* Re: Wireguard added to Alpine Linux
       [not found] <6b590394-3134-b725-a063-0993b32a51c4@it-offshore.co.uk>
@ 2017-03-02 15:33 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-03-02 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Stuart,

Responding with the list CCd, since that's where people learn about
wireguard related things. You might want to subscribe to it so you can
get snapshot bump announcements.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 10:36 PM, Stuart Cardall
<developer@it-offshore.co.uk> wrote:
> Just a quick courtesy email to let you know wireguard has been added to
> Alpine Linux.

This is wonderful news! Thanks so much for doing this. I left a few
small comments on the PR [1], which should be easy to address. Looking
forward to testing this out.

Could you send a tiny command stanza for wireguard.io/install/ so that
I can put up an Alpine Linux section?

Regards,
Jason

[1] https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/948#pullrequestreview-24756731

* Re: Wireguard added to Alpine Linux
@ 2017-03-02 21:49   ` Stuart Cardall
From: Stuart Cardall @ 2017-03-02 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason,

Wireguard can be added to Alpine with:

apk add wireguard-tools

The appropriate kernel module for linux-grsecor linux-vanillawill be
installed automatically. On the server it is probably necessary to:

echo wireguard >>/etc/modules&& rc-update add modules boot

A wireguard user mentioned on irc earlier today that everything is
working perfectly.

To monitor releases @ Alpine we use https://release-monitoring.org/ - if
it doesn't pick up the changes I'll subscribe.

Many thanks for the comments & review -
see https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/948 - they are fixed in
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/issues/954

If there is a step I was missing to correctly run `make check` I would
still like to run it in the future - perhaps it will pick up potential
issues from Alpine using musl libc (not glibc).

Kind Regards,

Stuart.

@ 2017-03-03  3:24     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-03-03  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stuart,

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Stuart Cardall
<developer@it-offshore.co.uk> wrote:
> Wireguard can be added to Alpine with:
>
> apk add wireguard-tools

Great!

>. On the server it is probably necessary to:
>
> echo wireguard >> /etc/modules && rc-update add modules boot

This step should not be necessary. You're probably forgetting to call
`depmod -a` after installing the module. This is needed to ensure that
the right module aliases and dependency information is generated, so
that the module is _auto-loaded_ when users run `ip link add wg0 type
wireguard`.

> A wireguard user mentioned on irc earlier today that everything is working
> perfectly.

Awesome!

> To monitor releases @ Alpine we use https://release-monitoring.org/ - if it
> doesn't pick up the changes I'll subscribe.

Okay. Well, keep in mind that I publish release notes here and tips to
distributions about any possible build changes, so your involvement or
at least subscription here would indeed be a good thing.

> If there is a step I was missing to correctly run `make check` I would still
> like to run it in the future - perhaps it will pick up potential issues from
> Alpine using musl libc (not glibc).

It's certainly not any of the current `make check` or tests/ stuff
that you're currently looking at. Rather, when WireGuard is compiled
in debug mode, if you insert it, then it will go through a series of
self-tests. For more intense testing, involving the userspace
component, there's `make test-qemu`, which builds a kernel and boots
up QEMU... But I suspect this is a bit too heavy weight for a distro.
And besides, it's already being run for every commit for all
kernel.org kernels on: https://www.wireguard.io/build-status/ By the
way -- this uses musl libc, so I ensure it will always run nicely
there.

The only thing remaining in the package is to remove the incoherent
"wireguard-tests" package, which doesn't work in the way you'd hope,
and doesn't belong there.

Regards,
Jason

* Release monitoring (Was: Wireguard added to Alpine Linux)
@ 2017-03-08 16:05     ` Baptiste Jonglez
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2017-03-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stuart,

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:49:53PM +0000, Stuart Cardall wrote:
> To monitor releases @ Alpine we use https://release-monitoring.org/ - if
> it doesn't pick up the changes I'll subscribe.

Thanks for mentioning this, it's a nice tool!  I started using it for
other projects.  By the way, receiving notification emails is non-obvious:
you have to register on https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications and
add a filter that matches the upstream projects you are interested in.

I just added wireguard [1], the monitoring system is configured to scrape
https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/ and look for "WireGuard-([\d\.]*).tar.xz"
to extract a version number.

Baptiste

[1] https://release-monitoring.org/project/13481/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Release monitoring (Was: Wireguard added to Alpine Linux)
@ 2017-03-08 17:12       ` Stuart Cardall
From: Stuart Cardall @ 2017-03-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Baptiste,

Many thanks for your message - I will add a distribution mapping for
Alpine Linux once Wireguard has moved out of testing.

In Alpine we monitor releases directly with http://fedmsg.com - when a
new notification with an Alpine mapping is received, it creates a flag
in the Aports application. The package maintainer then receives an email
about the outdated package from Aports, in the same way as when someone
manually flags the pkg as outdated on https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages

Kind Regards,

Stuart

@ 2017-03-08 18:05       ` Stuart Cardall
From: Stuart Cardall @ 2017-03-08 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Baptiste,

This was very helpful thank you - I've added email / irc notifications @
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications for wireguard. I found the
easiest way to get a login was to use
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new

To get notifications choose the following filter from the Anitya section:

[[ Anything regarding a particular "upstream project"  ]]

& just enter wireguard as the project name.

@ 2017-03-10  3:14         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-03-10  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wonderful!

Thanks for setting this up guys.