* Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-01 12:43 Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-06-01 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller, Eric Dumazet; +Cc: netdev, Alexei Starovoitov, it+linux-netdev

Dear David, dear Eric,

We noticed, that we manually apply commit 52bd2d62ce67 (net: better
skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation), present since v4.5-rc1,
to our Linux 4.4 images.

Would it be useful to have it included in the 4.4 series?

Kind regards,

Paul

* Re: Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-01 16:19 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2017-06-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pmenzel; +Cc: edumazet, netdev, ast, it+linux-netdev

Neither of us have anything to do with the 4.4 -stable series.  We only
manage stable backport submissions for the most recent two releases.

* Re: Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-01 17:32   ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-06-01 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller
  Cc: Eric Dumazet, netdev, ast, it+linux-netdev, Greg Kroah-Hartman

Dear David,

On 06/01/17 18:19, David Miller wrote:
> Neither of us have anything to do with the 4.4 -stable series.  We only
> manage stable backport submissions for the most recent two releases.

Thank you for the prompt response. Should the netdev FAQ be updated then
to contain that information?

> Q: How can I tell what patches are queued up for backporting to the
>    various stable releases?
>
> A: Normally Greg Kroah-Hartman collects stable commits himself, but
>    for networking, Dave collects up patches he deems critical for the
>    networking subsystem, and then hands them off to Greg.
>
>    There is a patchworks queue that you can see here:
>         http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/davem/stable/?state=*
>
>    It contains the patches which Dave has selected, but not yet handed
>    off to Greg.  If Greg already has the patch, then it will be here:
>         https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git
>
>    A quick way to find whether the patch is in this stable-queue is
>    to simply clone the repo, and then git grep the mainline commit ID, e.g.
>
>         stable-queue$ git grep -l 284041ef21fdf2e
>         releases/3.0.84/ipv6-fix-possible-crashes-in-ip6_cork_release.patch
>         releases/3.4.51/ipv6-fix-possible-crashes-in-ip6_cork_release.patch
>         releases/3.9.8/ipv6-fix-possible-crashes-in-ip6_cork_release.patch
>         stable/stable-queue$

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] Documentation/networking/netdev-FAQ.txt

* Re: Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-02 17:51     ` Cong Wang
From: Cong Wang @ 2017-06-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel
  Cc: David Miller, Eric Dumazet, Linux Kernel Network Developers,
	Alexei Starovoitov, it+linux-netdev, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
> Dear David,
>

> On 06/01/17 18:19, David Miller wrote:
>>
>> Neither of us have anything to do with the 4.4 -stable series.  We only
>> manage stable backport submissions for the most recent two releases.
>

> Thank you for the prompt response. Should the netdev FAQ be updated then to
> contain that information?

+1

It is quite helpful to know which stable releases contain network fixes
which don't, especially for those who rely on stable releases, at least
we could do backport by ourselves when we know they are missing.

* Re: Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-02 18:37       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2017-06-02 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xiyou.wangcong; +Cc: pmenzel, edumazet, netdev, ast, it+linux-netdev, gregkh

From: Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 10:51:39 -0700

> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>

>> On 06/01/17 18:19, David Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> Neither of us have anything to do with the 4.4 -stable series.  We only
>>> manage stable backport submissions for the most recent two releases.
>>

>> Thank you for the prompt response. Should the netdev FAQ be updated then to
>> contain that information?
>
> +1
>
> It is quite helpful to know which stable releases contain network fixes
> which don't, especially for those who rely on stable releases, at least
> we could do backport by ourselves when we know they are missing.

The people who maintain the -stable releases older than the ones Greg KH
are doing typically scan the ones that Greg applies and tries to integrate
them into their -stable releases when appropriate.

If someone wants to write an accurate description of that and how it works,
and add it to the FAQ, sure.

* Re: Cherry pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series?
@ 2017-06-02 21:37         ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-06-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller
  Cc: xiyou.wangcong, edumazet, netdev, ast, it+linux-netdev, gregkh

Dear David,

On 2017-06-02 20:37, David Miller wrote:
> From: Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 10:51:39 -0700
>
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you for the prompt response. Should the netdev FAQ be updated
>>> then to
>>> contain that information?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> It is quite helpful to know which stable releases contain network
>> fixes
>> which don't, especially for those who rely on stable releases, at
>> least
>> we could do backport by ourselves when we know they are missing.
>
> The people who maintain the -stable releases older than the ones Greg
> KH
> are doing typically scan the ones that Greg applies and tries to
> integrate
> them into their -stable releases when appropriate.

My understanding is, that Greg maintains the 4.4 (LTS) and 4.9 (LTS)
series.

> If someone wants to write an accurate description of that and how it
> works,
> and add it to the FAQ, sure.

I can do that, when I understand the policy.

Kind regards,

Paul

* Please cherry-pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series
@ 2017-06-11  9:23   ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-06-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: it+linux-stable

Dear Linux folks,

Commit 52bd2d62ce (net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id
cohabitation) fixes bugs in our network stack, and is in Linux since
v4.5-rc1. Please cherry-pick it to Linux 4.4. We have been doing this
since over a year on our systems.

Kind regards,

Paul

* Re: Please cherry-pick commit *net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id cohabitation* to 4.4 series
@ 2017-06-12 12:35     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-06-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: stable, it+linux-stable

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 11:23:27AM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Linux folks,
>

> Commit 52bd2d62ce (net: better skb->sender_cpu and skb->napi_id
> cohabitation) fixes bugs in our network stack, and is in Linux since
> v4.5-rc1. Please cherry-pick it to Linux 4.4. We have been doing this
> since over a year on our systems.

Now queued up, thanks.

greg k-h