* backing up a collection of snapshot subvolumes
@ 2017-04-25  4:02 J. Hart
From: J. Hart @ 2017-04-25  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I have a remote machine with a filesystem for which I periodically take
incremental snapshots for historical reasons.  These snapshots are
stored in an archival filesystem tree on a file server.  Older snapshots
are removed and newer ones added on a rotational basis.  I need to be
able to backup this archive by syncing it with a set of backup drives.
Due to the size, I need to back it up incrementally rather than sending
the entire content each time.  Due to the snapshot rotation, I need to
be able to update the state of the archive backup filesystem as a whole,
in much the same manner that rsync handles file trees.

It seems that I cannot use "btrfs send", as the archive directory
contains the snapshots as subvolumes.

I cannot use rsync as it treats subvolumes as simple directories, and
does not preserve subvolume attributes.  Rsync also does not support
reflinks, so the snapshot directory content will no longer be reflinked
to other snapshots on the archive backup.  I cannot use hard links in
the incrementals as hard links do not cross subvolume boundaries.

Thoughts anyone ?