* UML not maintained anymore?
@ 2017-02-28 15:28 Natale Patriciello
From: Natale Patriciello @ 2017-02-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-user; +Cc: linux-kernel

It seems there is no interest in fixing bugs (such as [1]). Moreover,
same guest filesystem (same host os, distribution, etc.) on two
different machines (i7-2630 the first, i7-7700HQ the second) yield
different results, with crashes and corruption of filesystem in the
modern computer.  So, can I consider UML as a legacy thing in the Linux
kernel? With what I can replace it (I'm doing TCP research, and I focus
on the networking stack)?

Thank you

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/user-mode-linux/mailman/message/35663374/

* Re: UML not maintained anymore?
@ 2017-03-17 15:46 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2017-03-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Natale Patriciello; +Cc: user-mode-linux-user, linux-kernel

On Tue 2017-02-28 16:28:11, Natale Patriciello wrote:
> It seems there is no interest in fixing bugs (such as [1]). Moreover,
> same guest filesystem (same host os, distribution, etc.) on two
> different machines (i7-2630 the first, i7-7700HQ the second) yield
> different results, with crashes and corruption of filesystem in the
> modern computer.  So, can I consider UML as a legacy thing in the Linux
> kernel? With what I can replace it (I'm doing TCP research, and I focus
> on the networking stack)?

Well.. if it worked before and does not work now, that's a regression
and will be fixed. Bisect would be useful.

If it never worked on new CPUs, that's different situation...
									Pavel

* Re: UML not maintained anymore?
@ 2017-03-17 16:55   ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2017-03-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Natale Patriciello, user-mode-linux-user, LKML

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> On Tue 2017-02-28 16:28:11, Natale Patriciello wrote:
>> It seems there is no interest in fixing bugs (such as [1]). Moreover,
>> same guest filesystem (same host os, distribution, etc.) on two
>> different machines (i7-2630 the first, i7-7700HQ the second) yield
>> different results, with crashes and corruption of filesystem in the
>> modern computer.  So, can I consider UML as a legacy thing in the Linux
>> kernel? With what I can replace it (I'm doing TCP research, and I focus
>> on the networking stack)?
>
> Well.. if it worked before and does not work now, that's a regression
> and will be fixed. Bisect would be useful.
>
> If it never worked on new CPUs, that's different situation...

Yep, a bisect would be good.
Regressions are rather easy to fix.

UML is more or less in legacy mode an I work on it purely in my very limited
spare time. That's why I don't have time to track down and solve every
single bug.

//richard