* [Consult]: Can the coming Huawei scsi device handler be accepted in the scsi/device_handler
@ 2017-05-13  4:07 Guan Junxiong
From: Guan Junxiong @ 2017-05-13  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: agk, snitzer
  Cc: Zouming (IT), g00401709, Yang Feng, shenhong09, dm-devel, Hege (A)

Hello,Alasdair and Mike:
    I am going to add our vendor specific Huawei scsi device handler based on scsi_dh
framework into the linux/drivers/scsi/device_handler directory.
    Is it possible to be merged into the device handler list?

    I am looking forward to your reply.
    Best withes to you!

Junxiong Guan
Email: junxiongguan@huawei.com
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

* Re: [dm-devel] [Consult]: Can the coming Huawei scsi device handler be accepted in the scsi/device_handler
@ 2017-05-13  7:37 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-05-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guan Junxiong
  Cc: agk, snitzer, Zouming (IT),
	Yang Feng, shenhong09, dm-devel, Hege (A),
	linux-scsi

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 12:07:04PM +0800, Guan Junxiong wrote:
> Hello,Alasdair and Mike:
>     I am going to add our vendor specific Huawei scsi device handler based on scsi_dh
> framework into the linux/drivers/scsi/device_handler directory.
>     Is it possible to be merged into the device handler list?

Any new device must support ALUA, other device handlers are legacy
only.

And btw, the right list for this is linux-scsi.

* Re: [Consult]: Can the coming Huawei scsi device handler be accepted in the scsi/device_handler
@ 2017-05-15  4:08 ` Guan Junxiong
From: Guan Junxiong @ 2017-05-15  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Zouming (IT),
	linux-scsi, snitzer, Yang Feng, shenhong09, dm-devel, Hege (A),
	agk

Hi, Christoph Hellwig
  Thanks for your reply. But I am  a little confused:

  Our Huawei scsi device handler will support ALUA. Besides , some new enhancements such as error self negotiation
on the scsi (maybe NMVe in the future) error status handling to enhance reliability.  Here are two choices:
   1) Alter the scsi_dh_alua.c directly and make a generic way to handle error status.
   2) Add a new file named scsi_dh_huawei.c which implements the ALUA feature and error negotiation feature.

   Can those two choices be accepted by linux-scsi?

@ 2017-05-15  5:34   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-05-15  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guan Junxiong
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, agk, snitzer, Hege (A),
	shenhong09, Yang Feng, Zouming (IT),
	dm-devel, linux-scsi

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 12:08:12PM +0800, Guan Junxiong wrote:
> Hi, Christoph Hellwig
>   Thanks for your reply. But I am  a little confused:
>
>   Our Huawei scsi device handler will support ALUA. Besides , some new enhancements such as error self negotiation
> on the scsi (maybe NMVe in the future) error status handling to enhance reliability.  Here are two choices:
>    1) Alter the scsi_dh_alua.c directly and make a generic way to handle error status.
>    2) Add a new file named scsi_dh_huawei.c which implements the ALUA feature and error negotiation feature.
>
>    Can those two choices be accepted by linux-scsi?

The choice is

 (3) get your enhancements standardized in T10 and NVMe.