* Looking for device driver advice
@ 2017-04-10 20:13 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2017-04-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

I am looking for advice regarding the construction of a device driver
for a MIPI CSI2 imager (a Sony IMX241) that is connected to a
MIPI<->Parallel converter (Toshiba TC358748) wired into a parallel
interface on a Soc (a Microchip/Atmel SAMAD2x device.)

The Sony imager is controlled and configured via I2C, as is the
Toshiba converter.  I could write a single driver that configures both
devices and treats them as a single device that just happens to use 2
i2c addresses.  I could use the i2c_new_dummy() API to construct the
device abstraction for the second physical device at probe time for
the first physical device.

Or I could do something smarter (or at least different), specifying
the two devices independently via my device tree file, perhaps linking
them together via "port" nodes.  Currently, I use the "port" node
concept to link an i2c imager to the Image System Controller (isc)
node in the SAMA5 device.  Perhaps that generalizes to a chain of
nodes linked together... I don't know.

I'm also not sure how these two devices might play into V4L2's
"subdev" concept.  Are they separate, independent sub devices of the
ISC, or are they a single sub device.

Any thoughts, intuition, pointers to existing code that addresses
questions such as these, would be welcome.

Thanks.

--wpd