* Issue with 2.11.0 and GIT_EXEC_PATH with multiple entries
@ 2017-03-30 22:39 Nate Mueller
From: Nate Mueller @ 2017-03-30 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I ran into this after upgrading to 2.11.0 through Xcode.  I assumed it
was a packaging issue but it looks like it's been in the mainline
since 1073094f30 (on October 29).

In 2.11.0, git-sh-setup switched it's call of git-sh-i18n from:

. git-sh-i18n

to:

. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-i18n"

This fails for me because my GIT_EXEC_PATH is set to
"/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/git-core:/Users/nate/.git-exec".
If I remove the second entry git-sh-setup works just fine.

Am I doing something wrong here?  I can't see what but I'm surprised
that I'm the first person to hit this.

--
Nate Mueller - Head of Engineering - RetailNext - 406-356-6283

* Re: Issue with 2.11.0 and GIT_EXEC_PATH with multiple entries
@ 2017-03-30 22:57 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2017-03-30 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Mueller; +Cc: git

Nate Mueller <nate@retailnext.net> writes:

> This fails for me because my GIT_EXEC_PATH is set to
> "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/libexec/git-core:/Users/nate/.git-exec".

That environment variable is designed to hold a single path, not
like $PATH that lists multiple places in a colon separated list.

* Re: Issue with 2.11.0 and GIT_EXEC_PATH with multiple entries
@ 2017-03-30 23:00   ` Nate Mueller
From: Nate Mueller @ 2017-03-30 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

Really?  My config has been set this way for years and it's never
caused problems before.  I have subcommands in both of those
directories and all work.

@ 2017-03-30 23:32     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2017-03-30 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Mueller; +Cc: Junio C Hamano, git

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 04:00:41PM -0700, Nate Mueller wrote:

> Really?  My config has been set this way for years and it's never
> caused problems before.  I have subcommands in both of those
> directories and all work.

Really. It did happen to work most of the time before (because most uses
involved just appending it to $PATH). But it was never intended to work
with multiple paths. The:

  . "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-whatever"

advice has been advertised in the documentation for years. E.g., see
bd870878f (Documentation: don't assume git-sh-setup and git-parse-remote
are in PATH, 2008-06-29). So even if we wanted to relax the rules in our
scripts, it seems like a potential hazard for 3rd party scripts.

The recommended way is to just put your ~/.git-exec into your $PATH.

-Peff

* Re: Issue with 2.11.0 and GIT_EXEC_PATH with multiple entries
@ 2017-03-31  0:39       ` Nate Mueller
From: Nate Mueller @ 2017-03-31  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Junio C Hamano, git

Got it.  Thanks!

--
Nate Mueller - Head of Engineering - RetailNext - 406-356-6283