* Running wic on target?
@ 2017-08-31  7:17 Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2017-08-31  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I noticed that the "wic" recipes appear to focus on the host only.

Would it be possible to run "wic" on target?

For example, it would be really convenient to be able to program the eMMC
using wic and auto-expanding the root or data partition to cover the whole device.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products
Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

* Re: Running wic on target?
@ 2017-08-31  7:38 ` Ed Bartosh
From: Ed Bartosh @ 2017-08-31  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:17:03AM +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I noticed that the "wic" recipes appear to focus on the host only.
>
> Would it be possible to run "wic" on target?
>
> For example, it would be really convenient to be able to program the eMMC
> using wic and auto-expanding the root or data partition to cover the whole
> device.

Wic depends on too many things that are not present on target image.
pseudo and bitbake are two hardest cases. Making wic less dependent on
them would end up in much more complex code than wic has currently.

However, 'wic write [--expand]' functionality can be copied to simple script
relatively easy as it only depends on bunch of tools like parted, sfdisk,
resize2fs etc. I'd suggest to keep this functionality in wic as it's
handy to use wic to flash target media. This would create a bit of
overlap in functionality but it worth it from my point of view.

Ed