* RFC: Proper locking tips for IRQ handlers?
@ 2017-03-04 15:17 Joshua Kinard
From: Joshua Kinard @ 2017-03-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux/MIPS

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on how to improve IRQ handlers on IP30 (SGI
Octane).  Since switching to the use of per_cpu data structures, I've
apparently not needed to do any locking when handling IRQs.  However, it looks
like around ~Linux-4.8.x, there's some noticeable contention going on with
heavy disk I/O, and it's worse in 4.9 and 4.10.  Under 4.8, untar'ing a basic
Linux kernel source tarball completed fine, but as of 4.9/4.10, there's a
chance to trigger either an oops or oom killer.  While the untar operation
happens, I can watch the graphics console and the blinking cursor will
sometimes pause momentarily, which suggests contention somewhere.

So my question is in struct irq_chip accessors like irq_ack, irq_mask,
irq_mask_ack, etc, should spinlocks be used prior to accessing the HEART ASIC?
And if so, normal spinlocks, raw spinlocks, or the irq save/restore variants?

I've looked at the IRQ implementations for a few other MIPS boards, but because
each system is so unique, there's no clear consensus on the right way to do it.
 Octeon, uses irq_bus_lock and irq_bus_sync_unlock, along with a mutex, for
locking, while netlogic uses locking only during irq_enable or irq_disable, and
loongsoon-3 doesn't appear to employ any locking at all.  Other archs appear to
be a mix as well, and I'm even seeing newer constructs like the use of
irq_data_get_irq_chip_data() to fetch a common data structure where the
spinlock variable is defined.  Other systems use a global spinlock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And our
lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic