* BTRFS hybrid system setup issues
@ 2017-02-25 19:30 Bhasker C V
From: Bhasker C V @ 2017-02-25 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi all,

  I have an x86_64 kernel running with i386 userland rootfs.
 Long back I believe there were some fixes for btrfs-tools which ran
smoothly in this setup but after several dist-upgrades(debian) and
long forgotten command, the btrfs-tools commands have started to fail

for instance

$ sudo btrfs fi sync  .
ERROR: sync ioctl failed on '.': Inappropriate ioctl for device
$

Is there any fix for this ? I downloaded the git master branch and it
too seems to suffer from this issue.

--
Bhasker C V

* Re: BTRFS hybrid system setup issues
@ 2017-02-25 20:40 ` Hans van Kranenburg
From: Hans van Kranenburg @ 2017-02-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhasker C V, linux-btrfs

On 02/25/2017 08:30 PM, Bhasker C V wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I have an x86_64 kernel running with i386 userland rootfs.

Which kernel version? (`uname -a`)

>  Long back I believe there were some fixes for btrfs-tools which ran
> smoothly in this setup but after several dist-upgrades(debian) and
> long forgotten command, the btrfs-tools commands have started to fail

Which btrfs progs version? (`btrfs version`)

> for instance
>
> $ sudo btrfs fi sync  .
> ERROR: sync ioctl failed on '.': Inappropriate ioctl for device
> $
>
> Is there any fix for this ? I downloaded the git master branch and it
> too seems to suffer from this issue.

Maybe this is relevant here:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg62692.html

--
Hans van Kranenburg

* Re: BTRFS hybrid system setup issues
@ 2017-02-26  5:17   ` Bhasker C V
From: Bhasker C V @ 2017-02-26  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans van Kranenburg; +Cc: linux-btrfs

I compiled kernel 4.10 and I can confirm it is working fnie now.  4.10
has the compat-ioctl patches for btrfs progs to work with x86_64
kernel in i386 userland.
thanks to all

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 2:10 AM, Hans van Kranenburg
<hans.van.kranenburg@mendix.com> wrote:
> On 02/25/2017 08:30 PM, Bhasker C V wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I have an x86_64 kernel running with i386 userland rootfs.
>
> Which kernel version? (`uname -a`)
The old 4.9.0 did not
I today got 4.10 kernel and found that it is all fine. The
compat-ioctl does the trick.

>>  Long back I believe there were some fixes for btrfs-tools which ran
>> smoothly in this setup but after several dist-upgrades(debian) and
>> long forgotten command, the btrfs-tools commands have started to fail
>
> Which btrfs progs version? (`btrfs version`)

btrfs-progs (master)

@ 2017-02-26  5:47     ` Adam Borowski
From: Adam Borowski @ 2017-02-26  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhasker C V; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:47:40AM +0530, Bhasker C V wrote:
> I compiled kernel 4.10 and I can confirm it is working fnie now.  4.10
> has the compat-ioctl patches for btrfs progs to work with x86_64
> kernel in i386 userland.

So does 4.9.10 if you prefer running long-lived releases.

--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
  ./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11

* Re: BTRFS hybrid system setup issues
@ 2017-02-27 19:19       ` Bhasker C V
From: Bhasker C V @ 2017-02-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Borowski; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi,
 On further testing I found that many of the functionality works fine
(most of the core functionality). One function I could not get to work
with this x86_64 kernel and i386 userland is
btrfs subvolme functionality works; btrfsck works; scrub works fine.
BUT
-------
$ sudo btrfs send aa > /tmp/a
At subvol aa
ERROR: send ioctl failed with -25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
-------
kernel 4.10.0
btrfs-prog 4.7.3 (debian)