* [refpolicy] gpg policy
@ 2016-12-28 16:32 Luis Ressel
From: Luis Ressel @ 2016-12-28 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: refpolicy

I'm currently trying to re-write the contrib/gpg module a bit. In
particular, I intend to change the types used for the data in
~/.gnupg/. This is what I have in mind:

* .gnupg/ itself: gpg_home_t (all gpg-related programs can create
  files/directories inside this)
* .gnupg/*.conf: gpg_conf_t (all gpg-related programs can read, but not
  write, those files)
* .gnupg/{trustdb.gpg,pubring*} and similar: gpg_home_t (only gpg_t
  can manage those files; perhaps I'll need to allow other gpg-related
  tools read access)
* .gnupg/* (everything else): gpg_secret_t (only gpg_t and gpg_agent_t
  can manage those files)

With gnupg 2.1, only gpg_agent_t needs access to gpg_secret_t data;
perhaps I'll add a boolean to configure this.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Luis

* [refpolicy] gpg policy
@ 2016-12-28 16:40 ` Dominick Grift
From: Dominick Grift @ 2016-12-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: refpolicy

On 12/28/2016 05:32 PM, Luis Ressel via refpolicy wrote:
> I'm currently trying to re-write the contrib/gpg module a bit. In
> particular, I intend to change the types used for the data in
> ~/.gnupg/. This is what I have in mind:
>
> * .gnupg/ itself: gpg_home_t (all gpg-related programs can create
>   files/directories inside this)
> * .gnupg/*.conf: gpg_conf_t (all gpg-related programs can read, but not
>   write, those files)
> * .gnupg/{trustdb.gpg,pubring*} and similar: gpg_home_t (only gpg_t
>   can manage those files; perhaps I'll need to allow other gpg-related
>   tools read access)
> * .gnupg/* (everything else): gpg_secret_t (only gpg_t and gpg_agent_t
>   can manage those files)
>
> With gnupg 2.1, only gpg_agent_t needs access to gpg_secret_t data;
> perhaps I'll add a boolean to configure this.

I am a bit confused about what you consider gpg_secret_t data.

gpg creates/maintains the private key. This is the thing I would want to
protect. Only gpg itself ever needs access to that file. Thus no
confined application should ever have any access to this private key

> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Luis

Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02
Dominick Grift

> I am a bit confused about what you consider gpg_secret_t data.
>
> gpg creates/maintains the private key. This is the thing I would want
> to protect. Only gpg itself ever needs access to that file. Thus no
> confined application should ever have any access to this private key

I guess my wording wasn't precise enough. By "gpg-related program", I
mean gpg, gpg-agent, dirmngr and scdaemon.

I don't want to expose any data in ~/.gnupg to third-party programs.
I'm just trying to segregate the different components of gpg (the tools
mentioned above) from each other; for example, as you remarked in your
previous mail, dirmngr shouldn't have access to private key material.

Regards,
Luis