* [bug] regulator: fixed, gpio: probe fails on unset regulator-name
@ 2017-03-03 21:20 Harald Geyer
From: Harald Geyer @ 2017-03-03 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood, Mark Brown, Heiko Stuebner; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/regulator.txt says that the
regulator-name property is optional. However fixed and gpio regulators
fail in probe with the following message, if the property is not
present:

| reg-fixed-voltage regulators:sensor_supply: Failed to allocate supply
name
| reg-fixed-voltage: probe of regulators:sensor_supply failed with
error -12

This is caused by the following code in both drivers:
         drvdata->desc.name = devm_kstrdup(&pdev->dev,
                                           config->supply_name,
                                           GFP_KERNEL);
         if (drvdata->desc.name == NULL) {
                 dev_err(&pdev->dev, "Failed to allocate supply
name\n");
                 return -ENOMEM;
         }

If config->supply_name == NULL, then devm_kstrdup() also returns NULL.

I don't know whether the binding document or the implementation is
wrong,
so can't propose a fix for this. Sorry.

TIA,
Harald

--
If you want to support my work:
see http://friends.ccbib.org/harald/supporting/

* Re: [bug] regulator: fixed, gpio: probe fails on unset regulator-name
@ 2017-03-06 10:15 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-03-06 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Geyer; +Cc: Liam Girdwood, Heiko Stuebner, linux-kernel