* Maximum Transmit Power for channel 36 ,40,44 and 48
@ 2017-03-20  8:25 KAVITA MATHUR
From: KAVITA MATHUR @ 2017-03-20  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k, ath9k-devel

Hi,

Chipset : AR9220
RF module : WLM200NX and WLM200N5
Linux Kernel : 3.12
ath9k driver : backport4.4.2-1

With above combination , I have measured maximum transmit power 13 dBm for channel
36,40,44 and 48. While it is 20 dBm for channel 149 and other 5GHz band channels
 as well as for 2.4 GHz channels.

If I try to set txpower using iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20 , it gives no error.but it shows
only 13dBM.

How I can change the txpower for channel 36,40,44 and 48?

Please help me on this.

Thanks & Regards,
कविता माथुर Kavita Mathur
वरिष्ठ अनुसंधान अभियंता  Senior Research Engineer
सी-डॉट                      C-DOT
इलैक्ट्रॉनिक्स सिटी फेज़ I         Electronics City Phase I
होसूर रोड, बेंगलूरु               Hosur Road, Bengaluru – 560100
फोन  Ph 080-28529896
Disclaimer:

* Re: Maximum Transmit Power for channel 36 ,40,44 and 48
@ 2017-03-20 10:45 ` Sebastian Gottschall
From: Sebastian Gottschall @ 2017-03-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVITA MATHUR, ath10k, ath9k-devel

Am 20.03.2017 um 09:25 schrieb KAVITA MATHUR:
> Hi,
>
> Chipset : AR9220
> RF module : WLM200NX and WLM200N5
> Linux Kernel : 3.12
> ath9k driver : backport4.4.2-1
>
> With above combination , I have measured maximum transmit power 13 dBm for channel
> 36,40,44 and 48. While it is 20 dBm for channel 149 and other 5GHz band channels
>   as well as for 2.4 GHz channels.
>
> If I try to set txpower using iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20 , it gives no error.but it shows
> only 13dBM.
>
> How I can change the txpower for channel 36,40,44 and 48?
the maximum availale txpower depends on the calibration data which is
stored within the cards owm eeprom and is also related to the current
used mcs set / wireless rate.
as higher the rate is as lower the transmission power will be
according to the datasheet the rate for ht40 5 ghz for this card is 14
dbm at MCS 7 / 15 with a tollerance of +- 2 dbm

https://www.pcengines.ch/pdf/wlm200n5-23.pdf

Sebastian

> Please help me on this.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> कविता माथुर Kavita Mathur
> वरिष्ठ अनुसंधान अभियंता  Senior Research Engineer
> सी-डॉट                      C-DOT
> इलैक्ट्रॉनिक्स सिटी फेज़ I         Electronics City Phase I
> होसूर रोड, बेंगलूरु               Hosur Road, Bengaluru – 560100
> फोन  Ph 080-28529896
> Disclaimer:

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Berliner Ring 101, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall@dd-wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565

* Re: Maximum Transmit Power for channel 36 ,40,44 and 48
@ 2017-03-21  3:59   ` KAVITA MATHUR
From: KAVITA MATHUR @ 2017-03-21  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gottschall, ath10k, ath9k-devel

Hi,

But I got 13 dBm for 20 MHz channel(HT20), mcs 7. And I got 18dBm for 40 MHz
channel(HT40), mcs 15. In both cases, I have set channel 36.

If I change channel 36 to 149, I always get 20dBm for all the modes(legacy,HT-20 and HT-40).

I am using country IN in my hostapd configuration file, which gives following limitation:

country IN: DFS-JP
        (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (20)
        (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (20), AUTO-BW
        (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (20), DFS, AUTO-BW
        (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (20)
Can I change the calibration data? How can it be done?

Thanks & Regards,
KAvita

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:45:16 +0100, Sebastian Gottschall wrote

@ 2017-03-21  4:12     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2017-03-21  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVITA MATHUR; +Cc: ath10k, Sebastian Gottschall, ath9k-devel

hiya,

sure, but the NIC also has calibration tables for the maximum power
it's been calibrated at for each channel. This includes per-channel
targets and band-edge targets.

Unfortunately :( ath10k doesn't easily expose the NIC regulatory / CTL
entries in a useful fashion. That would sure be nice.

-adrian