* XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-22 21:10 Ruoxin Jiang
From: Ruoxin Jiang @ 2017-08-22 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs; +Cc: Suman Jana

Hello,

We are researchers from Columbia University, New York. As part of our
current research we have run into some issues using xfs filesystem.
For example, we encountered a case where the setuid bit of a modified
executable was not removed as desired.

We have attached three cases, one involving the setuid bit in
directory 1, and a data corruption issue in directory 2. In directory
3 is a semantic discrepancy we discovered between xfs and other
popular filesystems (ext4/btrfs) regarding the setgid bit.

In each directory, you will find a Readme describing the issue and
pointing to the code that may lead to the issue. For your convenience,
we also included test programs (min.cpp) and instructions in Readme to
help reproduce the issues.

We tried to report them on bugzilla@oss.sig.com but the website seems
to be down. We would appreciate very much if you could confirm the
three cases at your conveniences.

Thanks,
Amy

[-- Attachment #2: xfs_issues.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 2550 bytes --]

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-22 22:33 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2017-08-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs; +Cc: Suman Jana

On 8/22/17 4:10 PM, Ruoxin Jiang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are researchers from Columbia University, New York. As part of our
> current research we have run into some issues using xfs filesystem.
> For example, we encountered a case where the setuid bit of a modified
> executable was not removed as desired.

Thanks for the reports.

For case 1:

> * In xfs, function `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` calls `file_remove_privs` which
> removes special file priviledges when the executable is written to or truncated.
>
> * If an DIO write is not aligned to device logical sector size, the syscall
> fails with  EINVAL` before `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` is called. Thus the setuid
> bit will not be removed from the modified executable.

If the write did not happen, why should the setuid bit be removed?
The write failed and the file's contents were not modified.  It seems
like xfs's behavior makes sense; is there a posix specification that
indicates the behavior should be different?

Case 2 does look problematic (failed mmap write extending the file EOF)

Case 3 seems to show xfs violating this rule, I guess?

       When  the  owner or group of an executable file are changed by a
       non-superuser, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID mode  bits  are  cleared.
       POSIX does not specify whether this also should happen when root
       does the chown(); the Linux behavior depends on the kernel  ver-
       sion.   In  case  of  a non-group-executable file (i.e., one for
       which the S_IXGRP bit is not  set)  the  S_ISGID  bit  indicates
       mandatory locking, and is not cleared by a chown().

I thought this was all handled at the vfs, though, odd.

-Eric

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-22 22:43   ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2017-08-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs; +Cc: Suman Jana

On 8/22/17 5:33 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 8/22/17 4:10 PM, Ruoxin Jiang wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are researchers from Columbia University, New York. As part of our
>> current research we have run into some issues using xfs filesystem.
>> For example, we encountered a case where the setuid bit of a modified
>> executable was not removed as desired.
>
> Thanks for the reports.
>
> For case 1:
>
>> * In xfs, function `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` calls `file_remove_privs` which
>> removes special file priviledges when the executable is written to or truncated.
>>
>> * If an DIO write is not aligned to device logical sector size, the syscall
>> fails with  EINVAL` before `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` is called. Thus the setuid
>> bit will not be removed from the modified executable.
>
> If the write did not happen, why should the setuid bit be removed?
> The write failed and the file's contents were not modified.  It seems
> like xfs's behavior makes sense; is there a posix specification that
> indicates the behavior should be different?

In fact, POSIX says:

"/Upon successful completion/ where nbyte is greater than 0, write() shall mark for update the st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the file, and if the file is a regular file, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID bits of the file mode may be cleared."

(emphasis mine ... in your case, the write did not successfully complete, and 0 bytes were written)

-Eric

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-22 23:28   ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2017-08-22 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs, Suman Jana

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 05:33:24PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 8/22/17 4:10 PM, Ruoxin Jiang wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are researchers from Columbia University, New York. As part of our
> > current research we have run into some issues using xfs filesystem.
> > For example, we encountered a case where the setuid bit of a modified
> > executable was not removed as desired.
>
> Thanks for the reports.
>
> For case 1:
>
> > * In xfs, function `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` calls `file_remove_privs` which
> > removes special file priviledges when the executable is written to or truncated.
> >
> > * If an DIO write is not aligned to device logical sector size, the syscall
> > fails with  EINVAL` before `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` is called. Thus the setuid
> > bit will not be removed from the modified executable.
>
> If the write did not happen, why should the setuid bit be removed?
> The write failed and the file's contents were not modified.  It seems
> like xfs's behavior makes sense; is there a posix specification that
> indicates the behavior should be different?
>
> Case 2 does look problematic (failed mmap write extending the file EOF)

mmap should not be able to extend the file at all. It should segv
if an attempt to write past EOF occurs.

> Case 3 seems to show xfs violating this rule, I guess?
>
>        When  the  owner or group of an executable file are changed by a
>        non-superuser, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID mode  bits  are  cleared.
>        POSIX does not specify whether this also should happen when root
>        does the chown(); the Linux behavior depends on the kernel  ver-
>        sion.   In  case  of  a non-group-executable file (i.e., one for
>        which the S_IXGRP bit is not  set)  the  S_ISGID  bit  indicates
>        mandatory locking, and is not cleared by a chown().
>
> I thought this was all handled at the vfs, though, odd.

xfs_setattr_nonsize() does:

                /*
                 * CAP_FSETID overrides the following restrictions:
                 *
                 * The set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of a file will be
                 * cleared upon successful return from chown()
                 */
                if ((inode->i_mode & (S_ISUID|S_ISGID)) &&
                    !capable(CAP_FSETID))
                        inode->i_mode &= ~(S_ISUID|S_ISGID);

Whereas the VFS has this check in should_remove_suid():

        /*
         * sgid without any exec bits is just a mandatory locking mark; leave
         * it alone.  If some exec bits are set, it's a real sgid; kill it.
         */
        if (unlikely((mode & S_ISGID) && (mode & S_IXGRP)))
                kill |= ATTR_KILL_SGID;

	if (unlikely(kill && !capable(CAP_FSETID) && S_ISREG(mode)))
                return kill;

So the VFS is doing the right thing but the XFS code does it's own
thing for reasons I don't remember. Given the VFS handles this, maybe
we should finally remove it from the XFS code?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-23  2:20     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2017-08-23  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs, Suman Jana

On 8/22/17 6:28 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 05:33:24PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>> Case 3 seems to show xfs violating this rule, I guess?
>>
>>        When  the  owner or group of an executable file are changed by a
>>        non-superuser, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID mode  bits  are  cleared.
>>        POSIX does not specify whether this also should happen when root
>>        does the chown(); the Linux behavior depends on the kernel  ver-
>>        sion.   In  case  of  a non-group-executable file (i.e., one for
>>        which the S_IXGRP bit is not  set)  the  S_ISGID  bit  indicates
>>        mandatory locking, and is not cleared by a chown().
>>
>> I thought this was all handled at the vfs, though, odd.
>
> xfs_setattr_nonsize() does:
>
>                 /*
>                  * CAP_FSETID overrides the following restrictions:
>                  *
>                  * The set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of a file will be
>                  * cleared upon successful return from chown()
>                  */
>                 if ((inode->i_mode & (S_ISUID|S_ISGID)) &&
>                     !capable(CAP_FSETID))
>                         inode->i_mode &= ~(S_ISUID|S_ISGID);
>
> Whereas the VFS has this check in should_remove_suid():
>
>         /*
>          * sgid without any exec bits is just a mandatory locking mark; leave
>          * it alone.  If some exec bits are set, it's a real sgid; kill it.
>          */
>         if (unlikely((mode & S_ISGID) && (mode & S_IXGRP)))
>                 kill |= ATTR_KILL_SGID;
>
> 	if (unlikely(kill && !capable(CAP_FSETID) && S_ISREG(mode)))
>                 return kill;

Thanks, not sure why I didn't find that.

> So the VFS is doing the right thing but the XFS code does it's own
> thing for reasons I don't remember. Given the VFS handles this, maybe
> we should finally remove it from the XFS code?

Yep, probably another remnant of irix code not having a vfs to rely on
as much?

And at least one version of POSIX says:

"If the specified file is a regular file, one or more of the S_IXUSR,
S_IXGRP, or S_IXOTH bits of the file mode are set, and the process has
appropriate privileges, it is implementation-defined whether the
set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits are altered."

Sooo I suppose that was just the Irix implementation ;)

I wonder if LTP tests this, I would have expected it to.

-Eric

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-23 16:35     ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2017-08-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs, Suman Jana

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:28:31AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 05:33:24PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > On 8/22/17 4:10 PM, Ruoxin Jiang wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > We are researchers from Columbia University, New York. As part of our
> > > current research we have run into some issues using xfs filesystem.
> > > For example, we encountered a case where the setuid bit of a modified
> > > executable was not removed as desired.
> >
> > Thanks for the reports.
> >
> > For case 1:
> >
> > > * In xfs, function `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` calls `file_remove_privs` which
> > > removes special file priviledges when the executable is written to or truncated.
> > >
> > > * If an DIO write is not aligned to device logical sector size, the syscall
> > > fails with  EINVAL` before `xfs_file_aio_write_checks` is called. Thus the setuid
> > > bit will not be removed from the modified executable.
> >
> > If the write did not happen, why should the setuid bit be removed?
> > The write failed and the file's contents were not modified.  It seems
> > like xfs's behavior makes sense; is there a posix specification that
> > indicates the behavior should be different?
> >
> > Case 2 does look problematic (failed mmap write extending the file EOF)
>
> mmap should not be able to extend the file at all. It should segv
> if an attempt to write past EOF occurs.

  const char *filename = "file0";

  r[0] = creat(filename, 00666);
  r[1] = write(r[0], "1234567890", 10);
  printf("write()=%ld, errno=%d\n", r[1], errno);

Ok, so we create "file0" as r[0] and write 10 bytes...

  r[2] = creat(filename, 00444);

...then open again as r[2] and truncate it...

  r[3] = write(r[2], "A", 1);

...and write a single byte to the truncated file.  i_size is now 1, and
we have two file descriptions r0 and r2 both pointing to it.  r0's
position is 10 and r2's position is 1.

  printf("write()=%ld, errno=%d\n", r[3], errno);

  r[4] = syscall(__NR_mmap, 0x20000000ul, 0xc000ul, 0x0ul, 0x32ul,
                         0xfffffffffffffffful, 0x0ul, 0, 0, 0);

Create a 48k mapping at 0x20000000 to some anonymous memory... with
PROT_NONE.

  r[5] = syscall(__NR_write, r[0], 0x2000b000ul, 0x1ul, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
  printf("write()=%ld, errno=%d\n", r[5], errno);

Then try to write 1 byte to r0 (whose pos is 10) from this anonymous
region, which bails out with EFAULT because the region is PROT_NONE.
This is effectively pwrite(r[0], <unreadable>, 1, 10);

Therefore, it's not an mmap write that extends the file length, it's the
write call that moves out EOF in preparation for the write, only to have
the buffered write fail because the process doesn't have read access to
the memory buffer.

Not sure what to do about this corner case, though -- I guess you could
check that at least the first byte of the write will succeed, and only
then call xfs_zero_eof.  Could still be a TOCTOU race though.

Thoughts?

--D

> > Case 3 seems to show xfs violating this rule, I guess?
> >
> >        When  the  owner or group of an executable file are changed by a
> >        non-superuser, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID mode  bits  are  cleared.
> >        POSIX does not specify whether this also should happen when root
> >        does the chown(); the Linux behavior depends on the kernel  ver-
> >        sion.   In  case  of  a non-group-executable file (i.e., one for
> >        which the S_IXGRP bit is not  set)  the  S_ISGID  bit  indicates
> >        mandatory locking, and is not cleared by a chown().
> >
> > I thought this was all handled at the vfs, though, odd.
>
> xfs_setattr_nonsize() does:
>
>                 /*
>                  * CAP_FSETID overrides the following restrictions:
>                  *
>                  * The set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of a file will be
>                  * cleared upon successful return from chown()
>                  */
>                 if ((inode->i_mode & (S_ISUID|S_ISGID)) &&
>                     !capable(CAP_FSETID))
>                         inode->i_mode &= ~(S_ISUID|S_ISGID);
>
> Whereas the VFS has this check in should_remove_suid():
>
>         /*
>          * sgid without any exec bits is just a mandatory locking mark; leave
>          * it alone.  If some exec bits are set, it's a real sgid; kill it.
>          */
>         if (unlikely((mode & S_ISGID) && (mode & S_IXGRP)))
>                 kill |= ATTR_KILL_SGID;
>
> 	if (unlikely(kill && !capable(CAP_FSETID) && S_ISREG(mode)))
>                 return kill;
>
> So the VFS is doing the right thing but the XFS code does it's own
> thing for reasons I don't remember. Given the VFS handles this, maybe
> we should finally remove it from the XFS code?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner
> david@fromorbit.com

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-23 23:59       ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2017-08-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs, Suman Jana

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:35:43AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:28:31AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > Thanks for the reports.
> > >
> > > For case 1:

> > > If the write did not happen, why should the setuid bit be removed?
> > > The write failed and the file's contents were not modified.  It seems
> > > like xfs's behavior makes sense; is there a posix specification that
> > > indicates the behavior should be different?
> > >
> > > Case 2 does look problematic (failed mmap write extending the file EOF)
> >
> > mmap should not be able to extend the file at all. It should segv
> > if an attempt to write past EOF occurs.

> Create a 48k mapping at 0x20000000 to some anonymous memory... with
> PROT_NONE.
>
>   r[5] = syscall(__NR_write, r[0], 0x2000b000ul, 0x1ul, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
>   printf("write()=%ld, errno=%d\n", r[5], errno);
>
> Then try to write 1 byte to r0 (whose pos is 10) from this anonymous
> region, which bails out with EFAULT because the region is PROT_NONE.
> This is effectively pwrite(r[0], <unreadable>, 1, 10);

My bad - I didn't look at the code for that case, I was just
commenting on Eric's statement about mmap extending the file.

> Therefore, it's not an mmap write that extends the file length, it's the
> write call that moves out EOF in preparation for the write, only to have
> the buffered write fail because the process doesn't have read access to
> the memory buffer.
>
> Not sure what to do about this corner case, though -- I guess you could
> check that at least the first byte of the write will succeed, and only
> then call xfs_zero_eof.  Could still be a TOCTOU race though.
>
> Thoughts?

The zeroing succeeded, yes? So there's no stale data exposure at
all?

Given it's such a whacky corner case, do we really care what
happens to the file size on error as long as we don't expose stale
data?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: XFS Bug Report
@ 2017-08-24  0:26         ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2017-08-24  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, Ruoxin Jiang, linux-xfs, Suman Jana

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 09:59:46AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:35:43AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > mmap should not be able to extend the file at all. It should segv
> > > if an attempt to write past EOF occurs.

> > Create a 48k mapping at 0x20000000 to some anonymous memory... with
> > PROT_NONE.
> >
> >   r[5] = syscall(__NR_write, r[0], 0x2000b000ul, 0x1ul, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
> >   printf("write()=%ld, errno=%d\n", r[5], errno);
> >
> > Then try to write 1 byte to r0 (whose pos is 10) from this anonymous
> > region, which bails out with EFAULT because the region is PROT_NONE.
> > This is effectively pwrite(r[0], <unreadable>, 1, 10);
>
> My bad - I didn't look at the code for that case, I was just
> commenting on Eric's statement about mmap extending the file.
>
> > Therefore, it's not an mmap write that extends the file length, it's the
> > write call that moves out EOF in preparation for the write, only to have
> > the buffered write fail because the process doesn't have read access to
> > the memory buffer.
> >
> > Not sure what to do about this corner case, though -- I guess you could
> > check that at least the first byte of the write will succeed, and only
> > then call xfs_zero_eof.  Could still be a TOCTOU race though.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> The zeroing succeeded, yes? So there's no stale data exposure at
> all?

Correct.

> Given it's such a whacky corner case, do we really care what
> happens to the file size on error as long as we don't expose stale
> data?

I'd just as soon focus on sharper problems, so I'll just throw out the
usual "patches welcomed" and see if anyone feels motivated to fix this.

:)

--D