* ausearch message type omissions
@ 2017-07-13 20:54 Richard Guy Briggs
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2017-07-13 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Hi,

In the process of creating/updating the audit message/record type
dictionary, I stumbled on the following two message types missing from
ausearch -m text:

This one is in the userspace header file.  What is its meaning and is it
a printable record?

	AUDIT_DAEMON_RECONFIG,1204,Auditd should reconfigure

This was added to test if a daemon was still listening and should be
logged that an attempt was made to replace it.

	AUDIT_REPLACE,1329,Replace auditd if this probe unanswerd

Thanks!

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rbriggs@redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer, Kernel Security, AMER ENG Base Operating Systems, Red Hat

* Re: ausearch message type omissions
@ 2017-07-13 21:09 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2017-07-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Richard Guy Briggs

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:54:39 PM EDT Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> In the process of creating/updating the audit message/record type
> dictionary, I stumbled on the following two message types missing from
> ausearch -m text:
>
> This one is in the userspace header file.  What is its meaning and is it
> a printable record?
>
> 	AUDIT_DAEMON_RECONFIG,1204,Auditd should reconfigure

This is an internal only message that never gets written to disk. This gets
changed into DAEMON_CONFIG and  that is what is on-disk.

> This was added to test if a daemon was still listening and should be
> logged that an attempt was made to replace it.
>
> 	AUDIT_REPLACE,1329,Replace auditd if this probe unanswerd

These are discarded.

-Steve

* Re: ausearch message type omissions
@ 2017-07-13 23:14   ` Richard Guy Briggs
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2017-07-13 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

On 2017-07-13 17:09, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:54:39 PM EDT Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> > In the process of creating/updating the audit message/record type
> > dictionary, I stumbled on the following two message types missing from
> > ausearch -m text:
> >
> > This one is in the userspace header file.  What is its meaning and is it
> > a printable record?
> >
> > 	AUDIT_DAEMON_RECONFIG,1204,Auditd should reconfigure
>
> This is an internal only message that never gets written to disk. This gets
> changed into DAEMON_CONFIG and  that is what is on-disk.

Good, perfect, I'll ignore.

> > This was added to test if a daemon was still listening and should be
> > logged that an attempt was made to replace it.
> >
> > 	AUDIT_REPLACE,1329,Replace auditd if this probe unanswerd
>
> These are discarded.

Good, ignore again.  Just checking.  :-)

> -Steve

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems