vs. suite branches (even
> though both point at ceph.git forks).  So when I want to test a
> qa-suite change, I would use --suite-repo <github /jcsp/ path>
> --suite-branch wip-whatever.  That would get the workunits from
> wip-whatever.
>
> John

>>> Exactly - as you notice bits like that, let's convert them to just
>>> read their files locally instead of trying to fetch them from git.  I
>>> guess the workunit task will be the major one here, if nobody already
>>> adjusted it.
>>>
>>> John

>> --
>> Jason

Jason

* Re: [sepia] how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-15 17:15           ` Vasu Kulkarni
From: Vasu Kulkarni @ 2016-12-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray
  Cc: Dillaman, Jason, Mykola Golub, Sage Weil, Ceph Development, sepia

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:04 AM, John Spray <jspray@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but since we are just installing RPMs, I
> > wouldn't expect the full source tree to be available on the test host.
> > The test scripts would still need to pull the correct scripts from
> > git. Preferably, it would be nice if we can get a new environment
> > variable that includes the full git url with the branch/sha1 already
> > embedded. That would allow testing any script changes on teuthology
> > w/o forcing a push to ceph-ci and creating an unnecessary build.
>
> I'm thinking that rather than teuthology (the process executing
> workunit.py) calling a git command on the test host, it would take its
> local copy of the script (i.e. relative to workunit.py
> ../../../qa/workunits etc) and send that directly.

But the workunit for upgrade suite will still need to do that to get
it from different branch rather than local dir. It
would be nice to remove hardcorded git.ceph.com from *all* workunits
and use it from config or ENV and
for many other cases it can actually use its local dir as *default*

@ 2016-12-15 22:32               ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-15 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Dillaman, Jason, Mykola Golub, Ceph Development, sepia

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016, John Spray wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2016 16:12, "Jason Dillaman" <jdillama@redhat.com> wrote:
>       The issue is that this is an example of a workunit pulling
>       support
>       files. You are suggesting that the workunit task now support
>       listing
>       dependent scripts that the teuthology worker task should also
>       download
>       and copy over to the test host? If so, it would definitely need
>       to be
>       done in such a way that we can still run these workunits locally
>       (outside of teuthology).
>

> Ah, I see what you mean.
>
> In this particular case the ultimate solution is perhaps to skip the
> indirection of having a workunit that downloads and runs a test script, and
> instead have a teuthology task that just executes the test explicitly (skip
> the bash part)
>
> However I haven't checked exactly how many tests might need reworking that
> way so if its a lot then we might need a CEPH_REPO var into work units to go
> with the CEPH_REF

This category of tests are fixed by
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/12511.  The workunit task already does a
git checkout.  The fix is to run the workunits directly out of the
checkout directory, and to fix the tests to use relative paths.

CEPH_BASE is also set to the base dir of the checkout, in case that's
useful.

I'm not sure we need CEPH_REPO since the checkout is already there..

If there are other tests that are still broken, let me know!
sage

@ 2016-12-22 22:12 ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2016-12-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, sepia

> Teuthology now defaults to https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git instead of
> ceph.git.
>
> To schedule a test against something in ceph-ci.git,
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-foo
>
> To schedule against something in ceph.git (e.g., master),
>
>   teuthology-suite -s rados -c master --ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git

Understood, but this does not seem to work. In latest teuthology, when I
specify "--ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git", the option is
ignored.

Maybe I'm just doing something ignorant and/or stupid.

For details, see http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/18342

--
Nathan Cutler
Software Engineer Distributed Storage

* Re: how to use teuthology-suite in the new world
@ 2016-12-22 22:21   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Cutler; +Cc: ceph-devel, sepia

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> > Teuthology now defaults to https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git instead of
> > ceph.git.
> >
> > To schedule a test against something in ceph-ci.git,
> >
> >   teuthology-suite -s rados -c wip-foo
> >
> > To schedule against something in ceph.git (e.g., master),
> >
> >   teuthology-suite -s rados -c master --ceph-repo
> > https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git
>
> Understood, but this does not seem to work. In latest teuthology, when I
> specify "--ceph-repo https://github.com/ceph/ceph.git", the option is ignored.
>
> Maybe I'm just doing something ignorant and/or stupid.
>
> For details, see http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/18342

Maybe your teuthology checkout is not up to date?  I've been using this
extensively for the last few days...

sage