* Re: ktest help
       [not found]   ` <d034a112-f58b-16b3-babb-f5528f1ee399@codeaurora.org>
@ 2017-04-06 16:49     ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2017-04-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

I added LKML (others may want to know this too), and John, who's going
to help me maintain ktest.

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:34:45 -0500
Timur Tabi <timur@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> > My answer is above. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.
>
> Thank you, that fixed it.  I will submit a patch that adds a note so that no
> one else makes that mistake.
>
> Do you have any more sample kconf files?  I'm trying to get ktest to work

I have lots of kconf files. ktest is basically the only way I build my
kernels now :-)

> with my environment.  The way I boot my target is, after it's powered on,
> the system PXE boots a Grub.  From that screen, I press 'c' to get the
> command line, where I enter a command prompt and then type in "boot".  Like
> this:
>
> grub> linux AUSB33_SDP_Linux/Image.q rootwait rw ip=dhcp root=/dev/sda2
> rootfstype=ext4 panic=1 acpi.debug_level=2
> earlycon=pl011,0xff78ed1000,qdf2400_e44
> grub> boot
>
> This tftp's the kernel image (Image.q) and then boots.  I'm having
> difficulty figuring out how to implement that in ktest.

Can you make a script do this? If so, then you can simply tell ktest to
call that script. See the options SWITCH_TO_TEST and SWITCH_TO_GOOD.

-- Steve

* Re: ktest help
@ 2017-04-06 17:01       ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2017-04-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On 04/06/2017 11:49 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

>> > This tftp's the kernel image (Image.q) and then boots.  I'm having
>> > difficulty figuring out how to implement that in ktest.
>> >
> Can you make a script do this? If so, then you can simply tell ktest to
> call that script. See the options SWITCH_TO_TEST and SWITCH_TO_GOOD.

Not really.  Today, I literally copy/paste that command into my putty
session every time I boot.  I currently have a poor-mans-ktest that I use
today, that I'm hoping to replace with ktest itself.  It's a Python script
that uses pexpect to communicate with a serial-to-ethernet device.  It's
fragile and ugly, but it generally works:

def pxe_boot(child, kernel):
    global options
    global args

    print 'Looking for Grub prompt'

    count = 24  # two minutes, twice
    while True:
        child.sendline('c')
        try:
            child.expect('grub> ', timeout = 10)
            break
        except pexpect.TIMEOUT as e:
            count -= 1
            if count == 0:
                print 'Boot failed'
                return
            if count == 12:
                bmc_reboot(options.bmc)
                print 'Rebooting via BMC'
            else:
                print 'Still waiting ...'
            pass

    print 'Loading kernel %s' % sys.argv[1]
    if options.amberwing:
        child.sendline('linux %s earlycon=pl011,0xff78ed1000 console=ttyAMA1
rootwait rw ip=dhcp root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 panic=1' % args[0])
    else:
        child.sendline('linux %s earlycon=pl011,mmio32,0x3ced1000
console=ttyAMA0 rootwait rw ip=dhcp root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 panic=1'
% args[0])
    child.expect('grub> ', timeout = 60)
    print 'Booting Linux'
    child.sendline('boot')

Is there a way I can send a "boot" command after ktest connects to the console?

--
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm
Technologies, Inc.  Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the

* Re: ktest help
@ 2017-04-06 17:05         ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2017-04-06 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 12:01:37 -0500
Timur Tabi <timur@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> Is there a way I can send a "boot" command after ktest connects to the console?

Not currently, but that is something I've been wanting to add for some
time.

John?

-- Steve

* Re: ktest help
@ 2017-04-06 18:39           ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2017-04-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On 04/06/2017 12:05 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>> > Is there a way I can send a "boot" command after ktest connects to the console?
>> >
> Not currently, but that is something I've been wanting to add for some
> time.

So are you saying that ktest depends on the target booting from power-on all
the way to the login prompt without any user intervention?

--

@ 2017-04-06 18:50             ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2017-04-06 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:39:00 -0500
Timur Tabi <timur@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> > Not currently, but that is something I've been wanting to add for some
> > time.
>
> So are you saying that ktest depends on the target booting from power-on all
> the way to the login prompt without any user intervention?

Currently yes, but it shouldn't be hard to add a hook to intervene. I
just haven't had something that required it yet.

-- Steve

* Re: ktest help
@ 2017-04-06 18:53               ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2017-04-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On 04/06/2017 01:50 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Currently yes, but it shouldn't be hard to add a hook to intervene. I
> just haven't had something that required it yet.

If I understood Perl, I would add the feature myself.

--

@ 2017-04-06 19:14                 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2017-04-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: John 'Warthog9' Hawley, LKML

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:53:59 -0500
Timur Tabi <timur@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> On 04/06/2017 01:50 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Currently yes, but it shouldn't be hard to add a hook to intervene. I
> > just haven't had something that required it yet.
>
> If I understood Perl, I would add the feature myself.

I might be able to come up with something this week, that you can test.

-- Steve