* fs/crypt : passphrase recycle without data re-encrypt
@ 2017-02-06 11:00 Anand Jain
From: Anand Jain @ 2017-02-06 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Eric Biggers

  I am looking for some information on how its been planned to
  accommodate the feature such as passphrase recycle without the
  data re-encryption in fs/crypto or in e2crypt ? any idea ?
  Per fs/crypto and e2crypt (for the current master key derivation
  method) it appears to me that its not possible, unless I am
  missing something. ?

Thanks, Anand

* fs/crypt : passphrase recycle without data re-encrypt
@ 2017-02-06 11:16 ` Anand Jain
From: Anand Jain @ 2017-02-06 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Eric Biggers

   (s/e2crypt/e4crypt, sorry)
---

   I am looking for some information on how its been planned to
   accommodate the feature such as passphrase recycle without the
   data re-encryption in fs/crypto or in e4crypt ? any idea ?
   Per fs/crypto and e4crypt (for the current master key derivation
   method) it appears to me that its not possible, unless I am
   missing something. ?

Thanks, Anand

* Re: fs/crypt : passphrase recycle without data re-encrypt
@ 2017-02-06 18:02   ` Eric Biggers
From: Eric Biggers @ 2017-02-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Jain; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, Theodore Ts'o, Joe Richey

Hi Anand,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 07:16:35PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:

>   (s/e2crypt/e4crypt, sorry)
> ---
>
>   I am looking for some information on how its been planned to
>   accommodate the feature such as passphrase recycle without the
>   data re-encryption in fs/crypto or in e4crypt ? any idea ?
>   Per fs/crypto and e4crypt (for the current master key derivation
>   method) it appears to me that its not possible, unless I am
>   missing something. ?
>
> Thanks, Anand

Indeed, this needs to be implemented by userspace, but e4crypt doesn't support
it yet.  I've Cc'ed Joe Richey; he's currently working on a userspace program
called 'fscrypt' that will support this feature.  There's also a design document
at https://goo.gl/55cCrI you could take a look at.

Eric

* Re: fs/crypt : passphrase recycle without data re-encrypt
@ 2017-02-06 22:43     ` Anand Jain
From: Anand Jain @ 2017-02-06 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Biggers, Joe Richey; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, Theodore Ts'o

>>   I am looking for some information on how its been planned to
>>   accommodate the feature such as passphrase recycle without the
>>   data re-encryption in fs/crypto or in e4crypt ? any idea ?
>>   Per fs/crypto and e4crypt (for the current master key derivation
>>   method) it appears to me that its not possible, unless I am
>>   missing something. ?

> Indeed, this needs to be implemented by userspace, but e4crypt doesn't support
> it yet.  I've Cc'ed Joe Richey; he's currently working on a userspace program
> called 'fscrypt' that will support this feature.  There's also a design document
> at https://goo.gl/55cCrI you could take a look at.

  Thanks. -Anand