* [GSoC 2017] Rust bindings for libxl
@ 2017-03-06 15:50 Saurav Sachidanand
From: Saurav Sachidanand @ 2017-03-06 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, cardoe; +Cc: xen-devel

Hello,

I'm Saurav Sachidanand, and I'm a CS sophomore studying in India. For
more than year I've been programming in Rust and have published some
personal projects in it (few involving the Rust-C FFI) and have
contributed a some code to Servo (github.com/saurvs). I've also
played around a bit with kernel modules in NetBSD.

I'm interested in Xen's project for creating Rust bindings for libxl.
Since I'm new to Xen, I'll spend time reading the docs, building and
testing out Xen, and researching on the how to go about the
implementing the bindings.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance and pointers you can give
regarding this project. And if you could point me to some small coding
tasks, I can start working it to get familiar with Xen's code base.

Thanks,
Saurav

* Re: [GSoC 2017] Rust bindings for libxl
@ 2017-03-13 10:47 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-03-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurav Sachidanand; +Cc: cardoe, wei.liu2, xen-devel

Hello Saurav

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 03:50:37PM +0000, Saurav Sachidanand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Saurav Sachidanand, and I'm a CS sophomore studying in India. For
> more than year I've been programming in Rust and have published some
> personal projects in it (few involving the Rust-C FFI) and have
> contributed a some code to Servo (github.com/saurvs). I've also
> played around a bit with kernel modules in NetBSD.
>
> I'm interested in Xen's project for creating Rust bindings for libxl.
> Since I'm new to Xen, I'll spend time reading the docs, building and
> testing out Xen, and researching on the how to go about the
> implementing the bindings.

Yeah, the first step would be to install and play with Xen for a bit.

> I'd greatly appreciate any guidance and pointers you can give
> regarding this project. And if you could point me to some small coding
> tasks, I can start working it to get familiar with Xen's code base.

From my point of view, this project needs to achieve several goals:

1. generate bindings systematically and automatically;
2. be committed in tree (xen.git) -- see also tools/python directory;
3. can be tested in project's CI infrastructure (osstest).

Doug might have more points to add.

As a small exercise, please try to implement a program in Rust so that
we can see (more or less) the same information as you would see when
calling "xl info", and provide building instructions so that we can test
it. Bonus point: do it in the form of a patch against xen.git so that we
can build it in-tree.

And then you can come up with some ideas on how to achieve the goals.

Wei.

@ 2017-03-13 10:54   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-03-13 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurav Sachidanand; +Cc: cardoe, wei.liu2, xen-devel

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:47:08AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hello Saurav
>
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 03:50:37PM +0000, Saurav Sachidanand wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm Saurav Sachidanand, and I'm a CS sophomore studying in India. For
> > more than year I've been programming in Rust and have published some
> > personal projects in it (few involving the Rust-C FFI) and have
> > contributed a some code to Servo (github.com/saurvs). I've also
> > played around a bit with kernel modules in NetBSD.
> >
> > I'm interested in Xen's project for creating Rust bindings for libxl.
> > Since I'm new to Xen, I'll spend time reading the docs, building and
> > testing out Xen, and researching on the how to go about the
> > implementing the bindings.
> >

> Yeah, the first step would be to install and play with Xen for a bit.
>
> > I'd greatly appreciate any guidance and pointers you can give
> > regarding this project. And if you could point me to some small coding
> > tasks, I can start working it to get familiar with Xen's code base.
> >

> From my point of view, this project needs to achieve several goals:
>
> 1. generate bindings systematically and automatically;
> 2. be committed in tree (xen.git) -- see also tools/python directory;
> 3. can be tested in project's CI infrastructure (osstest).
>
> Doug might have more points to add.
>
> As a small exercise, please try to implement a program in Rust so that
> we can see (more or less) the same information as you would see when
> calling "xl info", and provide building instructions so that we can test
> it. Bonus point: do it in the form of a patch against xen.git so that we
> can build it in-tree.
>
> And then you can come up with some ideas on how to achieve the goals.

Forgot to say: feel free to ask questions if you find it difficult to
navigate xen source code.

The code you want to check out at this stage is tools/libxl,
tools/xl. Please also have a look at tools/python for existing in-tree
bindings.

Wei.