* staging-testing branch
@ 2017-02-28  0:37 Tobin C. Harding
From: Tobin C. Harding @ 2017-02-28  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Greg

Thanks for your unfathomable patience dealing with kernel newbies. I
have a small suggestion, in a most humble manner.

It seems that when patches don't apply the response is not
automated, if it is possible within your system to automate checking
if a patch actually applies would it be beneficial to point the patch
submitter towards tracking remote branches (i.e are they basing their
patches on on your staging-testing branch).

I have wasted some of your time previously because it took me a while
to work this out. Perhaps we can save other people from also
unnecessarily using up your time.

thanks again,
Tobin.

* staging-testing branch
@ 2017-02-28  5:26 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-02-28  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:37:37AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> Greg
>
> Thanks for your unfathomable patience dealing with kernel newbies. I
> have a small suggestion, in a most humble manner.
>
> It seems that when patches don't apply the response is not
> automated, if it is possible within your system to automate checking
> if a patch actually applies would it be beneficial to point the patch
> submitter towards tracking remote branches (i.e are they basing their
> patches on on your staging-testing branch).

Normally my response is automated, and staging-testing doesn't get
abused like it currently is right now.  But we are in the middle of both
the merge window, and the Outreachy intern application process, so it's
a mess.  Normally during the merge window I do not touch any patches, so
things back up for 2 weeks.  But due to Outreachy happening right now,
that's not very fair to the applicants, so I'm queueing up patches in
staging-testing at the moment to give them a chance to get things
accepted.

And because I'm taking Outreachy patches, I'm taking all other staging
patches as well, to keep from playing favorites with just that limited
group.

So, it's messy, and not normal (happens only once a year or so).  So you
can just wait another week to do any staging patches, or just live with
the mess for a few more days until my "normal" branches open up :)

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

* staging-testing branch
@ 2017-02-28  8:53   ` Tobin C. Harding
From: Tobin C. Harding @ 2017-02-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 06:26:57AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:37:37AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> > Greg
> >
> > Thanks for your unfathomable patience dealing with kernel newbies. I
> > have a small suggestion, in a most humble manner.
> >
> > It seems that when patches don't apply the response is not
> > automated, if it is possible within your system to automate checking
> > if a patch actually applies would it be beneficial to point the patch
> > submitter towards tracking remote branches (i.e are they basing their
> > patches on on your staging-testing branch).
>
> Normally my response is automated, and staging-testing doesn't get
> abused like it currently is right now.  But we are in the middle of both
> the merge window, and the Outreachy intern application process, so it's
> a mess.  Normally during the merge window I do not touch any patches, so
> things back up for 2 weeks.  But due to Outreachy happening right now,
> that's not very fair to the applicants, so I'm queueing up patches in
> staging-testing at the moment to give them a chance to get things
> accepted.
>
> And because I'm taking Outreachy patches, I'm taking all other staging
> patches as well, to keep from playing favorites with just that limited
> group.
>
> So, it's messy, and not normal (happens only once a year or so).  So you
> can just wait another week to do any staging patches, or just live with
> the mess for a few more days until my "normal" branches open up :)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> greg k-h

Woops, Julia already told me to stop doing small patches until the
merge window closed. I must be a slow learner.

thanks,
Tobin.