* USB Passthrough support X86_64
@ 2017-07-20  7:35 Ajmal M Ali
From: Ajmal M Ali @ 2017-07-20  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen Maillist

I am trying to do USB passthrough in x86_64. I have Ubuntu as Dom0 and DomU.

*Dom0 : Linux teltvm0881 4.8.0-58-generic #63~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26
18:08:51 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux*

*DomU : Linux xen-guest-pv 4.12.0-custom #4 SMP Tue Jul 11 17:14:53 IST
2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux*

I had earlier, rebuild the kernel from kernel.orgto add PCI passthrough
support which was successful.

But when i try to do USB passthrough, as given in,

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough

it dont work.ie.

*# xl usbctrl-attach xen-guest-pv version=1 ports=8*

*libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2423:libxl__dm_check_start: device model required
but not running*

*libxl: error: libxl.c:2012:device_addrm_aocomplete: unable to add device*

*libxl_device_usbctrl_add failed.*

Why is this?

i am trying to hotplug my usb. I haveint made any changes in the config
file, as i assumed it wont be needed for hotplug, also i didnt have to do
it for pci passthrough. Should i?

Also, i cannot find any usbback and frond in my PC.

*# lsmod | grep pci*

*xen_pciback 61440 0*

*but,*

*# lsmod | grep usb*

back driver is not displayed. I tried to rebuild the kernel but I cannot
find any configuration regarding usb in my kernel configuration.

Is the usb passthrough support merged with the latest stable kernel in
kernel.org?

If yes, What all configuration should I enable in my config?

Regards,

Ajeesh

* Re: USB Passthrough support X86_64
@ 2017-07-21  8:28 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-07-21  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajmal M Ali; +Cc: Juergen Gross, George Dunlap, Wei Liu, Xen Maillist

CC Juergen and George

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 01:05:20PM +0530, Ajmal M Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to do USB passthrough in x86_64. I have Ubuntu as Dom0 and DomU.
>

> *Dom0 : Linux teltvm0881 4.8.0-58-generic #63~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26
> 18:08:51 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux*
>
> *DomU : Linux xen-guest-pv 4.12.0-custom #4 SMP Tue Jul 11 17:14:53 IST
> 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux*
>

> I had earlier, rebuild the kernel from kernel.orgto add PCI passthrough
> support which was successful.
>
> But when i try to do USB passthrough, as given in,
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough
>
> it dont work.ie.
>

> *# xl usbctrl-attach xen-guest-pv version=1 ports=8*
>
> *libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2423:libxl__dm_check_start: device model required
> but not running*
>
> *libxl: error: libxl.c:2012:device_addrm_aocomplete: unable to add device*
>
> *libxl_device_usbctrl_add failed.*
>

> Why is this?

USB passthrough requires the device model. There is currently no
provision in toolstack to spawn a device model on demand.

The easiest workaround is to add one device (vfb?) that would require
spawning a device model when creating the domain.

@ 2017-07-21  8:39   ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-07-21  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Ajmal M Ali; +Cc: George Dunlap, Xen Maillist

On 21/07/17 10:28, Wei Liu wrote:
> CC Juergen and George
>
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 01:05:20PM +0530, Ajmal M Ali wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to do USB passthrough in x86_64. I have Ubuntu as Dom0 and DomU.
>>

>> *Dom0 : Linux teltvm0881 4.8.0-58-generic #63~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26
>> 18:08:51 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux*
>>
>> *DomU : Linux xen-guest-pv 4.12.0-custom #4 SMP Tue Jul 11 17:14:53 IST
>> 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux*
>>

>> I had earlier, rebuild the kernel from kernel.orgto add PCI passthrough
>> support which was successful.
>>
>> But when i try to do USB passthrough, as given in,
>>
>> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough
>>
>> it dont work.ie.
>>

>> *# xl usbctrl-attach xen-guest-pv version=1 ports=8*
>>
>> *libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2423:libxl__dm_check_start: device model required
>> but not running*
>>
>> *libxl: error: libxl.c:2012:device_addrm_aocomplete: unable to add device*
>>
>> *libxl_device_usbctrl_add failed.*
>>

>> Why is this?
>
> USB passthrough requires the device model. There is currently no
> provision in toolstack to spawn a device model on demand.
>
> The easiest workaround is to add one device (vfb?) that would require
> spawning a device model when creating the domain.
>

>> i am trying to hotplug my usb. I haveint made any changes in the config
>> file, as i assumed it wont be needed for hotplug, also i didnt have to do
>> it for pci passthrough. Should i?
>>
>> Also, i cannot find any usbback and frond in my PC.

Uuh, yes. I've sent some patches to LKML for pvUSB frontend support
about 2 years ago:

https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-06/msg03436.html

I didn't find any time since then to address all comments. Maybe I
should finish that task...

The patches should still work fine, AFAIK.

Juergen

* Re: USB Passthrough support X86_64
@ 2017-07-21  8:47     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2017-07-21  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: George Dunlap, Wei Liu, Ajmal M Ali, Xen Maillist

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:39:36AM +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:

> > USB passthrough requires the device model. There is currently no
> > provision in toolstack to spawn a device model on demand.
> >
> > The easiest workaround is to add one device (vfb?) that would require
> > spawning a device model when creating the domain.
> >

> >> i am trying to hotplug my usb. I haveint made any changes in the config
> >> file, as i assumed it wont be needed for hotplug, also i didnt have to do
> >> it for pci passthrough. Should i?
> >>
> >> Also, i cannot find any usbback and frond in my PC.
>
> Uuh, yes. I've sent some patches to LKML for pvUSB frontend support
> about 2 years ago:
>
> https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-06/msg03436.html
>
> I didn't find any time since then to address all comments. Maybe I
> should finish that task...

That'd be awesome! :)

> The patches should still work fine, AFAIK.

Good to know.

-- Pasi

@ 2017-08-03  9:18       ` Ajmal M Ali
From: Ajmal M Ali @ 2017-08-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen Maillist; +Cc: George Dunlap, Juergen Gross, Wei Liu

@ 2017-08-03  9:26         ` Ajmal M Ali
From: Ajmal M Ali @ 2017-08-03  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen Maillist; +Cc: George Dunlap, Juergen Gross, Wei Liu

I need USB Passthrough for my work(pv). For that I am trying to write USB
front and back drivers. Besides these what else is needed for the
Passthrough to work?
Should I have to also do the part to add device model(xl) or is it already
done.

I got some patches for adding the front-end driver. Have anyone worked on
backend for usb?

If anyone could point me to anything that might help, that would be
wonderful. I have minimal experience in Linux driver.

Regards
Ajmal

@ 2017-08-03  9:29           ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-08-03  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajmal M Ali, Xen Maillist; +Cc: George Dunlap, Wei Liu

On 03/08/17 11:26, Ajmal M Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need USB Passthrough for my work(pv). For that I am trying to write
> USB front and back drivers. Besides these what else is needed for the
> Passthrough to work?
> Should I have to also do the part to add device model(xl) or is it
> already done.

Done already.

> I got some patches for adding the front-end driver. Have anyone worked
> on backend for usb?

Its part of qemu (userland backend).

Juergen

@ 2017-08-03  9:40             ` Ajmal M Ali