* Querying the GID from a Provider Library
@ 2017-02-01 12:26 Amrani, Ram
       [not found] ` <SN1PR07MB22070E07E3610AFDD7F6DD97F84D0-mikhvbZlbf8TSoR2DauN2+FPX92sqiQdvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Amrani, Ram @ 2017-02-01 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yishai Hadas, dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA
  Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Doug, Yishay,
I need to translate sgid_index to sgid in the library to check for loopback.

While invoking ibv_query_gid does the job, it seems to me somewhat
inadequate that a provider library invokes an ibv function and not
an ibv_cmd function. What are your thoughts on this?

I would have invoked the  ibv_cmd_query_gid, but there is no such function
because ibv_query_gid does not require the kernel. However there's an old
*declaration* of the ibv_cmd_query_gid. Perhaps I will define the function
in a similar way to ibv_query_gid?!

Thanks,
Ram

* Re: Querying the GID from a Provider Library
@ 2017-02-01 16:11   ` Yishai Hadas
       [not found]     ` <d435251a-00a9-9304-afed-76aa46f0aa26-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Yishai Hadas @ 2017-02-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amrani, Ram
  Cc: dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

On 2/1/2017 2:26 PM, Amrani, Ram wrote:
> Hi Doug, Yishay,
> I need to translate sgid_index to sgid in the library to check for loopback.
>
> While invoking ibv_query_gid does the job, it seems to me somewhat
> inadequate that a provider library invokes an ibv function and not
> an ibv_cmd function. What are your thoughts on this?
>
> I would have invoked the  ibv_cmd_query_gid, but there is no such function
> because ibv_query_gid does not require the kernel. However there's an old
> *declaration* of the ibv_cmd_query_gid. Perhaps I will define the function
> in a similar way to ibv_query_gid?!

ibv_query_gid is used all around by vendors, it serves as some helper
function which is exported from libibverbs, you can just use it.

Re 'ibv_cmd_query_gid' looks like some 'dead' code that should be delted.

@ 2017-02-01 16:15       ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]         ` <20170201161514.GA8024-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2017-02-01 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yishai Hadas
  Cc: Amrani, Ram, dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 06:11:07PM +0200, Yishai Hadas wrote:

> Re 'ibv_cmd_query_gid' looks like some 'dead' code that should be delted.

Yes, please send a patch..

Jason

@ 2017-02-02 10:54       ` Amrani, Ram
From: Amrani, Ram @ 2017-02-02 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yishai Hadas
  Cc: dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

> ibv_query_gid is used all around by vendors, it serves as some helper
> function which is exported from libibverbs, you can just use it.

OK, thanks.

> Re 'ibv_cmd_query_gid' looks like some 'dead' code that should be delted.

I'll send a patch on Sunday.

@ 2017-02-02 10:54           ` Amrani, Ram
From: Amrani, Ram @ 2017-02-02 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, Yishai Hadas