* [Buildroot] Failed to build libexoxy with nvidia-driver
@ 2017-08-28 15:53 Alexandre Maumené
From: Alexandre Maumené @ 2017-08-28 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I'm trying to build libepoxy with nvidia-driver but it fails with this
error:

checking for EGL... no
configure: error: Package requirements (egl) were not met:

Package egl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `egl.pc'
Package 'egl', required by 'world', not found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables EGL_CFLAGS
and EGL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I'm new to buildroot and I don't know much about Nvidia binary drivers.
Any help will be more than welcome.

* [Buildroot] Failed to build libexoxy with nvidia-driver
@ 2017-08-28 20:57 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 28-08-17 17:53, Alexandre Maumen? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build libepoxy with nvidia-driver but it fails with this
> error:
>
> checking for EGL... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (egl) were not met:
>
> Package egl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `egl.pc'
> Package 'egl', required by 'world', not found

 Indeed, nvidia-driver selects BR2_PACKAGE_HAS_LIBEGL but doesn't install egl.pc
(it does install gl.pc). And there's also no glesv2.pc. J?r?me, Yann, could you
look into it?

 Perhaps we should add a check in the lib*gl* virtual packages that they install
a .pc file...

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2017-08-29  2:13   ` Alexandre Maumené
From: Alexandre Maumené @ 2017-08-29  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I've copied the egl.pc from
package/nvidia-tegra23/nvidia-tegra23-binaries/egl.pc to
package/nvidia-driver and added this line $(INSTALL) -D -m 0644
package/nvidia-driver/egl.pc $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib/pkgconfig/egl.pc to
package/nvidia-driver/nvidia-drive.mk and it seems to compile fine now.

Thanks for your help :)

@ 2017-08-29 15:40   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2017-08-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Arnout, All,

On 2017-08-28 22:57 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle spake thusly:
> On 28-08-17 17:53, Alexandre Maumen? wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build libepoxy with nvidia-driver but it fails with this
> > error:
> >
> > checking for EGL... no
> > configure: error: Package requirements (egl) were not met:
> >
> > Package egl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `egl.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > Package 'egl', required by 'world', not found
>
>  Indeed, nvidia-driver selects BR2_PACKAGE_HAS_LIBEGL but doesn't install egl.pc
> (it does install gl.pc). And there's also no glesv2.pc. J?r?me, Yann, could you
> look into it?

I see Alexandre already reported sucess and explained the hack he did.
I'll look into submiting a proper patch soonish.

>  Perhaps we should add a check in the lib*gl* virtual packages that they install
> a .pc file...

Gut feelings only, but no. It is perfectly legit to be a provider of EGL
(or whatever other GL stuff) and not provide a .pc file with that.

However, I can see the benefit for consistency. But then, it puts some
burden on the packager which upstream do not provide a .pc file, to
write their own... :-/

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Failed to build libexoxy with nvidia-driver
@ 2017-08-29 15:53     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:40:54 +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> >  Perhaps we should add a check in the lib*gl* virtual packages that they install
> > a .pc file...
>
> Gut feelings only, but no. It is perfectly legit to be a provider of EGL
> (or whatever other GL stuff) and not provide a .pc file with that.
>
> However, I can see the benefit for consistency. But then, it puts some
> burden on the packager which upstream do not provide a .pc file, to
> write their own... :-/

Not having a .pc file for EGL/OpenGLES, etc. will break lots and lots
of packages. So I think it is a good idea to force people submitting
OpenGL implementations to make sure a .pc file is installed.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering