* [cip-dev] CIP kernel debian packages available?
@ 2017-09-15  7:35 Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2017-09-15  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

i would like to integrate a CIP kernel into an x86_64 debian9, for
starters a defconfig would be good enough. Is there by any chance a
debian repo with cip kernels in it?

regards,
Henning

* [cip-dev] CIP kernel debian packages available?
@ 2017-09-15 13:52 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2017-09-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 09:35 +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i would like to integrate a CIP kernel into an x86_64 debian9, for
> starters a defconfig would be good enough. Is there by any chance a
> debian repo with cip kernels in it?

Is this intended for Siemens use or for all CIP members with
applications using x86_64?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

* [cip-dev] CIP kernel debian packages available?
@ 2017-09-15 14:04   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2017-09-15 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 2017-09-15 15:52, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 09:35 +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i would like to integrate a CIP kernel into an x86_64 debian9, for
>> starters a defconfig would be good enough. Is there by any chance a
>> debian repo with cip kernels in it?
>
> Is this intended for Siemens use or for all CIP members with
> applications using x86_64?

We are currently the one with the immediate use case, but I could
imagine that having such packages for x86-64 and maybe later on also
i386 and arm64 would be beneficial for others as well. It's a matter of
logistics and effort (at least initially).

What do others think?

Jan
--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE

* [cip-dev] CIP kernel debian packages available?
@ 2017-09-15 15:10   ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2017-09-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Am Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:52:43 +0100
schrieb Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@codethink.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 09:35 +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i would like to integrate a CIP kernel into an x86_64 debian9, for
> > starters a defconfig would be good enough. Is there by any chance a
> > debian repo with cip kernels in it?
>
> Is this intended for Siemens use or for all CIP members with
> applications using x86_64?

Seems like the answer is, No there is no such repo.
Ideally such a repo would be for all archs and all CIP members, or
basically just for everyone. But i understand that building kernel
packages and maintaining configs causes more work. And i do not even
know whether other CIP members are even interested in debian.

Henning

@ 2017-09-15 15:27     ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2017-09-15 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 16:04 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2017-09-15 15:52, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 09:35 +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i would like to integrate a CIP kernel into an x86_64 debian9, for
> >> starters a defconfig would be good enough. Is there by any chance a
> >> debian repo with cip kernels in it?
> >
> > Is this intended for Siemens use or for all CIP members with
> > applications using x86_64?
>
> We are currently the one with the immediate use case, but I could
> imagine that having such packages for x86-64 and maybe later on also
> i386 and arm64 would be beneficial for others as well. It's a matter of
> logistics and effort (at least initially).

So long as you want your own kernel config, I would suggest building
packages using
'make foo_defconfig && make deb-pkg' (substitute your preferred name for
'foo').  Since Linux 4.3 this builds both source and binary packages, so
it should be easy to satisfy your source distribution requirements this
way.

If we get to a point where members can use the CIP branch without
further patches and can share common configuration per-architecture,
then it may be worth making a fork of Debian's official kernel
packaging.  But if not, I think that will be more trouble to maintain
than it's worth.

Ben.

--

@ 2017-09-15 15:43       ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2017-09-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Am Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:27:44 +0100
schrieb Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@codethink.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 16:04 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> > > Is this intended for Siemens use or for all CIP members with
> > > applications using x86_64?
> >
> > We are currently the one with the immediate use case, but I could
> > imagine that having such packages for x86-64 and maybe later on also
> > i386 and arm64 would be beneficial for others as well. It's a
> > matter of logistics and effort (at least initially).
>
> So long as you want your own kernel config, I would suggest building
> packages using
> 'make foo_defconfig && make deb-pkg' (substitute your preferred name
> for 'foo').  Since Linux 4.3 this builds both source and binary
> packages, so it should be easy to satisfy your source distribution
> requirements this way.

Thanks, that is exactly what i was doing already.

> If we get to a point where members can use the CIP branch without
> further patches and can share common configuration per-architecture,
> then it may be worth making a fork of Debian's official kernel
> packaging.  But if not, I think that will be more trouble to maintain
> than it's worth.

Sure, i never wanted to suggest that we need that, i just wanted to
know whether it already exists.

Henning